CNN gets pranked

Weird and unusual, whacked out news!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

CNN gets pranked

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 10-02-2005 08:20 AM

Claim: Crude 'funny name' appears on Hurricane Katrina survivor list.

Origins: Two of the oldest and crudest 'funny name' gags are to call switchboard operators and ask them to page a "Mike Hunt," and to give out one's name to the media as some variant of "Heywood Jablome."

Humor never completely disappears, even in the wake of disaster, as evidenced by a reappearance of Mr. Jablome shortly after Hurricane Katrina. Up until mid-day on 2 September 2005, the first on a "Hurricane Katrina Safe List" posted by CNN.com was one "Ablohmie, Hayward J." of New Orleans, Louisiana. Anxious relatives of Mr. Hayward J. Ablohmie were undoubtedly relieved to know that, according to CNN, he had been "evacuated to Baton Rouge."

We don't know whether some prankster actually represented himself as "Hayward J. Ablohmie" or whether someone connected with CNN jokingly added the name to the list before it was posted, but Mr. Ablohmie was removed from an version.
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

Lakesider
Pirate

Post by Lakesider » 10-02-2005 11:57 AM

Stern callers prank CNN from time to time and there's a few clips floating around the net showing as much. Bill O'Reilly got pranked with a Haywood Jablome listner email a while back.

Oswald
Pirate

Post by Oswald » 10-02-2005 11:04 PM

I recall a few months ago, here at work they played the "Mike Hunt" game with a female supervisor from the maintenance division. She was going around and calling on the loudspeaker if anyone had seen Mike Hunt. From what I understand hilarity ensued...
You tell those bastards that if they know what is good for them, they had better surrender because I will never be far away. -George S. Patton Jr.

Return to “Weird Nooz”