Indoor Gardening

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

badspell
Pirate

Indoor Gardening

Post by badspell » 11-06-2011 11:08 PM

Bringing in the plants and turning on the lights.

If you live in an area that has seasons and can’t let go of gardening I recommend an LED light. You can buy a LED light that cost less than a standard light bulb to run and gives your plants what they need for all stages of growth. This is the one I trust. I got mine on Amazon

GlowPanel 45 - More than 4x as powerful than the original GlowPanel, the GlowPanel 45 LED grow light consumes a mere 28 watts of power yet rivals the output of a 250 watt HPS. The GlowPanel 45 is a full cycle grow light and showers your plants in light suitable for all stages of growth. Covering 5 square feet, the GlowPanel 45 can be used as a stand alone plant light or it can be used with other plant lighting systems. Use a GlowPanel 45 to grow fruits, vegetables, greens, flowers, herbal medicines and more.

Until Spring
Happy Indoor Gardening!
All hear few listen

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-01-2011 02:40 PM

Garden plants and flowers are enjoying the sun-room where large glass patio deck windows exist on south and west, and two close (close distance) east windows bring lot of sunlight to the growing plants. Some herbs may not last all winter, but for now are growing well.

REMINDER: If you bring in veggie plants and they start to bloom, you will need to "shake" the planter containers to spread the pollen and have growing produce. The other method is Q-tip --touching the flowers and going to each flower. It does work, but so does lightly shaking the planter box.

The indoor plants also need a boost Miracle Grow) or similar plant food. You can use the miniature Grow stakes in the larger planters, or simply mix up the liquid and use it once or twice during the winter.

Happy Indoor Gardening to you all!

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 12-01-2011 04:50 PM

As always great advice Cherry Kelly but Miracle Grow
Will kill the soil. I recommend a fish tank for nutrients. No need to buy chemical fertilizer. I recommend Aquaponics for indoor growing! People in the city can do this too. Less space, faster growth and eco friendly.

I Love to Garden

:)
All hear few listen

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 12-01-2011 11:25 PM

Hi Badspell, I did not know that Miracle Grow would kill the soil? My gosh, I use it on everything but dinner! Do you have a reading source about it somewhere?

Thanks, Doka:)

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-01-2011 11:37 PM

For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-15-2011 01:47 PM

I have never had problems with Miracle Grow and I've been using it several decades.

However, I also use pond water and fish emulsion at times as well.

If you check the PH value of your soil, you'll know what it lacks and can adjust your watering (as well as adding nutrients).

My indoor larger planters have the miracle grow spikes. They are doing quite well! Flowering and yes the peppers are producing.

My banana bushes have done their usual - about half the leaves die off quite readily when first brought in, but within month or even less are putting out new leaves and growing. Other plants will go into that "shock" no matter what I do to help them adjust. Two things important is to keep their humidity up and adding a small fan to circulate the air (like on a semi-windy day). It helps a lot.

Return to “Garden & Galley”