Awwwww....... Crap!!!!!!!

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Awwwww....... Crap!!!!!!!

Post by kbot » 08-16-2015 11:53 AM

Don't want to go through another winter like the last one, but, it appears we're heading that way again folks - Enjoy the summer while it lasts!!!!! :D

Sorry Doka.........

Before the last winter hit, my wife and I were watching the squirrels running all over the place stocking-up -more so than usual, so it'll be interesting to see the activity over the course of the next few months.

Already have trees with leaves changing color, which is strange because it's near 90......

Old Farmer's Almanac predicts snowy winter for Northwest

CONCORD, N.H. - Just as Seattleites were bracing for an especially potent El Nino and a relatively dry, warm winter ahead, along comes the Old Farmer's Almanac with a prediction of super cold with a slew of snow for much of the country - even in places that don't usually see too much of it, like the Pacific Northwest.

The 2016 version of the almanac, due out in the coming week, calls for above-normal snow and below-normal temperatures for much of New England; icy conditions in parts of the South; frigid weather in the Midwest - and some snow in the Northwest.

The snowiest periods in the Pacific Northwest will be in mid-December, early to mid-January and mid- to late February, the almanac predicts.

"Just about everybody who gets snow will have a White Christmas in one capacity or another," editor Janice Stillman said from Dublin, New Hampshire, where the almanac is compiled.

The almanac says there will be above normal-rainfall in the first half of the winter in California, but then that will dry up and the drought is expected to continue. "We don't expect a whole lot of relief," Stillman said.

The weather predictions are based on a secret formula that founder Robert B. Thomas designed in the 1700s using solar cycles, climatology and meteorology.

Meanwhile, the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - which uses much more scientific techniques - is forecasting a 70 percent chance of a warmer-than-normal winter in most of Washington state and a 60 percent chance for the rest of the Pacific Northwest. NOAA also predicts that precipitation is likely to be normal or possibly slightly below normal across the Northwest.

That government forecast is in keeping with observations that the current El Nino could become the strongest one ever recorded by this winter. And a strong El Nino usually brings warmer and drier winter weather to Washington state - although it's no guarantee.

"A big El Nino guarantees nothing," says Mike Halper, deputy director of the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration's Climate Prediction Center.

So, who knows - maybe the Old Farmer's Almanac is onto something.

The 224-year-old almanac, believed to be the oldest continually published periodical in North America, is 26 years older than its closest competitor, "The Farmers' Almanac," published in Maine and due out later in August.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Old- ... 60671.html
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-16-2015 02:14 PM

WELL yaaaa -- these kind of winters run in cycles -- truly do not like saying that, but they do.

SO - watch for sales and stock up in your home. As have said before, does pay to be prepared. AND if don't have the bad winter - you can still consumer the items you have stocked away. (ok food type items) AND it doesn't hurt to have candles either - prefer the ones in glass containers as they last longer.

Also a good time to check on winter gear as well -- you know the stuff you pack away - then forget where! :) Maybe even check on a generator for power outage times - well just in case.

ANYWAY - this oldest almanac has shown to be somewhat more accurate. ((Yes even better than local weather peeps.))

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-17-2015 09:31 AM

Kbot

Oh goody! :) Love the snow part starting in December, that would be a good thing........Last winter you guys seem to get it all , we didn't get but a dusting ,we are on "water watch" now. No rain since May. July the whole month of 100 +temps with humidity running 7-10%. Our winter last year, started with 70* and went to minis 1 or 2 in a matter of hours. Freeze dried, lost a lot of trees.

We just went through a god awful dust storm , high winds , but just a narrow band from west to east, 30 miles north of us blue sky, soft breezes. This morning we have heavy smoke from the fires to the south of us.

So exciting.......:(
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-17-2015 04:23 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why the trees are shedding leaves around here - might be the heat, but I'm still wondering.

Stocking-up is good, no matter what - like you said CK, it'll all get used eventually anyway....... Gives us all a few months to prepare
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 08-23-2015 05:01 AM

I wonder if they know something we dont?

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-19-2015 11:38 AM

WAS a WILD night in KS/MO - storm that produced tornadoes. AND the strangest thing - the tornadoes kept popping up in an almost straight line. First one was in or near a small town in KS - hwy 68 and 169 (junction area). Paola KS and a few other spotters seeing and some getting pictures.

From there it went east across KS and into MO - CASS county - where - Cleveland, Freeman and Harrisonville had mostly minor touchdowns. (Some roof/tree damages reported on news at night.

It all started during our 6pm news and continued on until just after 7:30 pm.

YES, while wasn't hit here - actually in the dusk saw one edge - south of here as it pulled back up into the skies.

In the meantime yesterday got 2+1/4" of rain with some of the rain falling so hard and heavy we could not see road (50ft away) - then just quit raining.

Nothing like stirring up the early evening.

DID have to tie up some pepper plants that got somewhat knocked over (not broken stems - just laying plants partially down). CANNING more today uhuh or getting it ready. FALL on Sept 23 and they say temps in 80s...

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-20-2015 06:27 AM

The one thing from my time living in the Midwest that I certainly don't miss, CK, are the tornadoes. I certainly miss the people I made friends with in Nebraska, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa and Missouri.

Here in Mass, we're heading into full foliage mode with the trees changing colors, some shedding leaves, temps fluctuating wildly, fog rolling-in, squirrels going crazy looking for nuts.

Have become fascinated with a spider right outside my back door. When I take my two miniature dachshunds out every evening, right after sunset, there is a spider that lives in a bell that I have hanging from the underside of my deck. The spider drops down and starts spinning a web between the bell, the corner post of the deck and a set of wind chimes also hanging in the area. It goes-up in minutes. And it stays there all night. When I take the girls out n the morning after the sun is coming-up, the spider's dismantled the web and is seen retreating back inside the bell. Been doing this for over a week now.......

Stay safe CK!!!!!!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-20-2015 10:03 PM

some damages reported but only camping area had a loss of some camping trailer. Cass-Midway school lots bleachers and score board knocked over. Other than that few roofs and some tree damage. All the tornadoes stayed south of here -- closest hit was under 6 miles from here.

What was so wild was the line the tornado hopped in one area up and down in 6 miles almost straight line, second one was a 5 mile area up/down - and also straight line... odd.

had only a tree limb down from somewhere - none from any of our trees. was between our house and neighbor's - and none of their trees had any missing limb... not that long of one - maybe 3 -4ft max.. with leaves.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-21-2015 10:50 AM

We've been seeing crews out preemptively taking down trees ahead of what is anticipated to be another difficult winter.

Glad to hear you're OK

Riddick
Pirate

Record Siberian snow could bode ill for Northeast

Post by Riddick » 11-08-2015 03:13 PM

A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Re: Awwwww....... Crap!!!!!!!

Post by kbot » 11-09-2015 07:12 AM

Nice......... thanks for that Riddick.

We've been enjoying record and near-record warmth - until this morning. Down the 30s. The Old Farmer's Almanac said we'd have another cold winter this year. I need to find a snow rake after last winter.......

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 11-11-2015 12:04 AM

I last heard its gonna be another Mild winter (Like we had several winters ago)

Lets hope its accurate!!

kbot
Pirate

Re: Awwwww....... Crap!!!!!!!

Post by kbot » 11-11-2015 11:55 AM

I think its based on location

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”