Garden planning, planting time

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 04-16-2011 06:08 PM

Sorry to hear your ill.

Maybe this would explain your problem: Contamination
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-17-2011 05:44 AM

Thanks Megman. Been wracking our brains trying to figure this out with no firm answers from the docs. Wouldn't be surprised if it were food-related. Even though we do cook and handle food properly, we did get some take out the past few months, as well as go to restaurants. So, who knows.......Appears that there is a more worrisome, larger issue, as your article points out.

pyrite
Pirate

Indoor Garden Planters

Post by pyrite » 05-04-2011 02:38 PM

http://www.dreamhillresearch.com/dome/windowplanter.htm

i just thought i would share this since it seems that we all could use some new ways to feed our families...

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-05-2011 01:33 PM

pyrite - do like the pictures that show beginning to end growth for boxes used in windows. The how to steps to make sure the boxes will have water holes so you do not over-water is excellent! One of the nice things is that you can do this all year long - as long as you have a sunny window available.

The only thing I would disagree with is planting all of them at the same time (unless you have a large family to feed). I stagger the growth by at least a week so that you have the last box growing and the first box has been harvested.

You can also do other plants as well - carrots (but they need a sandier soil) is another one. Of course radishes, spinach for leaves, and of course numerous herbs.

In larger planters you can actually grow peppers and some types of tomatoes in the same setting.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-05-2011 06:24 PM

megman wrote: Sorry to hear your ill.

Maybe this would explain your problem: Contamination

I just read an article online today about a nationwide recall of grape tomatoes because salmonella and e-coli contamination has been found in the past few months. Ironiucally, we had been buying these during the previous two months before my mysterious infection. Don't know if the was the real cause or not, but t made me think nonetheless.......Just going to have to wait for the farmstands to open later.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-09-2011 02:43 PM

Weather finally warmed up - dried up ground again so that peppers and some of the tomatoes could be planted - YAA!!

So out they go - with help of course! Inasmuch as there is a lot more ground tilled up for this planting - and extra plants to put out - takes a bit more than one person!

joan roberts
Pirate

Post by joan roberts » 06-15-2011 08:29 PM

Wow nobody posting about plants or food.

My garden is doing great,,,,had lettuce all winter and had

slow cooked and froze loads of tomatoes, had them too

super good tasting. New ones coming up....tomatoes,

peppers, zucchini, peas, string beans, swisschard,

parsley, onions, garlic (love it) Last year a big fat squirrel

sat in the pea area and defied me and ate the peas and

pods.....well he was pretty big and Im 93 lbs.:crazyjump :crazyjump

feetsie
Pirate

Post by feetsie » 06-15-2011 09:20 PM

Trying a garden again after a few years of only strwaberries and asparagas-but the best tasting strawberries and asparagas evah! I usually expend a vast amount of energy prepping and planning only to go on a much needed vacation to find the garden dead. I went to the supermarket today especially to buy veggies, but nothing looked appetising. Storebought veggies taste like cardboard compared to homegrown. I have tomatoes and peppers and cukes and broccoli and of course, the ubiquitous zucchini. Can't wait to taste them!-or at least the ones from the farmer's market if my automatic waterer fails.
Last edited by feetsie on 06-15-2011 09:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.
God is

Fan
Lady with a

Re: Indoor Garden Planters

Post by Fan » 06-17-2011 11:49 AM

pyrite wrote: http://www.dreamhillresearch.com/dome/windowplanter.htm

i just thought i would share this since it seems that we all could use some new ways to feed our families...

Happy birthday Py!

joan roberts
Pirate

Post by joan roberts » 07-10-2011 08:59 PM

Hope Im not duplicating this.....Had some beautiful crook

neck squash right out of the yard, halved, buttered and

baked, delicious, wish I could share it with you

Hope you all survived the 4th and holidays, triple digit

weather here spoiled out block party bbq, only the kids
\
wanted to come out and play, all 18 of them under 7.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-15-2011 10:41 AM

Been a tad busy!

Weather -heat - rain and then super heat! Garden doing great and then the bugs started showing up - Sevin-5 to the rescue!

Sweetcorn about ready to pick (cut/can/freeze)
Tomato jungle (66 plants--67 plants) tied up and loaded.
Peppers - been picking and eating bell peppers - not eating, but picking some of the hotter ones. (They are early this year which is a bit strange - but ehh!)
Greenbeans - picked, frozen several pints for winter! Getting down to their last blooms and production (they do not like the heat)
Spinach and leaf lettuce done til fall planting. Onions doing great!
Squash - zukes & summer picking going great! Winter one blooming and putting on little squashes - they will grow!
Cucumbers doing okay and potatoes still blooming (well last blooms)
Strawberries - sending out runners now were good eating!

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 07-15-2011 11:03 AM

Hi CK! Your thumbs are green, no doubt...

But is your corn as high as an elephant's eye??

:D
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

joan roberts
Pirate

Post by joan roberts » 07-15-2011 01:55 PM

No elephants here yet......zucchini squash growing like

crazy, peppers not ripe yet, weird, loads of tomatoes

most still green.....Miss that delicious lettuce.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-16-2011 10:29 AM

Squid - hmm since I'm just an average 5'5+1/2" and the top of the corn stalk is a tad taller - I guess....

Shucks some of my tomato plants (in those not quite 'v' shape) baskets are eye level and a bit taller. Loaded ya - so soon as the dill is ready will be picking some of the smaller green tomatoes to make the pickled green tomatoes that we all enjoyed. (It also allows other tomatoes to get bigger faster.) So will pick one or two from the 'groups' where 3-4 are growing side by side.

= = =
joan - oh the zuke - ya - It had not been doing much of anything except growing leaves and now - going to have to check it daily as getting zukes faster than one can eat them!

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 07-16-2011 10:53 PM

Took this in the yard tonight...
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Return to “Garden & Galley”