Homegrown Terrorism

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-17-2012 10:15 AM

They better build over a bomb shelter. No wait, that's a root cellar... yeah, that's it.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 06-17-2012 09:49 PM

A very good thread!!!!

Heres a good video about Freedom (Which we are losing at quite a disturbing rate)

THE RIVER OF FREEDOM: http://www.youtube.com/v/ABKLirW24LE

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-18-2012 10:21 AM

Squid - Heirloom Seeds - good ones! They are originals not hybrids...do keep well.

Some problems with heirloom types - they require more work as they do not "bush" well, need to be staked, need to have a lot more work to keep bugs off. Hybrids have solved a few of those problems, but still require work to get the most produce.

--
I will highly recommend the weed/moisture paper to help keep down weeds and keep moisture in ground for your plants. AND you can roll them up and re-use them for several years. YES you can use black/white pages of newspapers as well.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-18-2012 12:30 PM

Squid,

I think you would enjoy this group - I did belong years ago and they have a terrific seed exchange group going for all types of Heirloom seeds

http://www.seedsavers.org/

I have heirloom Nigella (Love in a Mist) and some for this wonderful little bulb which I don't know the name of the bulb but very small and pretty and so prolific.

Would be happy to send any heirloom seeds I have to you.

Editing to say I confused this thread with the "Homegrown Terrorism" and a post from 2008 relative to Heirloom seeds.

Good grief - Fan please move if you like:(

[*** edit: moved by Squidink ***]
Last edited by Diogenes on 06-19-2012 09:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.
A man's character is his fate

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-19-2012 08:56 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Squid - Heirloom Seeds - good ones! They are originals not hybrids...do keep well.

Some problems with heirloom types - they require more work as they do not "bush" well, need to be staked, need to have a lot more work to keep bugs off. Hybrids have solved a few of those problems, but still require work to get the most produce.

--
I will highly recommend the weed/moisture paper to help keep down weeds and keep moisture in ground for your plants. AND you can roll them up and re-use them for several years. YES you can use black/white pages of newspapers as well.

Wow... CK, thanks you again for your contribution in this thread. You refer to 'moisture paper' - can I get that at the nursery? I assume the paper is not moist, but desiccates the seeds?

Related: http://www.seedforsecurity.com/article.php?articleid=27
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-19-2012 09:16 AM

Diogenes wrote: Squid,

I think you would enjoy this group - I did belong years ago and they have a terrific seed exchange group going for all types of Heirloom seeds

http://www.seedsavers.org/

I have heirloom Nigella (Love in a Mist) and some for this wonderful little bulb which I don't know the name of the bulb but very small and pretty and so prolific.

Would be happy to send any heirloom seeds I have to you.

I might just take you up on that - *if* I begin a new patch. I'm still reeling from the sting of the destruction of the last one... showthread.php?postid=675206#post675206 .

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-19-2012 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Doka in another thread ( here )
Here is another place for Heirloom seeds. I have been very pleased with their seeds and service. The only thing I have at the moment that is from Heirloom seed is hollyhocks, which I love. :)

http://rareseeds.com/

Thanks Doka. The more wingnuttish side of me thinks these kinds of seeds, along with proof of proper storage could become a form of money in the (near?) future. A year or two ago I even developed a business plan to offer seed grading/certification. It was modeled on the way comic books are graded for quality.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-19-2012 10:47 AM

Squid - I got the paper at WalMart originally and have picked up larger rolls at places like ACE Hardware and other places that carry gardening products.

It is black with little mini holes that allow water through - but seem to prevent MOST weeds from growing. Still get a few weeds, but not many. Just slit the paper when starting seedlings or wait til your garden seedlings just start to grow and slit paper to go around your growing plants. (I just duct tape in places to keep splits from spreading too much.) This paper also seems to hold the moisture in ground by the growing plants a lot longer so has cut down on watering - when there is a little rain... or from your own watering.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-19-2012 04:47 PM

SquidInk wrote: Thanks Doka. The more wingnuttish side of me thinks these kinds of seeds, along with proof of proper storage could become a form of money in the (near?) future. A year or two ago I even developed a business plan to offer seed grading/certification. It was modeled on the way comic books are graded for quality.

Squid, there are several people back east doing this, generally on a stealth scale. Reason being the litigation from farmers using GM seed who feel the non-GM poses a risk of loss should someone's non-GM get into their fields (cross pollination).

About 10 years ago there was a case where a farmer claimed he lost the value of his field corn because a neighbor planted non-GM sweet corn. Although there was no physical proof, (lab tests on his corn), the organic farmer lost a substantial amount of money in defense. And in a surprising twist, the court disallowed a recover suit from him against the accuser.

If you do this, keep a low profile.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 03-20-2013 11:48 PM

Ron Finley plants vegetable gardens in South Central LA -- in abandoned lots, traffic medians, along the curbs. Why? For fun, for defiance, for beauty and to offer some alternative to fast food in a community where "the drive-thrus are killing more people than the drive-bys."

Return to “Garden & Galley”