Coast to Coast Legacy

George Noory/Guests, Commentary,
Radio topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

DeathValleyScotty
Pirate

Coast to Coast Legacy

Post by DeathValleyScotty » 06-26-2007 11:34 PM

Here's what I feel and a little background is in order for those who may not know. Let the thread go where it may. If I am flamed, so be it.

I've been listening to Art since 1996. He has been with me as I went through divorce, custody issues and remarriage. Unknown by him, I have been there while he went through his public issues. Legal issues, personal issues and other issues that are better left unsaid here. Through those hard times, Art always made the listener feel as if they were part of the show. You didn't have to call the show to feel like you were part of the show. A few of the many things that come to my mind are the Chupacabra parody, JC's first call and so many others.

When I started listening, he was affiliated with CBC (Chancellor Broadcasting Co., Inc.,). During this time, Art seemed like the renegade broadcaster. He had the freedom and the latitude to do anything he wanted to (within FCC reason). You could tell that by the way he carried himself on the air with both Dreamland and Coast. If you can go back and listen to some of those old shows, he brought an excitement to the program. Whether you believed his guest or not, he left the listener with the impression that the guest should be believed. After all, this is radio.

Through all of this, I have noticed a change in Art. The first minor change was when Jacor started running the network. I got the feeling that Art was presented with a new set of marching orders. Art never complained, but he had to loosen things up. He gave his friend Whitley Strieber the Dreamland program. Dreamland lived for a few months, but was dropped by the network after a short while. It still has an internet presence. Yes Art still had the freedom to do as he pleased, but his direction was being managed by the new company (not to be confused with the individuals that have supported Art through all this). This was a minor bump and it lasted only a short time, but then came the big bully on the block, Premier Radio Network Inc., a subsidiary of Clear Channel Communication (again, not to be confused with the individuals that have supported Art through all this). I don't believe Art liked the idea of working for a major corporation, but while the show was successful and it paid the bills, he wouldn't complain. He conformed to the second set of marching orders.

The renegade broadcaster was molded into selling books. While he made the books and authors sound interesting and entertaining, there was something unsaid that was coming down from corporate. Then came the day when he had to pay the price for "burning the pole" as he put it. His back. Given this, the drive from corporate and flat out tired of doing what he loved every day, six days a week, he had to leave for a while. He called it retirement but anyone who loves what they do can’t stay away for long.

Various hosts have been brought in to fill his shoes. Big shoes. Each time, they run with the show for a while, then Art winds up coming back to clean up the mess. Today, the show is in an infomercial state. Art is doing the weekends, but he is certainly not the same as he was 10 years ago. Let's face it, who among us is the same as we were 10 years ago?

If Coast to Coast is to have a legacy; I'd say this. Art Bell and Coast to Coast can take credit (agree or disagree) for the beginnings of wide spread paranormal discussions. While Leonard Nimoy could have done it with "In Search Of" in the late 1970's, Art Bell did it with radio and the internet. Several other paranormal hosts and sites exist today because of Art Bell and Coast to Coast. No one can replace Art. Coast to Coast has only seen caretakers since Art left and the quality of the programming shows. If corporate wants a quality show, they need to start with a quality host. Art can't be expected to do it all the time (as much as we'd like him to).

Comments please...

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 06-27-2007 12:18 AM

Well said....................

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-27-2007 12:30 AM

Don't believe it is possible to ever replace Art Bell. He created the show and was on a quest. He still is on a quest, and should continue with it - on the air - in whatever way he wishes.

As for the weeknights show - they need another authentic person who is on a quest, and to let that person bring what they have. And to give them pretty much free rein.

John B Wells comes to mind.

TPTB are trying to create a formula show. What is lacking is authenticity and the direction that needs to come from a host who can take us on a ride. Maybe that could be a different ride than Art Bell takes us on. In fact, to be authentic, it has to be a different ride. Similar, but unique.

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 06-27-2007 12:39 AM

Authenticity.... can be discerned by the listeners, and as webcasting is making the traditional modality of information obsolete... this genuine quality in a host is the most valued.... John B Wells as Linnea say's is a class act with skill, heart and Authenticity.. Wanna Take a Ride on Mr Wells Harley.... You bet :) :)

Plainsman
Pirate

Post by Plainsman » 06-27-2007 01:20 AM

I could be wrong, but I always got the impression that Art (and Ramona) ran C2C from their desert outpost. C2C used to seem to be sort of "cowboy" radiio, with Art doing his own thing out in the desert with absolutely no input or interference from anyone or anything. The show was always fabulous. I remember the guy who manned the pay phone in the desert; Mel's Hole, Art falling off his porch; the sheriff in Parumph coming to check on him during the show, etc., etc. Stuff that you would never, ever hear on any other "network" program. It was a great vicarious experience. You could lay in bed and listen and feel like you were out in the desert, expericing Art's life and experienes with him. There was no corporate studio to brag about, as George does too often. There's no majic in listening to some guy in a fancy studio doing a radio show. It's no differnt than the Rusty Humphreys show or the Glen Beck show, or any of the others.

Perhaps Art had a lot of help and we didn't know it. However, when George took over, he started braggin about his "prodcuer Tommy" and staff of seven or eight people. It was a shocking change, in my mind. George took C2C corporate with relish, and it showed. It became just another over-produced big-time radio show. The magic of a lone voice coming forth from the desert was gone.

Today, Art has fallen prey to the same thing. I don't know if he's being forced to do so or not. He reads the same news that's on all the myriad of other news sites. So does George. From the outside, it seems that Art is using George's staff or something. Bot shows now have that same corporate feel that's sickening to many of us who remember how it used to be. As far as I'm concerned, both the weekend and weekday shows are completely corporate in nature these days. Art does a much better job than George, but Art's show is still not close to what it once was. The magic is gone.
Last edited by Plainsman on 06-27-2007 01:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.

WestBorder
Pirate

Post by WestBorder » 06-27-2007 01:27 AM

DVS, thank you for your extremely well-written commentary. You said things that I've felt and thought for a long time.

Art's legacy is vast. He filled the hole left by Larry King when Larry fled radio for television in the early 1990's, and brought a whole new dimension (pardon the pun) to talk radio. The sincerity, the insatiable, questing curiosity and the energy that Art brought to each broadcast was infectious and exciting. There was nothing and no one like him in radio and there never will be again.

My wife and I, who have been regular listeners to C2C since 1997, felt and will always feel that Art's battle with his back, while the result of an injury many years before and what ultimately led him to retire from full-time broadcasting, was aggravated by the increasing demands and restrictions the network was placing on him. It may have been Art's subconscious way of rebelling against limitations that were stifling what he always has been, a maverick broadcaster and a true innovator.

John B. Wells and Ian Punnett would be excellent hosts and more than capable of carrying on what Art began back in the early '90's when he changed formats and started asking the real questions, trying to find answers to very real and very important topics that no one else was addressing.

Art Bell will never return to the airwaves in a full-time capacity. He's said as much on more than one occasion. In Wells and Punnett there are two eminently qualified people ready to take up the torch and mantle and continue on. I hope Premier realizes as much.
Anchors Aweigh!

Dynja
Pirate

Post by Dynja » 06-27-2007 04:37 AM

"The magic is gone."

Sums it up perfectly. :(

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 06-27-2007 08:52 AM

DeathValleyScotty excellent post. :)

Dynja the magic is gone during the week but not weekends when Art is on, he is still doing unscreened calls except when a guest is on, but do wish he wouldn't.

I agree Linn and Janus that John B. Wells would be an excellent weekday replacement, he is not Art but would do him proud, at this point we can only hope that TPTB wake up. BTW Janus I am afraid of motorcycles but would take a ride with JBW.

WestBorder, as far as Art coming back to the airwaves full time, never say never.

WestBorder
Pirate

Post by WestBorder » 06-27-2007 10:52 AM

Believe me, Shirley, my sincerest hope is that he would come back full-time. Nothing would please me more.
Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 06-27-2007 01:50 PM

Plainsman wrote: The magic of a lone voice coming forth from the desert ... is gone.
Yep... I have to agree... that pretty much sums it up. :(
Image Anchors Aweigh!

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-27-2007 06:28 PM

The legacy of Coast to Coast should have been organized insurrection against the hegemony of the 'Merikan Empire, at least on the level of the cutting-edge intellect. Instead, it is a record of the progressive acceptance of the hegemony of that Empire.

But take heart... When you and I are buried under tons of glowing rubble, Coast to Coast will be buried with us.
Last edited by joequinn on 06-27-2007 06:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

gpshealy
Pirate

Post by gpshealy » 06-28-2007 01:58 PM

I agree completely with what you said. I've been listening since I was in High School (probably 1995 or so, but then again, at the time I didn't know how important it would become to me, so didn't mark down the date.)

I would add though that part of it has to do with the cultural mileau of the mid to late 1990s. It seemed like the entire culture was more open to probing apocylaptic, paranormal things. By this I mean, look at the major news stories (Y2K, Oklahoma City, Ruby Ridge, Waco) or the television shows on network television (X-Files, Millenium, Dark Skies). I think that our culture has lost something since this time. Wondering about those things in the world that "cannot be measured or fit in a box" and a healthy skepticism of government has been replaced by very dark forces. I am pesimistic about our future as a society. C2C used to give me hope. Now, unfortunately, it is a show whose main host has threatening lawsuits in a purposeful attempt to stiffle online discussion

spaceprophet
Pirate

Post by spaceprophet » 06-28-2007 05:19 PM

gpshealy wrote: C2C used to give me hope. Now, unfortunately, it is a show whose main host has threatening lawsuits in a purposeful attempt to stiffle online discussion
This is no different than any other super giant amalgamated corporation in America today. Just try and piss off McDonalds or Walmart. They'll send an army of lawyers down on your head faster than you can say "Everyday low prices" or ""Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun."
Originally posted by Plainsman
when George took over, he started braggin about his "prodcuer Tommy" and staff of seven or eight people. It was a shocking change, in my mind. George took C2C corporate with relish, and it showed. It became just another over-produced big-time radio show. The magic of a lone voice coming forth from the desert was gone.

This is always the case when you replace maverick individuality with homogenized corporate greed.

They just got lucky when they found a company man like George to drive the boat for them.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. - Jack Handey

Biker
Pirate

Spaceprophet...

Post by Biker » 06-28-2007 07:31 PM

Jesus H. Christ on a Roman Hurt Stick!!
Lately, you've turned your wit-generator waaaayyyy up to 11 (that's 1 more than 10
;) )
Gettin' some chuckles out of me.
Biker:)
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

spaceprophet
Pirate

Post by spaceprophet » 06-29-2007 12:37 AM

Yeah Bike, if one could go back that far in the archives you could see that I and many others have argued against Snoory's appointment as successor to Art Bell from day one.

I wish you could see the battles some of us fought. The wounds we endured in this debate since his inauguration. Now we're (surprise, surprise) finding out that he really has been a corporate hack all along.

Sorry for the anger. It's just a little resentful to see myself and many of my fallen comrades proven right after so much bitter opposition over the years.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. - Jack Handey

Return to “George Noory/C2C AM Topics/Radio topics”