Bastogne, Belgium's WW II Nuts Museum - Hmm! Maybe not!

Weird and unusual, whacked out news!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate

Bastogne, Belgium's WW II Nuts Museum - Hmm! Maybe not!

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 12-20-2015 12:09 AM

My username was Coal Glow Kidd at a house full of skeptics called Daily Snopes, a VERY LIBERAL home for urban legends. :confused:

:lol: My last post stopped a Flanders, Belgium man's "Nuts?" thread quite dead in it's tracks :!: I did that closer on several topics at snopes. :P :lol:

This is a real truth told about our brave American troop's resolve to win The Battle of the Bulge beginning at 5:30 AM on December 16, 1944! :(

Here's Sgt. Willie's story putting our 101st Air Borne's General Anthony McAuliffe's "Aw Nuts!" reply to the surrounding German Army to rest as a "first" reply to surrender his division. "Nuts was actually his second reply that could be printed in The Stars and Stripes and America's newspapers." :mrgreen: Those were his exact words told to me while I held Willie's WW II photo showing him helmeted in battle dress holding his .45 Thompson across his left side!

You see, Willie was a member of Blackie Harris' gangsters in Southern Illinois during the 1930's! :shock: The infamous rivalry of the Shelton and Harris gangs made the criminal history books! Our little Indiana town claimed two members of the Harris Gang retired from crime and never caught. So Willie was quite familiar with a Thompson sub machine gun well before jumping on D-Day into the perils and scares of Normandy, France the night of June 5, 1944 :!:

Later on in December of 1944 were some of the darkest days and nights for our cold, snow covered troops trying the halt the German's last ditch suicidal attack to split the Allied forces west of Belgium's legendary Ardennes Forest. :( :cry:

Here's "the rest of the story" our late news icon Paul Harvey did not know to tell his dedicated daily listeners. :wink: This non legendary first reply would not have been an easy story to tell his millions of fans on Mid-day radio! :idea:

Avoid the two new pop up side bar adds with this link. Crossing fingers it stays clear of them!

http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/ulti ... 00364.html

Pop ups! :x
http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ulti ... 00364.html

MK II Cody in Indiana :)

I just Searched Bastogne and look what I found under Weird News. There was my post on this same legendary message using my first username at the FF. Going into the 42 "dark pages" under Weird News this date 09-27-2002 01:56 AM was not posted. :?

http://fantasticforum.com/1res/viewtopi ... gne#p28059

The top three legendary quotes from World War II were, "Remember Pearl Harbor!", ***** star General Douglas MaCarther's "I shall return!" and * star General Anthony McAuliffe's "Aw nuts!" The first one and the last one were strangely connected to this small Indiana town. 8)

I hope you've viewed the above link's last post of mine at snopes that was better off non news nationwide in December of 1944. Here linked below is the other much more frequently quoted battle cry viewed for the first time on December 7, 1939! That prophetic news from SW Indiana was in all the nation's newspapers soon after President Franklin Roosevelt spoke these words to Congress in the US Capital Building, "December 7, 1941, a day that will live in infamy!" :(

http://fantasticforum.com/1res/viewtopi ... =41&t=2100
Last edited by Malaria_Kidd II on 01-31-2018 08:20 AM, edited 8 times in total.
"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one but don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!" :oops: :wink: from 'Gun Shots' on Twitter/ Check out http://malarino.com/ it's 95% Turmeric :!: :mrgreen:

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate

Re: Bastogne, Belgium's WW II Nuts Museum - Hmm! Maybe not!

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 01-25-2016 02:24 AM

Go to Bastogne starting at the time line of 42:45.........

Last edited by Malaria_Kidd II on 08-10-2016 11:01 AM, edited 2 times in total.
"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one but don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!" :oops: :wink: from 'Gun Shots' on Twitter/ Check out http://malarino.com/ it's 95% Turmeric :!: :mrgreen:

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate

1991 The Star Times weekly paper: not weird at all!

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 03-11-2016 10:38 AM

"American Soldiers"

A soldier in the army,
Will do the best he can
Seems all the battles that he's in,
Are fought in foreign lands.
They don't ask where they're go'in,
Or how long the job will take,
They use their wits and weapons,
To correct someone's mistake.
The life in the foxhole,
Is not a pleasant one,
But he has to stay there,
Until the job is done.
And on the field of battle,
They fall one by one,
They are not only soldiers,
They are somebody's sons. :(

By Bernard Doyle McLean, March 1991

That was from then Sergeant B. D. "Willie" McLean. A war time and post war friend to General Anthony "Tony" MacAuliffe commanding the 101st Air Borne Division's valiant and successful stand defending the many roads into Bastogne, Belgium in December 1944. :wink:

MK II
Last edited by Malaria_Kidd II on 01-22-2018 02:46 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 03-13-2016 08:20 PM

:miked: Calling all U.S.A. military members, veterans and history enthusiasts! Is there anybody.....out there? :idea:

So far that line has failed to work. So saving you a trip to snopes, here's my thread killer for Flanders, Belgium's Bug Muldoon's "Nuts" entry long archived since 2004 under Military @ snopes dot com........... :wink:

(My avatar is the "Jug", the P-37 Thunderbolt fighter-bomber assembled in Evansville, Indiana!) :wink:

I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 500 posted 29 March, 2004 12:02 AM
Profile for Coal Glow Kidd
Evansville, Indiana

Edit/Delete post Reply with quote

:oops: The OP noted wrongly World War 1 :?

:wink: World War Two it was Bug............ I can truthfully relate my memory to this "Nuts?" thread with 23 replies. I'd always wished Ernie Pyle had heard what I did. I'll try to be short in content. The winter of 1982 I went to our pool room for a little winding down. I had been up all night hauling hogs to our local meat packer.

Willie was there and surprisingly he said, "Do you want to go with me to check coyote traps?" I said, "Sure, I'll go!", and trappers normaly don't do that. After 40 minutes with no disturbed traps we came back. Inside at a front table he opened his billfold and presented a perfectly preserved photo of himself in battle dress holding his Thompson sub machine gun. On his shoulder were sergeant's stripes keeping company with the Screaming Eagle of the 101st.

For starters he said, "I was in Bastogne in the Battle of the Bulge with General Anthony "Tony" McAuliffe and I bet you heard he'd said,"Nuts!" when asked to surrender." I then said, "Yes, that's his famous reply." Willie leaned over the pool hall's table and whispered, "He said Bull sh!t!" Next he said with a quizzical look, " No one ever believes me when I tell that!" He implied he was within arms reach of the General when the words were heard. Willie then added, "Nuts!", would be more appropriate for the Stars and Stripes and the national press back home."

He related the 101st had heard of the Malmedy massacre, and no way would they consider the German's request for surrender. For 30 minutes more he told of being able to set our watches to expect the German attacks on the side of town he was on. I think he said,"10:30 am and 2:30 pm".

He mentioned the side-by-side houses on the edge of town with basements. The paratroopers had dug connecting holes in the basement walls to run through to be several houses away if bazooka rockets were shot at one tank they'd send with infantry. That strategy would save lives in case of a miss. He added that each attack only one tank was used and he didn't know why.

In 1994* a poem he wrote about his experiences was published in the Princeton Daily Clarion newspaper.

4/9/16 - Fantastic Forum's entry: * Willie's short "American Soldier" poem above notes 1991 so the date I noted above at snopes must be incorrect. :oops:

The surrounded 101st Airborne's paratroopers, knowing the truth that to surrender meant death; accurate artillery; the bazooka; Patton's 3rd Army's 4th Armored Division; and clearing weather allowing the Thunderbolt and C-47 Army pilot's to fly; is what saved the 101st Airborne Division according to history,....and Willie!

Noted from the Band Of Brothers on the History Channel,...an insight. The paratroopers of the 101st said they were holding their own, and didn't need to be rescued.

With all the cursing in Band of Brothers I hoped to hear the two words that "Aw, Nuts!" replaced according to Willie. I haven't the slightest idea why he would make this up, and I'm sure he knew the legend would always be, "Aw, Nuts!" As bull sh!t wouldn't fly then as now. :roll:

Willie took this story to his grave. You ought to see what was inscribed on his first grave stone. The cemetery board let it ride, but no more will ever say a similar phrase. His heirs then replaced the first stone with a less vulgar message as his epitaph to experiencing war first hand up front and close in, as in Hell :!:

CGK :wink:

--------------------
So if you're tired of the same old story,....Oh, turn some pages. REO Speedwagon from Champaign,Urbana, Illinois.

MK 2 :mrgreen: I sure am glad Willie told me "The rest of the story and now you know it! Good day!"

I'm just remembering and missing the late great USA radio news icon Paul Harvey by adding that last line and no doubt he never told that news on the radio! :|

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 08-17-2016 06:42 PM

Willie's story is back again for another pass down page 1!

:idea: One of my goals is telling anyone who would read it, what he told me. Feedback is oh so rare after posting this in two countries so far. :| This is not meant to be a game (legend) changer as curse words never flew well in public news throughout history. :wink:

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 12-22-2017 08:17 AM

Malaria_Kidd II wrote:
08-17-2016 06:42 PM
Willie's story is back again for another pass down page 1!

:idea: One of my goals is telling anyone who would read it, what he told me. Feedback is oh so rare after posting this in two countries so far. :| This is not meant to be a game (legend) changer as curse words never flew well in public news throughout history. :wink:
During that cold snowy day inside a Nazi surrounded Bastogne on December 22, 1944. Sgt. Willie McClean was an eye/ear witness to a rarity, coupled with the origin of a US military legend. When he heard his one star general and close friend curse. It was a good thing the cursing did not make our history books!📚

Don't be confused by the date above, it's the 22nd. Today in honor of Willie and his fact based report to me, this thread is moved out of Dark Page #5 to page #1 for another go.

On this very day in real US history General Anthony C. "Tony" McAuliffe wrote "Nuts!" in response to the Nazi officers surrender demands. In squashed alternate news in WW II Allied annals, he really said "bull sh!t!", first!🐂

MK II

Return to “Weird Nooz”