Ya Got Weather?? Ya Say...

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Re: Ya Got Weather?? Ya Say...

Post by kbot » 01-19-2019 07:13 PM

Started snowing a couple of hours ago. Tomorrow's high's near 60, then slamming into reverse with single digits Monday morning with the potential for an ice storm. WTF!!!!!!! :shock:
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-19-2019 08:54 PM

We got about 5 inches inland but Milwaukee's under a Winter Storm Warning 'til noon tomorrow for additional lake effect snowfall

Our forecast low overnight is a whopping 1 degree ("real feel" 18 Below!). Sunday's "sunny" afternoon temp could climb all the way to 12 (7 rf), then tumble down and bottom out at minus 3 (-6 rf) -

For a warm-up they're saying Upper 20s by Tuesday? :D -- WITH another "snow event"! :realmad:
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-21-2019 10:52 AM

Around here we got ice for the most part. Went out early yesterday to clear al the slush out of my driveway before the freeze hit. Went out last night before the game and started the car and put down some salt. A coworker told me that she spun out last night going to work and wrecked her car. Up north they got upwards to 2 feet. Today's a holiday (for some....) so the roads weren't too bad.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-23-2019 05:53 PM

A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-24-2019 12:05 AM

Wow! You guys are really Cold :cold: If you will notice the West is un-naturally warm. Out here we depend pretty much totally on hydro-power (Dams)(and we have quite a few)which means that we depend on snowpack for our water for drnking, bathing , agricultural and Power needs. We have no snow pack this year. So we are facing a very questionable summer. We where made to get rid of our coal-fire plants some time ago.

If I'm not mistaken ,the East is still dependent on fossil fuels and some nuke power plants, you know more about that? Aside from freezing to death when you go outside, you must be paying huge heating bills?

Although the people here are delighted with no snow and moderate weather, ...........it does concern me.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-25-2019 06:08 AM

Doka wrote: 01-24-2019 12:05 AM you must be paying huge heating bills?
My house isn't huge plus I dress warm to help keep the bills down. Still, I expect a ding from this polar blast!

It's 7 below outside right now. Could get colder yet, the forecast was for minus 10 warming to 2 for a high Friday. Tomorrow night -15, then single digit "+" highs and "-" lows Sat & Sun. Snow & a high of 18 Mon -

THEN Tue and Wed we're in for crazy cold. How crazy? How about 30 to 35 below the average 27/10 highs & lows? I can't recall the last time it was that frigid. Not like it's something I care to remember.

-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-25-2019 09:36 PM

Over in Newport RI, they had a re-enactment of the gas line situation that occurred in the Metro-west area of Boston and the utilities have cut natural gas supplies the past week and are going house to house. Residents have been forced to move out and find housing while the utilities get the situation under control.

We've been back in the 30s with an expected Canadian polar blast to hit early next week with possibly sub-zero temps.

Riddick
Pirate

Winter Weather Dual Disaster Prepping

Post by Riddick » 01-27-2019 02:24 PM

Hey Now Y'all... Would you believe I'd have no problem with winter? If not for the weather, man. hahahah! Ah say son that's a word-play joke, do da do da

Meanwhile, in SE WI our already awful back and forth snow and cold situation hereabouts is in nearly no time at all expected to escalate big-time. To start, we're under a Winter Storm Warning from 9 PM tonite to 6 PM Monday - 7"-13" accumulation of snow, with a light sleet/ice glaze - THEN comes a 3 day arctic air blast, at the forecast extremes low of -26 Tue nite/hi -15 on Wed.

Not uncommon, the obligation to arrive for work and be on the job as per usual each day ALSO remains effective for the duration unless my employer informs me otherwise (yeah, good luck with that!)... Granted, allowing extra time for Monday commute COULD suffice; OTOH they're talking hazardous to impossible travel conditions, and wind chills that'll only become MORE dangerous

SO: plan is to apply this "day of rest" to effectively address disastrous worst case scenarios, assembling an emergency readiness contingencies kit before the snow flies followed by hard hitting fiercely frigid temps! A Sunday, a FUN day? Yeah right. But then we Wisconsinites ain't wusses: Hey going gets tough, the tough get going, y'know? (Gotta keep telling myself that)

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-27-2019 03:56 PM

What a nightmare!

I am always curious , since we are told that ,the Arctic has almost melted, glaciers mellted,
Polar Bears are drowning, etc, etc. Just where is this cold air is coming from?

Keep warm and safe Riddick. Be sure and load up on comfort foods, chocolate milk and bacon are always good choices. :D
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Yeah, Like We Didn't Know This Already!

Post by Riddick » 01-27-2019 09:33 PM

-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-27-2019 09:48 PM

Don't know whether this is related to the weather, but I saw this a few weeks back....

Earth’s magnetic pole is on the move, fast. And we don’t know why

Planet Earth is alive. Deep beneath its skin, its life blood — rivers of molten iron — pulse around its core. And this mobile iron is what generates the magnetic field that causes auroras — and keeps us alive.

But, according to the science journal Nature, something strange is going on deep down below.

It’s causing the magnetic North Pole to ‘skitter’ away from Canada, towards Siberia.

“The magnetic pole is moving so quickly that it has forced the world’s geomagnetism experts into a rare move,” Nature reports.

The World Magnetic Model — which governs modern navigation systems — will soon undergo an urgent update.

This model is a vital component of systems ranging from geopositioning systems used to navigate ships through to smartphone trackers and maps.

The current model was expected to be valid until 2020. But the magnetic pole began to shift so quickly, it was realised in 2018 that the model had to be fixed — now.

“They realised that it was so inaccurate that it was about to exceed the acceptable (safe) limit for navigational errors,” Nature reports.

Every year, geophysicists from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the British Geological Survey do a check on how the Earth’s magnetic field is varying.

This is necessary as the liquid iron churning in the Earth’s core does not move in a consistent manner.

“In 2016, for instance, part of the magnetic field temporarily accelerated deep under northern South America and the eastern Pacific Ocean,” Nature reports.

Earth has lines of magnetic force looping from North Pole to South Pole, creating Earth's protective magnetosphere. The straight line coming out of the North and South Poles represents Earth's axis of rotation.

Earth has lines of magnetic force looping from North Pole to South Pole, creating Earth's protective magnetosphere. The straight line coming out of the North and South Poles represents Earth's axis of rotation.Source:Supplied

The movement of the north magnetic pole has been the object of study since 1831. Initially, it was tracked moving into the Arctic Ocean at a rate of about 15km each year. But, since the mid 1990s, it has picked up speed.

“The fact that the pole is going fast makes this region more prone to large errors,” Nature quotes Arnaud Chulliat, a geomagnetist at the University of Colorado Boulder and NOAA, as saying.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/scie ... c6097be9d

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-29-2019 01:36 PM

Hard to say just what, if any , consequences of Magnetic Pole Shifts, have, since it has been going on forever. I think lots people think the entire earth is going to literally flip over, just another thing for the "fear" basket(of which is really getting full).
KARMA RULES

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 02-04-2019 05:27 PM

We have Snow! :cold: Supposed to have maybe 6 inches, temp in the teens. We are a little town of lots of hills, some quite steep. Sooo, lot's of people already stuck, half way up the hills. Fear over rides momentum. Just got back from grocery shopping --- Let it Snow. :D
KARMA RULES

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 02-09-2019 10:05 PM

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 02-23-2019 09:07 PM

-Donald Trump Image

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”