Hospitals are hackers’ biggest new target

Health, bio-technology

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doka
Pirate

Hospitals are hackers’ biggest new target

Post by Doka » 04-02-2016 09:20 AM

A MUST READ ARTICLE

Under pressure to digitize everything, hospitals are hackers’ biggest new target

Excerpt:

"And hospitals, in particular, are vulnerable. In the weeks before the attack on MedStar, hackers hit Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Angeles, extorting $17,000 in bitcoin out of the leadership, and Kentucky-based Methodist Hospital, which declared a state of emergency after an attack. Two southern California hospitals, part of Prime Healthcare Services, were attacked in March.

[These hackers can hold a town hostage. And they want ransom — paid in bitcoin.]

Justin Harvey, the chief security officer of Fidelis Cybersecurity, said the hackers’ success is likely to make them bolder, and he worries about critical infrastructure in the United States."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... ew-target/

As I was reading this I had to ask if this was just an accident that these systems are being set up with such easy access or is the Government just sending the message "See, an open internet is bad," We Need To Keep You Safe" smiling gleefully! We have been led so cunningly to the "seeds" of our own imprisonment in so many areas. :twisted:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

voguy
Pirate

Re: Hospitals are hackers’ biggest new target

Post by voguy » 04-02-2016 01:25 PM

Doka wrote:As I was reading this I had to ask if this was just an accident that these systems are being set up with such easy access or is the Government just sending the message "See, an open internet is bad," We Need To Keep You Safe" smiling gleefully! We have been led so cunningly to the "seeds" of our own imprisonment in so many areas. :twisted:
I think there are two answers to this. The first being the ineptness of IT people and security. The attitude of "it will never happen to us" prevails in a lot of businesses.

The other side of it is that often these corporate breaches are because of the enormity of the network and the inability of network admins to secure connections and keep watch on traffic. It's like a town of 5,000 having one cop in charge. And usually they put too much faith in outdated protection software.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Health”