The Big Freeze

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

The Big Freeze

Post by Riddick » 01-06-2014 12:55 PM

Would you believe it's 17 below zero (with a blistering wind chill of minus 46) just now here at my locale in SE Wisconsin?

According to Accuweather, today's temperature is projected to climb to 12 below before falling to a nighttime low of 16 below. Tuesday we can expect a daytime peak of 1 degree, with a 6 below low overnight before a barely double-digit high of 10 Wednesday.

With a winter wind chill warning in effect 'til noon tomorrow, emergency authorities are urging the public to use common sense when dressing for the weather, wearing layers and covering sensitive areas like ears, nose and fingers -

Good advice, that is if you gotta go outside - This kinda weather is more or less made for staying in the great warm indoors donchathink?

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 01-06-2014 02:45 PM

It has been a long time since I have dealt with cold like this. What I have never had happen before is at midnight it was 56 now at almost 3pm it is 14 a 42 degree drop and by midnight tonight it is predicted to get to -8 a 64 degree drop in temp in 24 hours. That is wild.

Not Sam
Life is short drink good coffee.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-06-2014 03:25 PM

I was 53 when I left home this morning at 6:00AM. I'm being told it will be sub-zero tonight.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 01-06-2014 04:04 PM

kbot wrote: I was 53 when I left home this morning at 6:00AM.

So how old were you when you got home? :D
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-06-2014 05:58 PM

Raggedyann wrote: So how old were you when you got home? :D

Man I'm tired........ :rolleyes:
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Re: The Big Freeze

Post by Dude111 » 01-07-2014 02:16 AM

Riddick wrote: Would you believe it's 17 below zero (with a blistering wind chill of minus 46) just now here at my locale in SE Wisconsin?
Yes I do!!!!!

I DO HOPE IT WARMS UP FOR YOU SOON RIDDICK!!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-07-2014 07:17 AM

Heard on the Boston news channel this morning that flights out of Boston were cancelled due to the jet fuel freezing........

Drove into work this morning with my car door locks frozen. Blasted the heck outta the locks with de-icer. No effect. Made for a nice drive into the city with the "door open" light lit-up on my dashboard....... :eek:

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 01-07-2014 09:50 AM

a 59 degree drop in 24 hours. 56 to -3
Life is short drink good coffee.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-07-2014 11:21 AM

kbot wrote: Heard on the Boston news channel this morning that flights out of Boston were cancelled due to the jet fuel freezing........

Drove into work this morning with my car door locks frozen. Blasted the heck outta the locks with de-icer. No effect. Made for a nice drive into the city with the "door open" light lit-up on my dashboard....... :eek:

Kbot,

What a work ethic - anyone else would have called in unable to report.:headbang:
A man's character is his fate

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-07-2014 11:49 AM

Healthcare - we can't do that........

Last week, before the last storm, we all received an e-mail "reminding" us of our obligations as workers in healthcare. The "expectation" (quoting from the e-mail) was that our "personal lives were secondary to our jobs. Bring in extra clothes, medicines, whatever you as an employee need. If you need to make living arrangements for kids or elders that you care for, do it. Just be prepared to report for work and stay indefinitely."

Happens all the time......

Meanwhile, ALL government workers were given the day off (presumably with pay...).

We had staff sleeping on Ultrasound and CT tables, unused beds and stretchers....... the small town I live in pretty much had all the streets plowed. I came into the city and immediately hit about eight inches of unplowed snow at the end of the off-ramp. Makes you wonder what all the cty workers had been doing all night.....

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-07-2014 11:57 AM

Used to be he out security dept staff would pick-up and drop off employees. Since we went for-profit, that stopped. They fired our security people and we basically have mall cops - some company out of New Jersey. They don't do a lot of stuff they old hospital-employed security dept does.

Back during the blizzard of '78 my wife (who is a nurse) was brought-in to work on a snow mobile. On another day during that same time, she was brought to and from work by Mass national Guard transporting nurses in a duce-and-a-half.

We have to carry our hospital ID on us going to and from work because we'd get ticketed by state police if caught out on the roads during a declared emergency. The chief tech in nuclear medicine got caught by a cop over in RI and made her turn around and go home, even though she showed her hospital ID. She ended-up coming in to work by another route. Another manager in radiology tore-up the bottom of her car coming-in to work the 11-7 shift during a storm a few years back. She's still upset about that........ We had one tech working the 11-7 weekend shift that was really sick - playing musical chairs on the toilet - diarrhea and vomiting al night long. "Just don't call-in sick on nights, weekends or holidays.........." is kind of a mantra in healthcare.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 01-07-2014 12:59 PM

ah you wimps. Put a jacket on :)

Do this, it will make you feel better.

The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-07-2014 07:35 PM

Fan wrote: ah you wimps. Put a jacket on :)

Do this, it will make you feel better.

I liked the clip on the news last night where they were showing an open bottle of water freezing right before your eyes.

Makes me think that scenes shown the movie The Day After Tomorrow probably aren't far off the mark......

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-08-2014 01:12 AM

IMHO living in Wisconsin ain't for wimps, any winter.

As it is, while I don't like it, I can handle this big blast of arctic cold. OTOH, my car battery couldn't. Then again, it was just about out of warranty anyway. Luckily I was able to rectify the situation with no trouble, apart from a $140 expense I'd hoped I could put off a while longer!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 01-08-2014 09:58 AM

no I was kidding of course, it is amazing the temps some places are getting. My Dad in Cornwall is right in the path of extreme weather as well, massive 50 foot waves, flooding everywhere. Weather can be scary.

I can't imagine living in a flimsy house not designed or insulated for cold weather and going through night after night of -30C.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”