Report: Flu pandemic could kill half million in U.S.

Health, bio-technology

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Report: Flu pandemic could kill half million in U.S.

Post by SETIsLady » 06-24-2005 02:38 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Half a million Americans could die and more than 2 million could end up in the hospital with serious complications if an even moderately severe strain of a pandemic flu hits, a report predicted on Friday.

But the United States only has 965,256 staffed hospital beds, said the report from the Trust for America's Health.

The non-profit group's state-by-state analysis adds to a growing clamor of voices contending that the United States is not prepared for a large outbreak of disease, whether natural or brought on by war or terrorism.

"This is not a drill. This is not a planning exercise. This is for real," said the Trust's executive director, Shelley Hearne, in a statement.

In an average year, influenza kills an estimated 36,000 Americans and puts 200,000 into the hospital.

A more serious strain strikes every few years and a so-called pandemic strain emerges once every 27 years, on average. The more virulent strains sweep around the world within months.

Pandemics hit in 1918 -- killing up to 40 million people globally -- 1957 and 1968. Health experts all say the world is overdue for another and fear the avian flu in Asia may be it.

Full Story

I know there is a thread for this...but I wanted to make sure people saw this...we are being prepped folks :(

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 06-26-2005 06:32 AM

Well, I'm glad somebody counted the hospital beds.
This kind of journalism really makes me wonder. Good writers don't use the word "could."
I can think of a million nighmarish scenarios about the U.S. not having enough [whatever], and we're all gonna die. Every single one of them contains the word "could." What a bunch of crap.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Return to “Health”