Let's get to crunching!

Moderator: Super Moderators

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 02-05-2003 02:21 AM

No Piracy going on here, I just want to help.

Linnea~ you can delete the screensaver version by going into START->Programs->SETI@home and click remove

OR

Go to the control panel->Add/Remove Programs-> then highlight SETI@home and click Change/Remove

Once that's done...you can get the command line version which is HERE...this is the actual command-line client so click SAVE and save it to a folder that you want it to be saved in. Once it's done downloading take note of where it is and don't open it yet!

Next, go to my website... http://www.seti-teamartbell.com/Downloads/index.html and go to the Downloads page...then click the blue icon next to SETI Driver and save it to the same place where you have the command-line client. Unzip it to the same folder as the client. I only tell you SETI Driver because it's the easiest to set up. Image Once it has completed downloading open up SETI Driver and configure it how you want. Initially you should set it up to hold only one workunit and then change that after you've already started crunching that workunit. You can see a screenshot of how it should be set up initially HERE

Create a shortcut to the SETI Driver program on your desktop so you can get it open faster. SETI Driver will automatically open the client for you so all you have to worry about is opening SETI Driver. And...yes, the command-line version of the SETI@home client is indeed faster Image

Let me know if you have any problems.

...and, people, don't join Team Art Bell unless you want to see me walk the plank here at FF! Image

Mark

[This message has been edited by TABwebmaster (edited 04 February 2003).]

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 02-05-2003 08:55 AM

Thanks, Mark, for the help. (You have a very nice website) I, personally, would like to see people join the FF team, but really the important thing is that they crunch, so join any team, people, It is your choice; no hard feelings from me. We do it for the science, right?

Doug, it is your choice to use screensaver or commandline. If you are completing WUs in 13 hours with screensaver, that is fantastic. If you look at the stats page, most people using it have much longer completion times. It is an individual preference.

I will be away for most of the day. I'll check back this afternoon, if I have any brain cells functioning after babysitting my 3 yr old granddaughter. Image

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-06-2003 03:42 AM

Mark-
I downloaded the commanline ver ok. It is running fine... without SETIdriver? I got that as well, but can't seem to get it to function. It won't xmit at all, and sometimes caused the cmdline client to actually "disappear" from my drive - either that or hid it well... any ideas?
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 02-06-2003 11:01 AM

Doug, did you check the box that says "use seti driver", in the Progress Monitoring?

[This message has been edited by Gwen (edited 06 February 2003).]

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-06-2003 12:49 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gwen:
Doug, did you check the box that says "use seti driver", in the Progress Monitoring?</font>
Yes - Here is a screenshot showing how I have it set up. When I hit the transmit button it briefly (like 1/10 of a second) says "Stop Transmit", then stops by itself. Nothing happens - no transmission occurs according to anything obvious (like my internet connection monitor actually going active). Either that, or it chooses to lock-up.

As you can see in the pic though, the seti cmdline program is running fine. I have turned in two WU's using it and it's flawless. I don't see a big difference in speed from the screensaver version yet. But like I said, I've only done two this way. (Interestingly, {to me anyway}, I'm less than 5% into the third WU, and it's returned 124 spikes already. Maybe not unusual - just haven't seen near that many before. Like 6 or 8 tops.) Oh - by the way - I am using SETI Spy.

Well - if you have any ideas about the seti driver, let me know. Seems alright without it, but what do I know? Image

[This message has been edited by DougBupstateNY (edited 06 February 2003).]
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-06-2003 02:05 PM

Addendum: I have noticed that when I run WinaMP3, I get one heck of a decrease in performance of the seti program. Oh well, I like my muzak. What can I say? Image
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-06-2003 06:23 PM

Way el - s@home finally let me back in! So - I'm baaaaaack! RC sez I'll burn up my cpu, but we'll see how it goes. I'll be crunching those WUs as I go down in flames!

Hey, Doug - if you get bitten by the seti bug - you'll soon be into souping up your pc. lol!

We all need banks of computers!

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 02-07-2003 12:47 AM

DougB~

You need to set the "Desired Cache Size" to at least one. But first you need to make sure that you're not opening the client on it's own. SETI Driver will open the client for you. Hope that helps.

Mark

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 02-07-2003 12:49 AM

also, after you set the "Desired Cache Size" to 1 or higher, you need to check the box that says Display Transmit. Then click "Save Config" and click Transmit. It should start downloading and then ask you for your SETI ID (your e-mail) and then whether or not you are a new or returning user.

After you get your first wu all you ever need to do is start SETI Driver and you are good to go.

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-07-2003 05:14 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TABwebmaster:
also, after you set the "Desired Cache Size" to 1 or higher, you need to check the box that says Display Transmit. Then click "Save Config" and click Transmit. It should start downloading and then ask you for your SETI ID (your e-mail) and then whether or not you are a new or returning user.

After you get your first wu all you ever need to do is start SETI Driver and you are good to go.
</font>
Ok - So now that's working. Thanks.

Further questions:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) Do I still need to use Seti Spy to maintain a dbase of completed WU's? (It would appear that way to me.)

2) What happened to the WU that the client was running at the time I got Seti Driver running? It was at 70%+. Is it gone?

3) I also still have the screensaver version on my system. It is currently at 50%. Is there a way to transfer that WU over to the cmdline client to finish processing? {IE., setting the cache to 2, and transferring the .sah files into the newly created cache dir.} Or would it be best to let the screensaver version go ahead and run that one out, return the results, then ditch that ver.?

4) Is Seti Driver necessary, and what does it do other than the obvious role of task monitoring?

5) Taking into account that Seti Spy has (visibly/apparently) more features in regard to maintaining an up to date history and breakdown of your WU's, along with various other "eye-candy", I'd like to continue running it. Is this a "slow-down" factor?

6) I see that there is a "Use Seti Spy" checkbox. It apparently doesn't launch Seti Spy on start-up. What does this option do?

7) What does the "Create SETILog.csv" option do? {Other than the obvious, ie., what is the file used for?}

8) Am I being a pest? Image Image Image Image

Thanks again Mark.
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-07-2003 05:29 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lrs:
God...I would LOVE to be a part of this!!!!! But my background is in microbiology (tho I'm FAIRLY good at math). I'd much rather just watch the TEAM in action. God bless you guys.
G'night.

</font>
lrs, Thanks for stirring things up around here! Image

I really think you should throw your processor into the fire as well. Image Heck - it's a good distraction, is fun and interesting, and makes for a neat topic at parties. LOL! Image
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-07-2003 07:59 AM

Mark - ignore most of the above. Spent an "abby-normal" amount of time researching these things. Image

What I "think" I discovered:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) Yes - it behooves one to run SETI Spy. I integrated it properly. <---- sounding a bit over-sure of myself Image

2) Yes - the WU that was busily being processed at the time of the changeover to SETI Driver is *kaput*. Oh well.

3) I migrated the unfinished WU from the screensaver version over to a new and empty SETI Driver cache. The program sees it's there since it didn't try to fill that cache itself, and now says that it is waiting to be processed. We'll see if it takes over from where the ss version left off. No big deal if it doesn't anyhow.

4) No - it's not necessary - but an extremely good idea to use for several reasons.

5) See answer #1 Image

6) Also related to #1. I now have SETI Spy configured with SETI Driver as it's client, which in turn has cmdline as it's client. Everything seems to be working smoothly.

7) I still am unsure of this because I can't get to the site for SETIWatch/SETI Log... seems to be down. I'll keep trying.

8) Absolutely!! Image

If there is anything that I have completely wrong, or that I have misinterpreted in any way, please enlighten me. Image

Gee - I hope you see this post before you try and answer all of the original questions! Image

Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by DougBupstateNY (edited 07 February 2003).]
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 02-07-2003 09:57 AM

Mark, thanks again. I am seriously computer-challenged, so I really appreciate your technical help.

Doug, I use SetiSpy too. It has so much data available.

lrs, you don't have to really do anything, other than set the program up...if I can do it, anyone can. If you have a background in microbiology, I'm sure you can handle this. We'd love to have you. If not, just keep on being our cheering section! I just hate to have my computer on and not doing anything Image

I will probably shut Seti off for the weekend..my cousin is visiting and we are going to edit some movies and family photos (he has a digital camcorder)

Linnea, good luck on your test tomorrow. Will be sending you positive vibes Image

(edited to change 'movie camera' to 'camcorder'-calling it a movie camera really dates me, huh? :eek")

[This message has been edited by Gwen (edited 07 February 2003).]

lrs
Pirate

Post by lrs » 02-07-2003 09:58 PM

You guys,

I read on CNN just yesterday about...about...I forgot the term already!!! But it has to with letting laymen crunch for others during the down-time on their computers (this was in the context of a sequence for a new small pox vaccine). I get it now!!!!

Geez. And here I thought you were gonna make us do calculus or something. Where do I sign up?

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 02-08-2003 08:28 AM

lrs, here's the place to download the program and sign up. It will be great to have you. If you need any help, shout out.

http://www.fantasticforum.com/seti_team/seti.html

There's also a link at the top of this page. Anyone else want to join in? At least go to the link and look around before you decide. Image

[This message has been edited by Gwen (edited 08 February 2003).]

Return to “FANTASTIC FORUM ~ SETi Team”