Garden planning, planting time

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 03-25-2011 02:22 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought much about the insect aspect. There is a radio show out here - don't know if you get it, called The Garden Guys, and they have a line of organic gardening products - fertilizer, insecticides, etc that sounds intriguing.

http://mothernaturescuisine.com/

As far as the fishheads......we have a lot of seafood stores around here, maybe I can swing a deal.......

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-26-2011 10:53 AM

We have a local gardening show here on radio with organic pesticides, but problem is you get rain - you have to water - think you get the idea. It is why I like the roll stuff - has fibers that the insects - well don't live long. Doesn't harm the plants. I do wear gloves when cutting it and put a small amount of dirt or if I'm using wire baskets - poke those in it to hold it down.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 03-26-2011 02:24 PM

The "roll stuff"??????

You've got me there CK

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-26-2011 02:28 PM

It looks like gray fiberglass - will get ya the name when I go out to the garden shed.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-11-2011 09:05 AM

Really weird -- bunch of seeds came up in some planters that -- took over a month before they started to pop up. Had replanted in new potting soil in new containers - so now to figure out where to put all the extras when they are big enough to plant outdoors.

Could be quite interesting.

Temps still too cold at night, but normal planting time is not until May.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-13-2011 06:12 PM

Well, I'm going to put my garden on hold for this year..........:(

I've just spent a week in the hospital after having emergency abdominal surgery. Apparently I had acquired some massive "life-threatening" infection which resulted in me spending about two straight days on the toilet. Without going into to many details, after going to the ER and having a CT Scan, a doctor who I work with (and have a lot of confidence in) came to me and said that I needed to go to the OR immediately, where I would most probably have all of my colon removed. Thankfully it didn't come to that, but I'm home just trying to recover. What seeds I planted before the surgery have pretty much all sprouted, but I just don't have the energy (not can I even bend over) to repot them. Also have a nice incision from bwlow my beltline to just below my chest, which complicates things a bit..........

So, sorry for not posting, but, this has been the first time since coming home that I've even felt like going online, and even then, I had a ton of e-mails and then anti-virus updates to run.........

What's nerve wracking is that the docs don't know how I acquired this (or even what it was). And their advice, which I will pass along to all was "Wash your hands!!!"

I may not be able to answer for a while. Still have f/u doctor appointments and don't know what the final outcome will be.

KB

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-13-2011 06:23 PM

Kbot, I am so sorry to hear that you have been ill. I was thinking about you just yesterday and wondering where you were. Saying prayers for your speedy recovery.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-14-2011 02:48 AM

Thank-you SETIS. The experience has definitely given me a much deeper appreciation for the patient's perspective. Can't sleep, belly feels weird. I have an appointment with the surgeon in a few hours, so it will be interesting to hear what he has to say. Thank God for my wife - I have no idea how I'd make it through this without her help.......I was listening to Noory and Whitley but had to just get up and move around some......:rolleyes:

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-15-2011 09:40 AM

kbot - so sorry to hear about your problem. GET WELL!! Sure hope they figure out what caused it and that you heal quickly!! REST!!

---
Our weather is not conducive to planting too much outside - yet.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-15-2011 04:40 PM

Thanks CK. I wish that they could find something, but they can't. They can tell me all the things it wasn't, but at least if I knew, I could avoid it........all that the docs could tell me is that it was probably something I contracted at work. Gotta love working in healthcare :rolleyes:

I met with three docs yesterday - the surgeon, who refered me to a cardiologist and my primary care. They thought that I may have developed a pulmonary embolism and I had a chest CT yesterday, which, thanfully came back negative. All in all my wife and I spent about eight hours between doctor offices and having tests. Still have follow-ups next week.......

All I can do is be thankful for my wife and all the excellent care shes given me. I'm still going to be out of commission for a while though.

Thanks for the well-wishes!!!!!!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-15-2011 05:52 PM

Terrible, Kbot. Just awful for you and frightening. So sorry to hear this news! Hope you soon have a full recovery. These strange new bacterias are becoming an ominous health problem. Maybe time to get out of the health care business - at least as far as hospital and clinic settings.

Too bad about your garden, but God bless for your wife. :)

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-16-2011 02:23 AM

Thanks Linnea. I haven't thought much about moving out of healthcare - I wouldn't know what else to do to be honest. I owe my wife big time for all the help and support she's given me. I guess that on the night I was admitted, despite the meds, all I could say was "This wasn't how I planned on celebrating our anniversary"...........

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-16-2011 09:48 AM

kbot -- sorry about your not being able to garden this year, but health does come first!

===

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-16-2011 09:53 AM

Don't know if you caught C2C about the stolen trucks of tomatoes, frozen food and cucumbers - but wow!

With garden products so high in the stores - this is going to be the year that people will need to garden - even if it is only in some large planters on their decks.

Maybe we can encourage local schools to have students do gardens this summer and perhaps more town or roof ones in the cities.

Greenhouses? For some year round gardening are another thing that might be possible in some areas. It is definitely one way to help cut expenses for your table eating.

IF nothing else pass the word along to your neighbors and friends about the importance of this. When we now have thieves stealing food that was meant for stores - prices are going to skyrocket.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-16-2011 10:09 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Don't know if you caught C2C about the stolen trucks of tomatoes, frozen food and cucumbers - but wow!
I did catch that. Kinda scary. Reminds me of stories I've heard from Russia and Eastern Europe.

Return to “Garden & Galley”