Garden Harvest Begins

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-20-2008 09:59 AM

YUP stores they have are pretty nice and all seem to be doing well.

--
I do spinach indoors in winter, though I have cold framed them outdoors along with leaf lettuce.

Both seem to do "OK" in small window type boxes indoors. Not the gretest, but they do grow and you can get a few pickings mid winter.

===
Sunday, my oldest son was here to help dig banana bushes and carry in the heavier planters (flowers) for me. (Hubby and youngest son and only step-son were at a combat robot meet in Chicago and did very well!!) My sun-room is now a jungle! Still need to re-arrange and will do that later - taking my time to get the best arrangement for the various plants. We also dug up more of the pepper plants and they too are now in planters. Will see how they do and keep you informed.

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 10-20-2008 10:25 AM

If you can post a picture or two. I'd like to get some ideas for the sunroom / greenhouse experiment I'm working on.
All hear few listen

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-20-2008 02:58 PM

badspell - will see what I can do after guys get home.

In mean time -- 10x12' room, two windows (width of 2x4" between) on the east; deck doors - glass on south (2) and same two door glass window (old deck area) on west. North side is wide opening to central room area. Ceiling is peak to 12' north to south.

The two planters holding three banana bushes - are on the peak side - south glass deck door area.

--
When you bring plants indoors, expect them to suffer some lost leaves and get kind of 'wilted' looking. Just keep watering as normal, remove dead leaves - they do fine in a couple weeks. I do not add miracle grow or fish emulsion (feed for plants) -- until after they have been inside for 2-3 weeks, then once month during winter season.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-05-2008 10:33 AM

Now the harvest is complete as we have had two light frosts. However, have started a cold frame - for leaf lettuce and spinach.

Two of the lettuce garden areas are still growing - they like the cold!

Mums were still blooming after the first light frost, but the second one stopped the blooming :(

Indoors the plants are still blooming and producing. The peppers have several new small ones growing and some that I left ON the plants are ripening. They will be picked soon to allow the plants to rest a bit.

Return to “Garden & Galley”