Cleric: Promiscuous women cause earthquakes

Weird and unusual, whacked out news!

Moderator: Super Moderators

megman
Parrothead

Cleric: Promiscuous women cause earthquakes

Post by megman » 04-19-2010 09:34 PM

BEIRUT (AP) — A senior Iranian cleric says women who wear immodest clothing and behave promiscuously are to blame for earthquakes.

Iran is one of the world’s most earthquake-prone countries, and the cleric’s unusual explanation for why the earth shakes follows a prediction by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that a quake is certain to hit Tehran and that many of its 12 million inhabitants should relocate.

Rest of the rubbish
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-21-2010 01:09 PM

...from the article
In 2003, a powerful earthquake hit the southern city of Bam, killing 31,000 people - about a quarter of that city's population - and destroying its ancient mud-built citadel.
Then again, it may be tempting fate to name a city in an earthquake zone 'Bam'.
:D

And, dslfobia - what's with this talk about women and 'fatties'? Are there no fat men? Or do they get a pass. Kinda sexist, isn't it? You could find yourself in some trouble here over that kind of thinking, no?*

:rolleyes:

* unless you are referring to doobies?

Your post kinda reminds me of Dave - Old 65 - whose first post on the forum was ' c'mon, ladies - get with the program'. He took a lot of grief for that. Just so ya know...

Sheesh!

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 04-21-2010 04:08 PM

I always chuckle at the similarities of Christian and Muslim "leaders". I mean the same thing we hear here when earthquakes or hurricans happen they have it there. It reminds me of the list of similar things Conservs stand for that are very similar to how the worst of the Muslim world operates and at the same time shouting how horrible they are.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-21-2010 04:25 PM

* hmmmm just noticed two threads with same topic - hence the merge

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-22-2010 12:55 PM

Actually, everybody knows all major earthquakes are caused by Deepak Chopra....
Deepak Chopra Apologizes for Starting Earthquake on Twitter

Alternative physician and transcendental meditation guru Deepak Chopra used his Twitter account to apologize for causing the 7.2-magnitude earthquake felt in California and parts of Mexico and the southwestern United States on Sunday, April 4.
http://mashable.com/2010/04/04/deepak-c ... arthquake/

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-22-2010 12:57 PM

OMG wrote: I always chuckle at the similarities of Christian and Muslim "leaders". I mean the same thing we hear here when earthquakes or hurricans happen they have it there. It reminds me of the list of similar things Conservs stand for that are very similar to how the worst of the Muslim world operates and at the same time shouting how horrible they are.

From the article:
Women in the Islamic Republic are required by law to cover from head to toe
Yeah, just like the US...

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 04-22-2010 02:48 PM

BLAME THE WOMEN! Isn't that's how it's always been, ever since someone wrote the "Garden of Eden" story and blamed Eve for eating fruit and sharing it with Adam? Men always think it's OUR FAULT. Peronally, I think this shows how ridiculous life is, and how some things never seem to change.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-22-2010 05:19 PM

Amazing how any comments on this topic magically transmogrify into a diatribe against Christianity. Hey, everybody, Comedy Central just censored South Park because of death threats from Muslim extremists! Those damn Christians!

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 04-22-2010 09:06 PM

The pot is still stirring because of the cleric's comments:

U.S. student dares women to bust out for 'Boobquake'

An Islamic cleric's suggestion that immodestly dressed women cause earthquakes has drawn thousands to join an American student's busty bid to shake up the world — by revealing cleavage.

Jen McCreight is the creator of Boobquake, an event scheduled for Monday, which has already garnered the support of more than 40,000 people on Facebook.

McCreight, a 22-year-old attending Purdue University in Indiana, is pushing women to bare their breast cleavage for a day to satirize Islamic cleric Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi, who recently blamed earthquakes on immodest female clothing.

Rest of story
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 04-23-2010 02:34 AM

HB3 wrote: Amazing how any comments on this topic magically transmogrify into a diatribe against Christianity. Hey, everybody, Comedy Central just censored South Park because of death threats from Muslim extremists! Those damn Christians!

Blame the Christians, HB3? Sorry... that's not the point. OUR Bible isn't the only book that talks about how lusting over a woman's body when she shows too much of her skin causes the downfall of men. I was pointing out that if MEN are really as bright/intelligent and the LEADERS of all good in civilizations, world-wide, as most men want to believe they are, they would be strong enough to NOT be tempted to do anything they wouldn't normally do, if they feel it's right... BTW, was Genesis written by a man or a woman? :D
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-23-2010 10:24 AM

Bobbi Snow wrote: Blame the Christians, HB3? Sorry... that's not the point. OUR Bible isn't the only book that talks about how lusting over a woman's body when she shows too much of her skin causes the downfall of men. I was pointing out that if MEN are really as bright/intelligent and the LEADERS of all good in civilizations, world-wide, as most men want to believe they are, they would be strong enough to NOT be tempted to do anything they wouldn't normally do, if they feel it's right...
[/b]

This, of course, is one of the great literary themes, not just a religious theme. Read The Iliad lately? The incredible, even "archetypal" power of women is well established through antiquity, feminism notwithstanding. In fact there's a good argument to be made that feminism diminishes women's power on that basis.
BTW, was Genesis written by a man or a woman? :D

Well, the traditional answer is Moses, right? Surely living in this repressive Christian theocracy, you'd know this? I guess scholars now have a group of alphanumeric but otherwise anonymous writers they think were responsible.
Last edited by HB3 on 04-23-2010 10:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Weird Nooz”