Garden Planting and Harvesting

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 09-04-2015 08:53 AM

Doing the same here with hopes we don't get an early deep freeze.

Hoops are up and ready for the plastic over them and getting greenhouse cleaned for growing over the hard winter the weather says we will be getting.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-05-2015 07:10 PM

Wish I did have an outdoor greenhouse (with heat in it of course) -- but my sun-room will be filled with plants.

Did get some new planters (and less than half price each - closeouts) with some good bottom watering ability so won't get a lot of water on the floors.

Right now the pepper plants are loaded and tomatoes doing good (lot better than earlier this year).

---
Leslie - sounds like you are dong good!! I like the astronaut plastic to cover plants on 'frost' nights. Works well on mild ones, but hopefully will have things dug and inside before any major frosts.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Re: Garden Planting and Harvesting

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-31-2016 11:13 AM

2016 Gardens are starting .... plants brought in (mainly pepper plants are doing fine) and the banana tree that was brought in has two babies and the tree is way too high to come back in next yr.
Planning to accommodate new additions for permanent gardens: Strawberries - and special coverings is the newest addition for this year's veggie garden work. New Planter size of blueberries. Plant putting on leaves and as soon as the weather permits can go out to the deck area.
Onion bulbs and carrots planted in a newer upgraded salt added soil area and the little green tops are showing on the onions and carrot row is mounding where seeds are germinating.
Seedlings for peppers and tomatoes are up with some having second sets of leaves. (was a bit slow)

New flower plants are planted - perennial types, and have been protected against frosty temps. Flower seeds in planters as Preen was used to help cut out weed seeds from growing in several flower bed areas. Removed and brought in the garden gnomes (leprechauns) and are cleaned and getting painted - slow work but almost done.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-15-2016 11:43 AM

Warm weather and time to remove weeds - some never seen before in this area?? Wondering if they were brought in by high winds from other parts of the USA (or world)....

Some plants moved to the decks to acclimate to the weather, others out on hangers in the trees.

Seedlings turned around and to be watered again.

:)

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 04-19-2016 02:08 PM

Got a good 21 inches of heavy wet snow here so it will be a while until it all melts off and I can get back into the garden and work beds. I got some done after the last snow so I guess if I can get another couple ready before the next one I'll be ready for planting. We usually use mothers day as the marker but have got frost after that and some cold weather.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-24-2016 12:50 PM

Leslie - when its snow outside here, I plant seeds and the seedlings come up - produce 2nd and third sets of leaves (or more) so when garden time arrives - they are ready to plant. :) WELL most of the time.

----
was out today pulling weeds along outside edge of some garden areas. More to do, but getting too windy outside to work! ...

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-18-2016 11:44 AM

Mid July - picking huge cucumbers!! Last of almost last of the sweet corn and will give the stalks to the horse.

When I say LARGE (burpless) cucumbers - talking some over a foot long and picking more every couple of days. Sweet corn okay but not as good as some years. Also have late Green Beans blooming and soon to be picked.

Busy year!

Return to “Garden & Galley”