Snowmageddon

Moderator: Super Moderators

Swerdloc
Pirate

Snowmageddon

Post by Swerdloc » 02-05-2010 12:37 PM

That's what the media have adopted as the name for the snowstorm that is coming this weekend to the East/Mid-Atlantic. The last big one, on 19 December, was dubbed "Snowpocalypse." While there's a high quotient of silly hyperbole contained therein, it's really no joke. They have just upped the expected total for my area to 28 inches, and the DC region is officially freaked out. By Sunday we will have had more snow in a winter than the area has had since they started keeping records, and the winter's only half over.

But we're stocked up on bread, cat food, TP, and beer, and ready {sigh} to shovel yet again. The snow started about an hour ago...
Anchors Aweigh

racehorse
Pirate

Re: Snowmageddon

Post by racehorse » 02-05-2010 12:48 PM

Swerdloc wrote: The snow started about an hour ago...

Take care and stay safe, Swerdloc. :)
racehorse

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 02-05-2010 01:09 PM

Glad to hear your stocked up Bill, stay safe and warm.

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 02-05-2010 01:27 PM

Bill, we just got the far-western edge of what's heading your way, and the snow is very wet and very heavy, and in that sense, actually worse than the blizzard snows. Twenty-eight inches of this will not be pretty. In addition to your stocked supplies, I wonder if you should also be ready for power-outages. The lines won't be able to withstand this.

But this godforsaken Winter is more than half-over, my friend. Keep yer eyes on the light at the end...........
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 02-05-2010 03:01 PM

Bill, I think you should retire from snow shoveling or, at least, from 28 inches of wet snow shoveling.

Take care. We love you.
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 02-05-2010 03:12 PM

Be careful, Bill. Shoveling snow is over-rated. As long as our car can safely make it to the road from the garage, I let the sun take care of it at its leisure.

I guess since the midwest tends to get big ice/snowstorms every year, we don't bother to name them?
Anchors Aweigh!

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 02-06-2010 11:12 AM

We lost our power this morning, along with about 200,000 other people in the area; I'm on my battery-powered netbook but I don't want to use up its limited juice. There's 20 inches on the ground--maybe more, it's blowing and hard to tell--and still falling steadily.

I plan on taking it easy as long as I can, and maybe longer. There's no deadline for shoveling.
Anchors Aweigh

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 02-06-2010 02:12 PM

We've got huge mudflows in the Los Angeles County "burn areas" and some flooding of streets throughout the city. Rod's been called out as a First Responder. Another heavy rain cell will be coming through in a couple of hours, but where we are, we're okay. Wish I didn't have to go out, but I've got a doctor's appointment I've been awaiting for 5 months... if I cancel, it will be July before I can get in, so wish me luck! I'll be heading into the Studio City area, and I'm NOT looking forward to driving the 101 in the rain!
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 02-06-2010 02:56 PM

Have been watching on TV it looks beautiful !! But I know its a pain after living in IL for 35 yrs. Stay safe and warm up there. It looks like a very heavy snow, so please becareful when shoveling.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 02-06-2010 04:06 PM

Bobbi Snow wrote: We've got huge mudflows in the Los Angeles County "burn areas" and some flooding of streets throughout the city. Rod's been called out as a First Responder. Another heavy rain cell will be coming through in a couple of hours, but where we are, we're okay. Wish I didn't have to go out, but I've got a doctor's appointment I've been awaiting for 5 months... if I cancel, it will be July before I can get in, so wish me luck! I'll be heading into the Studio City area, and I'm NOT looking forward to driving the 101 in the rain!

We're getting torrential rains up here in Northern CA, too, Bobbi. We haven't had as many problems with it as you have, but it's still AWFUL to try to drive in. We drove the freeway (I-5) in heavy rain during rush hour a few nights ago to go pick up my daughter after work at her new job (she doesn't drive, and the public transportation system is an expensive joke). It was horrible! We decided not to do that again. We can get there by surface streets, which wouldn't really take any longer during rush hour, and would be much less stressful (and safer), so we decided we'll just do that instead. Anyhow, I sympathize! Wishing you much luck on that drive! Be safe!

On the snowstorm, y'all stay safe and warm out there! I remember what it was like to be in a huge snowstorm, too. I miss snow sometimes, but not to the point I'd want to have to deal with something like this. You are all in our thoughts. Hope you keep your power and have enough supplies on hand not to have to go out until it's safe again.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 02-07-2010 05:54 AM

It sounds like California is getting its own version of our Snowpocalypse. (Another name going around is Snowtorious B.I.G.) Our power came on again at 5 this morning, after being off since 9.30 yesterday morning, so we have some serious warming up to do: it was very cold and dark here in the house. Then we can tackle the two feet or, two-and-a-half, or whatever it is of snow outside. Maybe we can get clear by Tuesday, when the weatherman is promising more snow, but not as bad this time.
Anchors Aweigh

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 02-07-2010 06:12 AM

Swerdloc wrote: It sounds like California is getting its own version of our Snowpocalypse. (Another name going around is Snowtorious B.I.G.) Our power came on again at 5 this morning, after being off since 9.30 yesterday morning, so we have some serious warming up to do: it was very cold and dark here in the house. Then we can tackle the two feet or, two-and-a-half, or whatever it is of snow outside. Maybe we can get clear by Tuesday, when the weatherman is promising more snow, but not as bad this time.

I hope your power didn't stay out too long...looks like you're o.k. :)

They predicted a Snowrannasaurus Rex here but nothing happened. My band cancelled a big recording session in STL because of the winter weather advisory.
Anchors Aweigh!

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 02-07-2010 09:56 AM

It's been quite the year of earth events, and we're only a month and a half into it. Is the Quickening back on, do you suppose?
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-08-2010 02:08 PM

Swerdloc -- hope you have a good generator - because sadly the system that went through the central USA is once again headed your way - followed by -- same ole same ole -- kinda a mess.

Stay safe!!

BTW -- we received 2 inches overnight, another 2 expected today or more... its heavy and wet - ....

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 02-08-2010 02:40 PM

No generator at all, and we're still digging out. There's no place to put the snow. I'm just hoping that the next system, due to hit us late Tuesday, veers north. Or south.
Anchors Aweigh

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”