Homegrown Terrorism

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 04-07-2008 05:57 PM

Fish tank water also provides nutrients for your plants.

Good advice cherry!
The Cherry bushes and apricot trees have already bloomed. Today the plum tree is in full bloom. Blackberries showing their first leaves, as are the apple trees.
This is a wonderful time of year!

Mr. Ink
Keep us informed on your indoor experiment. When I lived in the state of Maine indoor gardening was almost a necessity. The advice I gave you will work.
Last edited by badspell on 04-07-2008 06:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-08-2008 10:49 AM

just a short note: daffodils blooming all over (well couple on north side of house are just now putting on buds -- but should bloom soon. Hyacinths are also blooming.

Just planted row of Eutin Floribunda with appropriate mix for soil... will see how they do this year - and hope they will be what we desire!

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-08-2008 02:51 PM

badspell wrote: Mr. Ink
Keep us informed...

I'm afraid I've already said too much Mr.Spell...

On fishwater:
It is such a good fertilizer that the technique of AQUAPONICS relies upon it! I happen to know aquaponics works well. For any of you terrorists out there with a little extra space, and the patients to tinker, it can be an interesting way to grow. For an added challenge, try creating an AQUAPONICS SYSTEM USING BELL SIPHONS instead of solar, wind, or grid juice. I'm all over it... some day.

On flowers:
For those HOMEGROWN TERRORISTS interested in looking good while SCREWING the system, HERE is a partial list of edible (and beautiful) flowers! I gobbled down a daylily just this morning, on my way out the door. Good stuff. Cherry - donate those POISONOUS daffodils to someone you hate, and plant some Hibiscus syriacus!!:D :D
I'm kidding... maybe. I keep a little oleander growing myself - for unwanted guests. :cool::D
Last edited by SquidInk on 04-08-2008 03:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 04-08-2008 03:37 PM

I'm afraid I've already said too much Mr.Spell...
;) :cool: :D
All hear few listen

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-16-2008 09:29 AM

Do any of you trade seeds, online or otherwise? I've looked at it, but have no idea where to begin, or even if it's a viable way to build seed collections.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-16-2008 10:14 AM

squid - ehh now I love the bright color of my daffodils in the spring!

Now as for seeds - there are many who do seed exchanges. The problem in doing so are regulations...

grow on!!

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-16-2008 10:34 AM

They regulate seed trading? Why? Sounds like another law I need to be violating.

On another note, just now I read -THIS-
article regarding the mighty potato. The most interesting sentence was this one...
SPECULATORS AREN'T TEMPTED

One factor helping the potato remain affordable is the fact that unlike wheat, it is not a global commodity, so has not attracted speculative professional investment.

Of course, we all realize the "conspiracy" of speculation is largely responsible for the rise in cost of food and energy, so I'm glad to see that for the moment, the potato is safe.

I'll start by collecting some open pollinated seeds, and experimenting with those potato towers I've read about. I've even read of a "soil-less" potato tower that uses straw as a growing medium, and requires only a 2'x2' space. Now that is something for the urban apartment gardener - I mean Homegrown Terrorist, for sure.

I see BASF, a corporation with roots going all the way back to the field of human experimentation, during the 30's & 40's, is already working to destroy the potato by genetic manipulation.

Yes, I think potato seed collection, & storage just became a priority here, on the Poverty Farm.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-16-2008 01:01 PM

Squid -- good one on the potato -- and yes it grows well in old hay -- well as long as the hay doesn't have mold...

===
Don't forget the hanging basket growing methods - can do all kinds of stuff that way -- so I'm told. :)

confined space! planter pots work well on decks or even with a good window area... course might mean you will have to get some q-tips to help pollinate the flower buds...

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 04-25-2008 12:33 PM

They regulate seed trading? Why? Sounds like another law I need to be violating.

I am with you all the way on that one Squid.

Maybe someone with better computer skills than myself could post information on the type of plants ( non-hybrids ) that have seeds that will produce year after year. And how to take the seeds from the fruit or vegetable and preserve them for the following year. This would be very useful information for many in the near future.
Would this be terrorist activity?:D

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-25-2008 03:31 PM

Originally posted by badspell
Maybe someone with better computer skills than myself could post information on the type of plants ( non-hybrids ) that have seeds that will produce year after year. And how to take the seeds from the fruit or vegetable and preserve them for the following year. This would be very useful information for many in the near future.
Would this be terrorist activity?:D

Of course it would badspell, and for suggesting it, you will find yourself invited to the brand new Pine Bluff Arsenal & Fema Relocation Resort. No need to RSVP, they'll just send a car for you.

Of course, we'll post the seed collecting & storage info anyway. Something tells me CherryKelly & Psychicwolf, might know a thing or two on the topic.

I don't know too much about seed collection (I'm still learning), but I'll pass along what I know when I get a little time...

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 04-25-2008 05:08 PM

Of course it would badspell, and for suggesting it, you will find yourself invited to the brand new Pine Bluff Arsenal & Fema Relocation Resort. No need to RSVP, they'll just send a car for you.

:D :D the car won't need reverse. This is the end of the earth:D
All hear few listen

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-26-2008 12:45 AM

I've been looking at VICTORY SEEDS as a source of genuine "heirloom", non-gm, open pollinated seeds. In other words, normal seeds.

HERE is Victory Seed Company's information on seed saving & basic seed biology.

Here are some of the seeds they offer, as well as other products available.

Here is Victory Seed Company's position on genetically modified organisms.

This SEED SITE has information, and hundreds of seed photographs. Click the "Plant Index", "Seed Harvesting" & "Seed Sowing" buttons.
Last edited by SquidInk on 04-26-2008 12:49 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-26-2008 11:41 AM

Unfortunately far too many plants are hybrids, which means the seeds you collect will revert back to whatever was used to create the hybrid.

For non-hybrids, you can collect the seeds from a mature 'fruit', rinse with clear water, allow to dry (I just put them on paper towels and turn them over to a new paper towel on the 2nd or 3rd day). I store them in marked envelopes, and put the envelopes in dry container. It works!

Little tip - if you want to test the seeds before planting. Take about 6 seeds, soak them in water (I usually soak overnight) and then put them between two sheets of damp paper towels. I do keep the towels slightly damp (not wringing wet) and in a dark area for a few days and then check to see what has germinated. Follow the same germination guidelines as listed on seed packs.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-26-2012 10:33 PM

:coolhat:

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-17-2012 09:48 AM

Look at this pack of pathetic domestic terrorists. They're using an obviously combative terrorist vernacular including words like 'save' , 'downsize' , 'exactly what we need & not a whole lot more' , 'mortgage free' , 'be polite' , 'interact' , 'stop working so hard', 'choices' , 'fully paid-off ' , 'home-school' , etc.

Warm up the drones.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/living-la ... house.html

Last edited by SquidInk on 06-17-2012 09:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Garden & Galley”