Garden Planting and Harvesting

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Garden Planting and Harvesting

Post by Cherry Kelly » 01-28-2015 03:23 PM

Seeds arrived and now to plan the germination schedules for the ones we start indoors (or in a greenhouse).

I have always soaked seeds overnight before putting into plant starter containers; however, it is now suggested using two moist paper towels to where the roots begin to sprout and then plant in your small seed growing containers.

I use planter boxes with a solid holder beneath the planters. This way when watering, the water won't leak out where not wanted. For those without clear plastic covers I use saran wrap paper until I see sprouting coming up. It is also suggested that some seeds sprout better when the planter devices are on small heating pads. These are the kind made specifically for seed starting.

First: figure out when your area will have warm enough weather to plant outdoors.
Second: look at your seed germination and recommended weeks for the growing plants.

These two will give you a good idea how soon you need to put your seeds into starting planters. It can range from a few weeks for germination to suggested 6-8 weeks growing (or longer).

When your seedlings are big enough, it is also recommended to 'harden' your plants to growing outside. This is done by taking them outside in the daytime - usually one or two days and bringing indoors at night - then leaving them outside a full day and night before planting.

...more later

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-02-2015 02:24 PM

OKAY -- ya we do get roasted chicken at local Sam's - once a month...after all shopping makes one tired! (Besides that their chicken is good eating...)

SO - save the little containers they come in- solid black on bottom and clear plastic lids! They too can be used for starting seeds.

In these, do mini rows and later transfer to larger growing containers.

So seed germination starting begins next week, week after.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-20-2015 12:09 PM

Found a post on fox news internet site about hot chili peppers and smiled. Now the pictures I questioned a bit.

The Carolina Reaper -- looks correct and matches up to the ones I grow. The Moruga doesn't as the ones I grow and have seen posted elsewhere do not have the long tails shown. The third one I have of the group is the Butch T and yup - very close to ones seen elsewhere. However, often the Butch T has very little tail showing at all.

As for the others shown, have not seen or heard about very much. But going down the scale from those - ahh the Ghost Pepper and the Habanero (both scotch bonnet and caribbean red) are also very hot. There are also several types of long thin red chili peppers that yes, are hot.

I grow all of the above, and on down the scale to the regular bell peppers (both large and mini ones).

Then of course we get to tomatoes and other garden veggies, but I did enjoy seeing the hot peppers shown.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-23-2015 07:07 PM

seedlings germinating to grow for 6-8 weeks before hardening to be planted in gardens...

Depending on weather could be planted later... now its a matter of watching for the weather situations.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 03-24-2015 03:39 PM

Just got my seeds in their little pots. Just got the lawn mowed for the 3rd time, it sure is growing, along with tree seeds from stressed trees last fall. With the weather being so "Different" it is a challenge to garden this year.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-14-2015 09:27 AM

Oh yes, two mowing times here, and have had beautiful flowers - spring, now done blooming and starting to get some of the other flowers showing and growing.

Seedlings growing and will be ready to plant by the end of the month.

Could be an odd year for sure.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-07-2015 12:55 PM

Got all the tomato seedlings planted, the bells and jalapeno peppers. Been an "on/off" plant when not raining or too wet outside (ground not dried).

Except for a few outdoor annuals, have flowers planted -- now to catch up with the

......................... --- WEEDS !!!

With all the on/off drippy rain, trying to catch up with weeds (lot of grass seeds blown into flower beds from mowing). oh ya...

THEN to get the rest of the pepper seedlings planted...

Mother nature! Could be quite the summer ahead!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-08-2015 09:43 AM

I have flats I have been cultivating under lights getting ready to be hardened off. Going to try pumpkins for the first time this year, among many other things.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-08-2015 07:39 PM

very good! I harden mine by taking them outside during the day for two days, then third out all day/night. They are then ready to be planted :)

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 05-10-2015 08:33 AM

Been rain for 9-days and over night got 8-inches of snow so all garden work is on hold.

I did get out Saturday in the rain and got covers over what has come up so I think they will make it. We are 28 now up from 23 over night and it is to get about that low again tonight.

I'll let the snow on just for the added insulation and Monday we are to be in the 50's and warm going forward.

Big concern for the low areas is flooding now from all the rain and now snow melt.

Guess it pays to live on a hill. :)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-10-2015 09:38 AM

Wow! LeslieV, could you send some of that to eastern Oregon? As I was planting some stuff in the garden , I could not find any moisture, went down about a foot out of curiosty. But like CK says, WEEDS. They are doing great. Seems to be a season of "Extremes"..
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-10-2015 09:42 AM

the garden here is totally overtaken with weeds already. Want to go weed but we are about to have a thunderstorm. Sigh.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-11-2015 10:13 AM

We have had several days/nights of rain -- 1 inch to 2 inches for hmm several days in a row. Fast moving rain storms and then drying with either wind or sunshine. It has made it very difficult to go out to the garden to do much.

beans, peas and corn are up and growing, tomatoes doing okay along with first planted row of peppers (bell and jalapeno). Tomato and first pepper rows protected with weed/water paper.

Now the flower rows -- weeds -- grass -- long hours of removing -- and exhaustion as only a few hours when its been dry enough to be out or without being blown away (wind).

IT has been odd yes. SNOW for some areas but hopefully your gardens will be okay...and hopefully no flooded ones either.

Poor flowers blooming and then rained on blown over :(

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-24-2015 11:23 AM

garden planted for the most part -- still need to add weed/water paper in some rows and the little fence for the peas to grow on...

BUT oh rain - some sun - more rain -- and rain keeps the garden wet...

Most of the weeds removed from one flower bed (35ft long one) - just a few in the little area of irises -- grasses to pull.

half the 100ft long row done both sides, other half on one side - till ya - rain.

bulbs arrived and are planted except last 10 (ya rain)
asparagus planted just in time - rain about an hour later (glad I packed soil around them).

think ya get the idea - plant - rain - wait plant - rain... and not a lot of rain - 1/4" so call it a drizzle that goes on for an hour or two...

FUN MAY!! uhuh

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 05-24-2015 12:30 PM

Too wet here to do anything int he garden. The seedlings have all had transplants to bigger pots waiting for the garden to dry enough to plant.

The veggies under the hoops are doing OK but by this time it is usually set out the tomatoes and other plants then put over hoops. Problem is the rain seems to never stop.

Now I just hope we do get rain all summer long or this amount will not last. I've seen it before, very wet spring then dry as a bone all summer long.

Big worry now is the skeeters, got to get mowing done and trimming so things dry enough that the skeeters don't have a place to hatch.

I haven't seen bats in the new bat house so no go there for those skeeter eaters.

Return to “Garden & Galley”