Tailgate Hot Dogs

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Tailgate Hot Dogs

Post by voguy » 11-23-2011 09:26 AM

There has not been a post in this area for a while so I thought I would put something up.

This morning our news anchors wanted a treat on the air for Tailgate Cuisine. Criteria was something that can be made ahead of time, and then reheated at the stadium. I came in and prepared a variation of the Tony Packos (Hungarian) hot dog recipe. This is one I've done for several venues. You can freeze the sauce and reheat before the game. It works well with anything from conventional hot dogs to brats, Polish sausage, or even deer sausage. Here is what was posted on the station web site....

The sauce recipe below is good for 32 hotdogs. Sauce can be frozen and reheated as needed later.

3# of 93% Ground Chuck
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
3 tbl of chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 paprika
1/6 tsp red cayenne pepper (fresh finely diced w/out seeds better) * SEE BELOW
2 large olives with pimento, finely diced very small (I use green, but other people have used black) **
25-30 oz can tomato sauce
Package of buns
Catsup, mustard, diced onion on the side.

Heat pan, with butter at medium high. Dice up onion very small, and saute in butter till just starting to turn brown.

Empty tomato sauce contents into sauce pan. Add in chili powder, cumin, red cayenne pepper, paprika, and olive. Heat on low.

Brown up hamburger in same pan as onions. When completely cooked, drain of ALL grease and transfer to sauce pan.

Using a mixer on the slowest setting, mix the hamburger in with the sauce so you have NO large chunks.

Cut in half some sausage, For a package from the supermarket cut in half, then slice it down the center so you have "halves" of sausage about the size of a hot dog.

Grill on a George Foreman grill, outside grill, or you can pan fry in the pan used for the hamburger. Make sure they don't curl as they cook.

To serve, put sausage in the bun, top with a tablespoon of hot dog sauce, add your choice of mustard, catchup, or more diced onion. Optionally, sprinkle with Colby Jack cheese.

DONE - GO HAVE FUN!!

* = For 1st Edition, I cut back on the cayenne pepper. For my crew, I usually use 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
** = I use green olives for the taste and salt. You can omit if you don't like them and add 1/4 tsp of sea salt.

Prep time about 1 hour. Dogs can be foil wrapped and microwave reheated at tailgate.

GO BLUE - BEAT O.S.U.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-23-2011 10:00 AM

So the ground beef is just for the sauce? I was trying to figure out where the hotdogs come in to play :)

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-23-2011 11:18 AM

I think so..we call those chili dogs here at the house. I do like the idea of using decent sausages (or brats) instead of regular franks.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-23-2011 03:19 PM

The recipe is similar to Tony Packos Hot Dogs with their sauce. You can use anything like a cheap hot dog, all the way up to a thick brat sliced down the center. It's sort of coney dog, but usually they don't use sausage.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-23-2011 03:36 PM

In this strange place we like to put that sauce on top of fries (with cheese curds and gravy of course). Poutine a l'italienne.

Return to “Garden & Galley”