Peanut butter banana chocolate chip muffins

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

megman
Parrothead

Peanut butter banana chocolate chip muffins

Post by megman » 04-29-2013 08:24 PM

I thought I'd photo share one of my favorite muffin recipes here.
For the record I use Texas muffin pans, so everything is doubled and the pics reflect this.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2-3 large ripe bananas, mashed enough for 1 1/4 cups banana
1 cup milk
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl mash your bananas and set them aside.

In a smaller bowl combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.

To our mashed bananas add milk, peanut butter, egg, oil and vanilla. My electric hand mixer makes quick work of mixing it together.

Now we add our flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir by hand just so it's about half mixed.

Now we add our chocolate chips and mix again, just to incorporate them. It's important not to overmix or you will have tough muffins.

Spray or line your muffins pans and fill them to about 3/4 full.

Bake them at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the tops brown slightly.

These are good warm, but also freeze very well!
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-29-2013 09:39 PM

Aw yeah....

LisaA
Pirate

Banana juice

Post by LisaA » 04-29-2013 11:16 PM

Get several severely overripe bananas, peel, cut into chunks and put into a saucepan. Cook on low heat. Juice will seep out--just stir a little bit. When there's some banana juice, strain the juice out of the solids and either discard the solids or use some in the recipe. The juice is... more intensely-flavored banana juice! Seriously. Got the recipe from Cook's magazine.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-30-2013 01:00 AM

Directly after seeing these muffins I had to go bake some.
I cheated though. Used a packaged mix and added pineapple, coconut and raisins. Prolly not as good as yours Megman but they tasted OK. :)
Last edited by Raggedyann on 04-30-2013 02:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

megman
Parrothead

Re: Banana juice

Post by megman » 04-30-2013 03:44 PM

LisaA wrote: Get several severely overripe bananas, peel, cut into chunks and put into a saucepan. Cook on low heat. Juice will seep out--just stir a little bit. When there's some banana juice, strain the juice out of the solids and either discard the solids or use some in the recipe. The juice is... more intensely-flavored banana juice! Seriously. Got the recipe from Cook's magazine.

Good idea. Sometimes I let the bananas get so ripe that I just have to lop a skin end off and squeeze the banana out like a tube of toothpaste. The riper they get the more sugar and starch they contain.
Raggedyann wrote: Directly after seeing these muffins I had to go bake some.
I cheated though. Used a packaged mix and added pineapple, coconut and raisins. Prolly not as good as yours Megman but they tasted OK. :)

Glad you were inspired.:D

Nothing wrong with packaged mix. Sounds like you spruced it up pretty good.

I have a container of pre-mixed dry muffin ingredients I mixed up for a standard base muffin, but most of the ones I do aren't standard.

The 2 that I make that get raved about are my Peanut butter banana chocolate chip and Carrot cake muffins.:coolhat:
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 04-30-2013 04:30 PM

Hey Megman

I just got back from the store, where I just happened to pick up the ingredients for your muffins. Nice to know they freeze also.

:)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 04-30-2013 05:10 PM

Cool:D

I have quite the array of muffins I make and they all go through the freezer test.

As stated, I use Texas muffin pans, so these are huge and every recipe I use I have to adapt and double up on, so it's important to be able to freeze them.

I always keep a stash at work. I take one out, let it sit for 20 minutes, and it's as fresh as just made.:coolhat:
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-01-2013 10:41 AM

looks good! I personally don't like muffins much, but as an occasional treat they are good :) Too sweet for me, I can't eat sweet in the morning (ITM).
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Return to “Garden & Galley”