Garden planning, planting time

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-03-2011 12:10 PM

voguy - ohhh :(

--
Fall is in the air - and with changes of weather - its planning the fall stuff (early -non-killing frost) and any fall gardening.

Doing a bunch of green pickle canning from just mild - with dill and cloves of garlic > hotter types with peppers added (holes punched top and bottom on the peppers). Also doing green tomato salsa!

Peppers some are being canned, some will be flash frozen whole while any with spots or bad areas will be cut into strips and flash frozen; then put into vacuum seal freezer bags. Some might use in pickling pepper strips.

Ocra is ehh about done, winter squash growing and will watch for any bugs or when it starts to turn orange for storage for winter eating (well might go ahead and eat one sooner!) Onions to be dug up for use or drying more.

Tis the end of the season coming so will cover plants for light frost as there usually is at least a couple more growing weeks. (One year after first two light frosts weather did remain good until December - unusual but never know.)

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-03-2011 03:07 PM

Has anyone heard of this:

The onset of Dandelions indicates a change of weather?

Supposed to be an old farming measure of weather change and planting of either warm or cold season crops.
A man's character is his fate

joan roberts
Pirate

Post by joan roberts » 10-03-2011 07:56 PM

Still getting little tomatoes and some peppers, supposed

to have rain starting tonite, very dark and cold here today

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 10-03-2011 08:42 PM

Picked the last of the peppers. Thinking chili in the future. Real hot an mean chili.

The kind of chili that when you throw some crackers in the bowl, the chili throws it back at you, insults your mama, and asks if Keebler used your face as a mold for gorilla cookies.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-04-2011 01:48 PM

diogenes -- have heard it - but strangely I do have new dandelions growing and our temps are in 80s which is a tad high for this time of year.

---
joan - good those little tomatoes and peppers can be used for salsa or some great little canned peppers and tomatoes - super little snacks in the winter.

---
voguy - sounds like a hot chili - but what kind of peppers are you talking about? :) how I might believe habaneros or garden salsa or even some of those super hot jalapenos that I had earlier in the season, but they are milder now.

===
Right now am concentrating on working on the flowers - removing those little trees that sprouted in some baskets and the grasses - seeds fly through the air with the greatest of ease and get in my hanging baskets too! :) Sure hoping a lot of the blooming types will continue to flower over the winter as they add so much color!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-26-2011 11:56 AM

All garden has been picked, now to remove all dead plants, put up the baskets and toss some compost on areas where needed. End of the season and still canning produce!

Making notes on some changes for next season's planting.

Now what do I do with these 6lb+ winter squash? Was definitely not expecting such large sized butternut type squash. So - pies, breads, soups and whatever else (besides typical just baking and eating...

Return to “Garden & Galley”