The Big Freeze

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-21-2014 12:22 PM

Fan wrote: Yes, my family comes from the Hudon dit Beaulieu line, from Riviere-Ouelle in Quebec.

I would be happy to help you translate any documents you may find, pretty much everything is in french as I am sure you have found :)

An excerpt from that history, while trying to repel Iroquios attackers:

Thanks Fan. Since my family and my wife's family lived in Quebec, everything is in French. Some things I can get by on - others, not so much.... My line is Gamache and Marquis and my wife's is Caouette/ Mailloux - and then all those branches.....

I find that - going beyond the recording of names/ dates/ places, that if you can stumble upon some document that informs you of what was going on at the time that it can make a world of difference.

I found some information on my wife's side of the family where she had some relative that was one of the Filles du Roi - so I had to look-up information on these young women to find out what and who they were...... fascinating subject in itself. Sometimes I've been able to find some narrative work that someone had already done on a common ancestor. The early settlers had a brutal existence just trying to survive.......
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 01-21-2014 05:19 PM

fos wrote: I read an article linked by Drudge yesterday.

Due to reduced Sun activity, some scientists are predicting global colding again.

Where are those computer models when you need them.

Need to call Savich and Sherlock with the FBI....

convenient how they always have an answer when things don't go the way they predicted...
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-22-2014 02:52 AM

Warming, cooling? It doesn't matter. Sunspot activity? Makes no difference. The one undeniable truth is humons are the culprits behind climate change - and unprecedented government control over day to day life is the only solution.

Yet there are those who resist. Saving the world is serious business folks! The sooner EVERYONE pitches in their part by reducing their personal carbon footprint, the better...

If you don't know where to start, might I suggest something as simple as breathing? Just inhale more and exhale less.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-22-2014 07:17 AM

Then here are those nasty cows and their flatulance issues.........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 01-22-2014 11:12 AM

and once again the arctic air hits ...
They are talking as much as -25°F by Thurs morning -- cold cold cold...
LOTS of wind!

SO gee the solar cycle is turning around and now the scientists or whomever -- global cooling. They say coldest in 30 yrs out East USA -- and of course they got snow - closed schools, roads and wow DC closed too.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-22-2014 11:55 AM

Think of Al Gore and his associates like David Blood as the Bernie Madoff of the environmental movement. They created a market which has been disintegrating from day one, including a total collapse of the Chicago Climate Exchange, but not before the principle players cashed in their shares and abandoned that hip. It’s a epic story of modern day high priests and sooth sayers, political hubris and pseudo-scientific largess on a scale never before seen in history.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/climate-ch ... ss/5365419

This article is well worth reading. And I had to chuckle over the Blood and Gore thing, that is David Blood and Al Gore. The "gods of the universe" seems to have a rollicking since of humor! :D

It has been sitting at 29* here with no sun for so long, I am beginning to get used to it. We also have had "bad air" for a week, with maybe a break around the 25th. :(
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-22-2014 12:14 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: and once again the arctic air hits ...
They are talking as much as -25°F by Thurs morning -- cold cold cold...
LOTS of wind!

SO gee the solar cycle is turning around and now the scientists or whomever -- global cooling. They say coldest in 30 yrs out East USA -- and of course they got snow - closed schools, roads and wow DC closed too.

Yeah, its been fun out here. Blizzard conditions from the coast inland - air temps barely above zero, but with the winds whipping-in off the ocean it's been colder than it has been in years. Sub-zero wind chills are becoming fairly common this winter.... I have to give kudos to the city's mayor here. The past few storms he's opened the city hall to anyone who needs a safe warm place to stay

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-22-2014 01:56 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: SO gee the solar cycle is turning around and now the scientists or whomever -- global cooling. They say coldest in 30 yrs out East USA -- and of course they got snow - closed schools, roads and wow DC closed too.
What's important here is understanding the nuances of modern climate science. Any seriously extreme weather event can be confusing to laymen who don't know warming causes cooling, and vice versa.

Don't be fooled by the naysayers. Sure, so-called "solar cycles" influence climate, but clearly humon civilization and its cumulative effect on earth's atmosphere needs be the overriding concern going forward. Carbon pollution and its desperately deleterious and dangerously deadly impact on the world MUST be addressed before it's too late...

That's not to say controlling humon behavior to an extreme isn't a tough job - But hey! SOMEBODY'S gotta do it.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-29-2014 12:23 PM

Living in the northeast, thisd boggles my mind. Then again, having lived in Texas when I was ni the Air Force, and seeing the Dallas/ Fort Worth come to a complete standstill with less than 1/4" of snow, I can understand a little........

Snow, ice strand Atlanta commuters, school kids

Just a few inches of snow brings Atlanta-area to a halt.

ATLANTA -- The Georgia National Guard was out in force Wednesday to rescue motorists trapped all night in their cars on Atlanta's icebound freeways from a harsh winter storm that forced many drivers to abandon their cars outright and left children to camp out in their schools.

Some commuters pleaded for help via cellphones while still holed up in their cars, while others trudged miles home, abandoning their vehicles outright.

Highways were littered with abandoned cars as commuters bailed out, some seeking warmth at shelter at 17 Home Depot that opened their doors to take in wayward motorists.

At Atlanta's East River Elementary School, about 100 students spent the night on mats on the floor, covered with coats and blankets. The children got caught out when school buses were unable to pick them up.

Some relieved parents, who spent the night trying to reach their children's schools, had begun picking up their children Wednesday.

"This has been an ordeal for everyone," said Georgia DOT spokeswoman Natalie Dale. "This storm and the bitter temperatures have caused so much difficulty, discomfort and anxiety for so many Georgians. We believe roadways will be restored to some level of normalcy today but would encourage the public to remain home, preferably all day."

Only about two-to-three inches of snow fell in Atlanta on Tuesday, but it was enough to ground hundreds of flights at Hartsfield International Airport — the U.S.'s busiest -- and paralyze the metropolitan area.

Debbie Hartwig, a waitress at an Atlanta area waffle house, said she managed to keep her cool thanks in part to the kindness of strangers after 10 hours on the road.

"I'm calm," she said. "That's all you can be. People are helping each other out, people are moving cars that have spun out or had become disabled. It's been really nice. I even saw people passing out hot coffee and granola bars."

"This was, hands down, the worst day of my life," Evan McLean of Canton, who told The Atlanta Journal-Constitutionthat he "was literally stranded on Canton road for two and half hours without moving an inch."

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal, who dispatched guard troops in Humvees to clear the freeways, said Tuesday's storm "came unexpectedly."

As of 9 p.m., the Georgia State Patrol says they have been called out to investigate some 940 crashes since 10 a.m. Tuesday morning. The crashes have resulted in 104 injuries and one fatality, WXIA-TV reports.

Deal, like the governors of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, North Carolina and South Carolina, declared a state of emergency.

http://http://www.usatoday.com/story/we ... h/5010845/

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-29-2014 05:04 PM

I love how all the southern mayors and governors say "we didn't know it was going to be this bad". Jackasses.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”