Let's get to crunching!

Moderator: Super Moderators

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 02-16-2003 01:15 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Linnea:
Ahhhhhh - was able to crunch a few WUs, then seti @home locked me out again! Haven't been able to get back in. Mark TABwebmater says he is now configuring some of his computers to crunch on a new set project. Care to fill us in Mark?

</font>
Linnea~

I've been beta testing BOINC with one of the new projects: Astropulse. It's still in the non-public beta testing phase and it's really buggy. It's getting really close according to the SETI@home admin. Be patient though because SETI@home will more than likely continue at least through the early summer.

Mark

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-16-2003 03:20 PM

Thanks Mark - Well everything changes and nothing is forever. What will happen to the stats of the seti crunchers? Every cruncher will start anew with the astro pulse project? Will there be 'units' to process and rack up, or just a general 'time spent processing' count going on? We will all be counting 'bugs', I'm sure. Image

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 02-16-2003 05:27 PM

You can read here about the future of Seti@home. Sounds as if BOINC could be a myriad of distributed computing projects. Am I reading that correctly, Mark?

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 02-17-2003 07:47 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gwen:
You can read here about the future of Seti@home. Sounds as if BOINC could be a myriad of distributed computing projects. Am I reading that correctly, Mark? </font>

Right you are Gwen. There will be a lot of different distributed computing projects but they will start with Astropulse and then shortly after that will come SETI@home II which will survey the southern sky from the Parkes Observatory in Australia. There is a link to it on my links page.

Linnea~ I'm not quite sure yet how the user will get credit. They have been talking about using a "cobblestone" which will be based on your total time computing rather than one credit for one wu. This doesn't sound palatable but I think it will be "a good thing" as Martha Stewart would be heard saying. Image

Also, the timeline that they have posted up at the SETI@home site isn't necessarily set in stone. It's just a general guideline. I hope they let it last at least until they have achieved 1 billion wu's crunched. That would be something! They are currently at about 730 million and are getting back over 1 million per day so that wouldn't be too difficult to make happen.

Also, BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) is an open-source program that will be able to handle any distributed computing projects. You could start one yourself and start your own thing if you could tweak the program to meet your needs or find someone to do it. According to the admin at Berkeley it wouldn't be too hard to do. That's the mind of a programmer telling you that though. I'm not sure I would attempt it.

In the meantime, I'm only using a few of my computers to beta-test BOINC with Astropulse and it's almost bug-free! It won't be long now! Image

Check out this link to see who's already onboard and what the credits look like:
Click Here

Go down to the bottom of the page and click on Top Users or Top Teams to see what the credits will look like.

Mark

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 02-18-2003 05:17 PM

Hey, how many seti crunchers does it take to change a light bulb?

I dunno, we probably would all do a small part of it... but I noticed the light had gone out on this topic, and I was informed in a very authoritative but totally imaginary voice that it shouldn't.

Maybe we should use those C Crane LED's for this one...

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 02-20-2003 01:39 AM

Click!

.....sigh.

Never mind.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-20-2003 09:46 AM

For those who have not logged on the space.com recently - there is an interesting series of articles by Seth Shostak on sorting artificial signals from 'witless cosmic noise' -

'SETI researchers are a bold lot. They’ve chosen to accept a mission that might dissuade Mr. Phelps. Year after year, they spin their telescopes to the sky, sifting through a broiling rumpus of cosmic static in hopes of finding a signal made by other beings.

But how will they know?

In our previous discussion we talked about the criterion of artificiality: some property of a transmission that would tag it as deliberately constructed – the equivalent of finding stacked cannonballs in a field of stone heaps. It sounds easy, but pulsars, discovered in the late 1960s, showed how quickly we could be duped by a completely natural phenomenon. Since then, SETI researchers have expended considerable neural energy in considering what type of radio emissions would unequivocally qualify as artificial.'

Article continues...

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-20-2003 09:58 AM

space.com - is a wonderful website! Imagine all this 'free' information. The Seti section there has scads of information. Just read an article about 'noctilucent' clouds.

A link to the Seti section -

Search for Life

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 02-21-2003 12:15 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Linnea:
space.com - is a wonderful website! Imagine all this 'free' information. The Seti section there has scads of information. Just read an article about 'noctilucent' clouds.

A link to the Seti section -

Search for Life
</font>
Indeed, Linnea! Powerfully potent info! I love that site Image

Mark

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-22-2003 01:35 AM

Thought I'd stumble in here and turn the light back on... and now I'm off to peruse Linnea's suggested reading. Image
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 02-25-2003 01:04 PM

Hey. Wassup?!

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-28-2003 05:56 PM

Not much here Gwen. Was away for a few days for my b'day. Doesn't look as though there has been much activity while I was off galavantin'. Is everyone ok? Image
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 03-01-2003 12:44 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DougBupstateNY:
Not much here Gwen. Was away for a few days for my b'day. Doesn't look as though there has been much activity while I was off galavantin'. Is everyone ok? Image</font>
We're all doing about the same... but the damn light bulb keeps going out. Maybe we should get one of those eighty dollar LED doodads from CCrane...

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 03-01-2003 10:22 AM

Doug, hope you had a very happy birthday.

I had to shut my computer down several times the past few days, when we had hail and thunderstorms. We have had more rain here in Phoenix the past 2 weeks than in past year. It's feast or famine here!

Where is lrs???? lrs, phone home! Image Miss your encouragement and your posts around the ship.

Bill, Doug, et al, have you given any thought to what we are going to do when this phase of Seti ends? I will keep on with AstroPulse or whatever they are doing. I just wonder what will happen teamwise.

Hope you all have a warm, peaceful weekend. Keep on Crunchin' Image

[This message has been edited by Gwen (edited 01 March 2003).]

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-01-2003 12:55 PM

Pithy questions - Gwen, do you still have the FF seti team emails? Why don't you send out an e and see if anyone will weigh in.

Happiest of birthdays to you Doug. Hope you celebrated properly. Image

My hard drive is getting noisy. Browser and Email programs keep jamming. Seti @home no longer recognizes me! Weird rays and possibly haarp signals are zinging and pinging all around the bridge. Do you think maybe ETs are sending back? Refraction attack?

'Light my bulb'

Return to “FANTASTIC FORUM ~ SETi Team”