Calgary, Alta Submerged

Moderator: Super Moderators

Raggedyann
Pirate

Calgary, Alta Submerged

Post by Raggedyann » 06-21-2013 04:11 PM

CALGARY - Alberta's largest city was swamped Friday by floodwaters that submerged the first 10 rows of the Saddledome hockey arena, displaced tens of thousands of people and forced the evacuation of the downtown core.

"Get away from the river now!'' a police officer in a helicopter bellowed to residents in the low-lying Calgary neighbourhood of Sunnyside as they surveyed torrents of water that invaded their homes and sent everything from garbage cans to cars floating away.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/21 ... ref=canada

The pictures of this disaster are horrendous!
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-21-2013 06:24 PM

The Calgary Stampede grounds are under water. Fine by me! It can stay under water for all I care. Hopefully, the farm animals will get a holiday this year from ridiculous cruelty in the name of entertainment.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-21-2013 08:32 PM

Raggedyann wrote: The Calgary Stampede grounds are under water. Fine by me! It can stay under water for all I care. Hopefully, the farm animals will get a holiday this year from ridiculous cruelty in the name of entertainment.

Is it a rodeo type situaiton?

To tell you the truth I don't like that either -honeslty makes me queasy.
A man's character is his fate

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-21-2013 08:37 PM

Diogenes wrote: Is it a rodeo type situaiton?

To tell you the truth I don't like that either -honeslty makes me queasy.

It is a rodeo Dio. At least one horse dies every year in the stupid "macho" chuck wagon race and the stress that all the these animals suffer is caused by barbaric manhandling behaviour! I don't know what is so clever about chasing baby cows around, wrestling them to the ground and hog tying them. Turns my stomach too. :(
Last edited by Raggedyann on 06-21-2013 08:51 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-21-2013 11:16 PM

Raggedyann wrote: It is a rodeo Dio. At least one horse dies every year in the stupid "macho" chuck wagon race and the stress that all the these animals suffer is caused by barbaric manhandling behaviour! I don't know what is so clever about chasing baby cows around, wrestling them to the ground and hog tying them. Turns my stomach too. :(

Oh RA - I am surprised there are no groups in Canada protesting this atrocity???????

Imagine the types of folks who pay to see this disgusting behavior.
A man's character is his fate

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-22-2013 12:42 AM

Diogenes wrote: Oh RA - I am surprised there are no groups in Canada protesting this atrocity???????

Imagine the types of folks who pay to see this disgusting behavior.

There are animal rights groups that protest at stampedes every year and they are basically ignored. Money, money, money! This crap brings in money! The Canadian Gov't is not big on animal rights. The Seal Hunt should tell you all you need to know. Disgusting! I am hopeful that this industry will go under because many countries have now boycotted the purchase of Canadian seal fur.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-22-2013 11:10 PM

the flood is crazy, the pictures are amazing. It is a strange place to flood so badly, I don't remember it happening before.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-23-2013 12:09 AM

Apparently it flooded in 2005 but nowhere near as bad as this.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-23-2013 12:43 AM

I have a good buddy out there but he lives on a higher part of the city, is fine, but his job at the airport is messed up.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-23-2013 12:55 AM

Sorry Ladies I happen to one of those "pin headed" oafs that enjoys the rodeo once in a while. Just kind of raised on it. Sorry about your strong feelings about it, it must be very stressful for you.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-23-2013 01:00 AM

Doka wrote: Sorry Ladies I happen to one of those "pin headed" oafs that enjoys the rodeo once in a while. Just kind of raised on it. Sorry about your strong feelings about it, it must be very stressful for you.

I was going to say, although I don't understand it completely, I think it can be done safely and humanely, and it is a tradition to many people. Horse and dog races are not much different, and heck, I eat beef and many other meats...

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-23-2013 01:01 AM

...and I have been to Calgary during rodeo time, and it is a blast big time.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-23-2013 01:11 AM

Really a devastating flood. What horrible wild weather the world seems to be experiencing. :eek:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-23-2013 01:18 AM

Fan wrote: I was going to say, although I don't understand it completely, I think it can be done safely and humanely, and it is a tradition to many people. Horse and dog races are not much different, and heck, I eat beef and many other meats...

For me it isn't about eating meat or what have you. It's about putting animals through extreme stress for sport. Imagine your cats going through what these poor critters go through with thousands of people cheering and yelling? It's inhumane. I have seen the terror in the eyes of these animals at the Rodeo and on TV and it makes me ill to think that humans still need to use animals to exercise dominance.

The Romans had barbaric traditions too.

Rodeos are not safe for animals. We just don't hear about the deaths and injuries.

http://www.peta2.com/issue/rodeo-cruelty-for-a-buck/
Last edited by Raggedyann on 06-23-2013 01:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-23-2013 01:57 AM

I agree ethically however I respect tradition too. I have many dichotomies in me.

Hemingway is one who taught me respect and deeper meaning in bullfighting. I still don't agree with it necessarily, just like I don't agree with warfare, but I respect both great bullfighters and great soldiers. Animals always have been used as workers (slaves) in our history, and to me this is a holdover from olden times celebrating this history.

I have personally never seen anything that I thought was cruel in a modern (Calgary-type) rodeo. We are pretty careful in Canada about animal cruelty... the Shriner's circus was banned here.

I don't know. My summed up thoughts are that a rodeo as I know it is no different than using racehorses or racedogs (maybe better), plus I eat animals killed for food, and I consider killing worse than what I have seen from rodeos or dogshows. Pets or meat. Which is worse? This is an eternal question, and one we ourselves must face I think.

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”