Holiday Cooking

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Holiday Cooking

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-09-2008 12:50 PM

With the Holidays (US) coming up - what are some of YOUR favorite recipes and/or cooking traditions?

Will you go traditional for Thanksgiving? Turkey, Dressing, Mashed potatoes, old fashion green bean casserole, corn, yams, and of course pies for dessert? OR do you have other meal items?

Share!

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 12-13-2008 05:54 PM

This is my grandmother’s Pecan roll recipe

Dissolve two packages of yeast in 1 pt. well warmed milk
Add enough flour ( usually not over 1 cup ) to thicken like whipped cream

Separate bowl , cream 1/2 cup of butter, 1 cup of sugar a pinch of salt
Add 4 beaten eggs and flower- 2 ¾ to 3 cups
Put on thickly floured board
work enough flour in to make a soft dough ( will be sticky )

Put back In bowl and let it double in size
Roll on floured board to about 1/4 inch
Spread with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture
Roll into long roll and cut Into 1 inch pieces
Place in pan, with caramel syrup mixture ( to follow ) on bottom

Caramel syrup

1 cup corn syrup + pecans
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup butter
mix well and let stand over hot water until dissolved
bake at 400°, 20 to 25 minutes

Send a minimum of 25% to 873 Country Ln., Pineville, MO 64856
ok the last part Is optional
:D wonderful recipe. I hope you'll enjoy!
All hear few listen

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Re: Holiday Cooking

Post by Live365 » 12-13-2008 06:02 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Will you go traditional for Thanksgiving? Turkey, Dressing, Mashed potatoes, old fashion green bean casserole, corn, yams, and of course pies for dessert?

How did you know?

Looking forward to more innovative recipes for Christmas and beyond........

Hi, Badspell. :)

P.S. I tried putting green peppers in the stuffing this year. My God, did that suck. :( They ruined the entire dish. Need fresh ideas!
Last edited by Live365 on 12-13-2008 06:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 12-26-2008 10:04 PM

All of my family loves olives and my daughter is penguin "nut". So these were a natural this year and a big hit. Easy too. Recommend using a pastry tool for inserting the cream cheese.

Cream Cheese Penguins Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 35 Minutes Yields: 18 servings

You can add scarves and hats by using fresh red pepper strips, or canned pimentos cut into different shapes.

18 jumbo black olives, pitted
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened 18 small black olives
1 carrot

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut a slit from top to bottom, lengthwise, into the side of each jumbo olive. Carefully insert about 1 teaspoon of cream cheese into each olive. Slice the carrot into eighteen 1/4 inch thick rounds; cut a small notch out of each carrot slice to form feet. Save the cut out piece and press into center of small olive to form the beak. If necessary cut a small slit into each olive before inserting the beak.
2. Set a big olive, large hole side down, onto a carrot slice. Then, set a small olive onto the large olive, adjusting so that the beak, cream cheese chest and notch in the carrot slice line up.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-27-2008 12:18 PM

adorable!!

will have to try that one for sure....

SAR01
Pirate

Post by SAR01 » 12-27-2008 07:20 PM

Hi Cherry Kelly and all, been a while since I have had time to visit any other boards.

Hope you all had a wonderful Holiday andwill share one of our favorite easy to throw together for a large gathering....

Sausage Stew (smoked sausage)

peel and quarter potatoes, carrots, an Onion, have a can of drained green beans, and a can of drained water chestnuts, and a can of cream of mushroom soup, (or any cream of...soup)add one can of milk or water, milk makes it richer.
throw this all into a roaster or even a crock pot, I prefer a roaster to make it, then heat it in the crock the next day.)

cook about 1 hr.. then add smoked sausage cut in 2 inch diagonals, and mix it up and cook about 20 more minutes....this is better made up ahead of time, and cooled , then reheated!

about 350 for 1.5 hrs.

I am going to make up a batch tomorrow as we are having more family this coming week.

this is a dish that taste better every time it is re heated.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-28-2008 11:04 AM

SARO 1 -- hi yourself! hmm sounds interesting to have something you can enjoy the more it sits --
I do a Pork & Hominy Soup that you make up day before you eat it.... :)

We will be having guests here for New Years Day -- a tradition of family, friends and neighbors...so will start cooking and doing prep the day before... or the night before...

---
HAPPY NEW YEAR in advance!!

SAR01
Pirate

Post by SAR01 » 01-01-2009 04:39 PM

Happy New Year to you too.

we had friends here last night and I made pulled pork sweet BBQ and it was wonderful .. you top it with coleslaw. I would have never thought of that but it was good. today is pork and saurkraut our family tradion.

so far, my tummy is being kind!

eagle
Pirate

Post by eagle » 01-03-2009 01:49 AM

For Thanksgiving it's always turkey and the usual trimmings. For Christmas the past 3yrs. we have ham,sausage and prime rib with about 5-6 side dishes.

SAR01
Pirate

Post by SAR01 » 01-12-2009 10:36 PM

MMmmmmm! thank sounds good. I thought I was hammed out over the holidays, I hadn;t eaten any pork for about 3-4 yrs. and now I am still craving the ham. (but it is a honey baked) :) and it is good! we freeze most of it into little packs, then have it for omlette suppers and casseroles.

your Christmas dinner sounds great!

Return to “Garden & Galley”