Ice Ice Baby

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Ice Ice Baby

Post by voguy » 01-01-2016 04:30 PM

Here's some pictures of broadcast towers which have been impacted by the recent storms.

This is what happens when they get about .75" of ice on the guy wires and members of the tower. This tower eventually shed the ice, and straightened up, but the stress was probably at the limit. A little more ice would have brought it down. I'm also betting that the guy strand was cheap, and the owner never tensioned it correctly.
Attachments
Weather-1.jpg
Weather-1.jpg (24.9 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

voguy
Pirate

Re: Ice Ice Baby

Post by voguy » 01-01-2016 04:33 PM

Another tower which was not so lucky. This was the result of ice plus winds which caused it to twist back and forth until the welds shattered. Again, proper maintenance could have prevented this. You can see the thickness of the ice on the tower and barb-wire in some of the pictures. What happens is the buildup of ice not only adds to weight, but ruins the tower's aerodynamics causing it to oscillate.
Attachments
Tower-3.jpg
Tower-3.jpg (66.64 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
Tower-2.jpg
Tower-2.jpg (97.03 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
Tower-1.jpg
Tower-1.jpg (86.91 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate
Location: SW IN USA-UK Midlands SCANIAowner @ Sound Cloud - @ Supernaturalearth

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 01-03-2016 03:24 AM

Man O man voguy that is wild to view all your crooked and downed tower pics! Ice Ice and more Ice is right! I've never seen results locally like that. Storm Gilbert, is that the right name, was a mean one and the flood's present damage and the southern state's tornadoes are terrible news! :( The death count has risen to 22 in Missouri and Illinois. :( 11 American citizens were killed in the tornadoes!

Fox News was live today in tiny Olive Branch, Illinois and I was through there with Illinois high grade logs many times over 16 years! I recognized the flooded houses and large farm buildings along U.S. 51. In the great Mississippi 1993 floods repeatedly we saw film of a two story farm home explode from bottom to top with a huge twisting effect. Dust flew out of the attic seen in the fly over by a TV news film crew. That home was West of Olive Branch! But this flooding is said to be worse than 1993! :(
[*]@ #2 Find the eerie antedating of 12/7/1941 vs 9/11/01

#1 A

https://youtu.be/DUY8aSx8-yo

#1 B

🌎 🏔 🌏 🗻 🌍 🌋
https://youtu.be/ajRuvYMk30E

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/superna ... -t543.html

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-03-2016 10:44 AM

Mother Nature is a cold hearted bitch. I've seen a lot of weather devastation, and sometimes it's just mind-blowing what winds and water can do. Now that there are more people with cameras it's easy to witness the awesomeness of nature.

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”