Deadly red ants invade Hong Kong

Weird and unusual, whacked out news!

Moderator: Super Moderators

spaceprophet
Pirate

Deadly red ants invade Hong Kong

Post by spaceprophet » 01-31-2005 01:13 AM

Dealy Red Ants invade Hongkong - Godzilla, Gamera, Mothra issues collective statement saying "Competition makes us all stronger"

HONG KONG, China (Reuters) -- South American red fire ants, whose bite can kill humans, have been found in parks and open ground in urban areas of Hong Kong, the government has said.

Mounds of these ants were first spotted in the city's Kowloon district on Wednesday, but the government only confirmed the species as red fire ants on Saturday evening.

People bitten by these ants develop painful, itchy blisters, which can be fatal in rare cases, the government said.

Hong Kong is considering bringing in South American anteaters or a particular type of fly which is a natural predator of the ants, local newspapers said.

Red fire ants were found recently in Wuchan, in Guangdong province adjoining Hong Kong.

The insects were in tangerine trees and other potted plants, many of which were scheduled to be shipped to Hong Kong for Chinese New Year celebrations.

The Hong Kong government said it had stepped up inspections of plants imported from the mainland in a bid to prevent the ants from spreading in the city.

CNN

Pjean63
Pirate

Post by Pjean63 » 01-31-2005 12:26 PM

Sounds like the fire ant invasion in the US, nasty little buggers, and their bite is fatal in some instances. Too bad they made it all the way over there!
"I mock you with my monkey pants!" Oz-from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 02-02-2005 08:15 AM

Feed them to the birds that have the flu.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Pjean63
Pirate

Post by Pjean63 » 02-02-2005 09:22 PM

"Chicken soup" for ailing birds? LOL
"I mock you with my monkey pants!" Oz-from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Return to “Weird Nooz”