Breaking News!! Ocean Floor About To Explode!!! Make Viral M

Moderator: Super Moderators

starrmtn001
Jester Mod

Breaking News!! Ocean Floor About To Explode!!! Make Viral M

Post by starrmtn001 » 08-03-2010 09:52 PM

O-M-G!!!

Just watched this myself. No photoshop here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5alY3-y ... _embedded#!

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 08-04-2010 01:40 AM

Doesn't the ocean floor, where there is methane, normally raise and fall like this, especially when it's been under such stress recently from all the drilling? I'll admit, I don't know much about this, but I've heard that areas off the coast of California do this sometimes, and we stopped all the new drilling a couple of decades ago.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

starrmtn001
Jester Mod

Post by starrmtn001 » 08-04-2010 12:28 PM

Yup. You're probably right. Lots of doooom going around.

I'm an celebate old phart.
So in lieu of Panic Sex, I had Panic Post. :eek:

I should know better. New rule for me; count to ten before I post.
:D

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-04-2010 12:36 PM

It's a myth put up by a website to sow panic.

There are oil leaks all the time on the ocean floor, apparently.

On a related note, how come no one's been commenting on the fact that the oil leak itself has largely disappeared? It's a pretty interesting story, but it plays against the narrative of man's aggressive and ongoing destruction of nature. Which is surely true in some ways, but apparently not in this case.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 08-04-2010 04:41 PM

HB3 wrote: On a related note, how come no one's been commenting on the fact that the oil leak itself has largely disappeared? It's a pretty interesting story, but it plays against the narrative of man's aggressive and ongoing destruction of nature. Which is surely true in some ways, but apparently not in this case.

Because the leaked oil hasn't "dissapeared".

It's been transformed.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-04-2010 07:29 PM

SquidInk wrote: Because the leaked oil hasn't "dissapeared".

It's been transformed.

I saw Senator Whitehouse from RI on tv earlier, along with a professor from the Univerity of RI, testifying before the US Senate, and according to this individual, because the dispersants were used along the sea floor, the oil wasn't allowed to rise to he surface - it's still down there. One of the problems is that, aside from the oil moving subsurface, is that no one knows how the dispersants will affect sea life, and therefore the food chain.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 08-04-2010 07:59 PM

kbot wrote: I saw Senator Whitehouse from RI on tv earlier, along with a professor from the Univerity of RI, testifying before the US Senate, and according to this individual, because the dispersants were used along the sea floor, the oil wasn't allowed to rise to he surface - it's still down there. One of the problems is that, aside from the oil moving subsurface, is that no one knows how the dispersants will affect sea life, and therefore the food chain.

Good points.

Yeah, it is said (although the benevolent corporations involved don't care to divulge "proprietary" recipes) corexit works by suspending the oil at the bottom or in the middle of the water column. It is also a toxin that acts to emulsify the oil, allowing the oil to disperse into surrounding water.

I can say this: I won't be eating seafood from that region for long while.

So, okay, if someone wants to say/believe that 100 million gallons of oil simply "disappeared" , then that's cool I guess. It's just a bit kooky.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-05-2010 04:36 AM

SquidInk wrote: Good points.

Yeah, it is said (although the benevolent corporations involved don't care to divulge "proprietary" recipes) corexit works by suspending the oil at the bottom or in the middle of the water column. It is also a toxin that acts to emulsify the oil, allowing the oil to disperse into surrounding water.

I can say this: I won't be eating seafood from that region for long while.

So, okay, if someone wants to say/believe that 100 million gallons of oil simply "disappeared" , then that's cool I guess. It's just a bit kooky.

And that's a concern to the local fishermen who need a few months to a year's worth of receipts to see how much they've been damaged, econimically. Unfortunately, although onshore seafood processing facilities are using "the sniff test" to determine if the catch is safe to eat, you wonder how many off-shore processing ships will use the same methods, and throw back questionable-quality product.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”