Anyone out there listening in to Noory?

George Noory/Guests, Commentary,
Radio topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

DeathValleyScotty
Pirate

Post by DeathValleyScotty » 10-07-2007 11:05 PM

I know you can't broadcast via ham but when was the last time you listened in on one of his QSLs?
None of us is as smart as ALL of us...

Buttercup
Pirate

Post by Buttercup » 10-08-2007 02:12 AM

No, I don't listen during the week, however, the other night while listening to Whitley Strieber, I experienced an almost supernatural moment of clarity. Not that I hadn't been overcome in the wonder of it before, but why was this fellow hosting Coast to Coast?

Maybe it hit so hard because Art had hosted a show recently, as had John B. Wells. Maybe it was the host's non sequitur launch into his not being able to build a submarine (with instructions) when Mr. Strieber was describing Cargo Cults. And I'm still trying to figure out why the host didn't think the Mayan Civilization had left anything behind (he had heard of it, after all). It's also been a puzzle as to what he might have meant when he asked Mr. Strieber where he'd put the Mayan Civilization.

My father was in radio and he was tough on diction and proper language usage, so I'm hung up on that, but the final straw for me was when the host was doing an ad for a restaurant, referring to breakfasts as "breakfusses". Those ads ran for weeks, astonishingly uncorrected. There's no excuse for that on national radio-- especially a show that touts high ratings. When you're number 1, as is claimed in this case, you're supposed to put some effort behind the project - your best effort. Coast to Coast is worth that.

It's more than too bad that the show has sunk into mediocrity; Coast to Coast doesn't have the host it merits, nor does it, apparently, have the necessary interest production side. What was once a thing of beauty to listen to has become an irritation. I miss Coast to Coast - I miss what it was, I long for what it still could be with a host such as Ian or John B. Wells. Like Art, they don't present Coast to Coast as a kiddie show. They give it the mystery, the wonder, and the depth it inspires. Listeners deserve nothing less, or don't call it Coast to Coast-- call it Quarter to Quarter.

GMJinOK
Pirate

Post by GMJinOK » 10-10-2007 06:46 AM

Buttercup wrote: but the final straw for me was when the host was doing an ad for a restaurant, referring to breakfasts as "breakfusses". Those ads ran for weeks, astonishingly uncorrected.

That's exactly when I hit my limit and quit listening. I was astonished that a grown man, a supposed professional in the industry, and his staff didn't realize how to correctly pronounce such a basic word. That wasn't the first time I'd heard him slaughter basic words, but it just confirmed my assumption that he's not very intelligent, so why waste my time? :rolleyes: There are plenty of paranormal podcasts out there with hosts who do have some intelligence and the ability to hold a lively conversation.

To summarize: Do I listen to Noory? No.

pup
Pirate

Post by pup » 10-10-2007 08:34 AM

marsbase wrote: Hi, Pirates Was more asleep than awake with GN and open lines last night. He is something else.

When he found out this lady had a piano, he insisted she play something.

He still insisted when finding she uses crutches and the piano was quite a distance away. He then criticized her playing.

I could never see Art being so rude or inconsiderate.

Here lately, George is acting like a man who really doesn't like what he is doing and is trying to entertain himself to get through the long hours of a job he drags himself into.

Guests are a distraction to him, callers are too, he just wants to get through another shift and get back to doing whatever it is he does off air.

He has all the enthusiasm and personality of a beat down civil service worker at the DMV. Better suited to sit behind a mike at Taco Bell than a legendary national radio program.

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 10-10-2007 04:39 PM

Live365 wrote: I worry that with Art Bell presumably gone for good this time, George has lost his "edge", the "edge" one gets when they know the competition is ever present and they work that much harder. Without it, George seems to have fallen into the squalor that, even though I've always tried to defend him, I've also always known he was capable of. Alas, this really could be the beginning of the end.

And having said that, this is why I still intend to support the show in as much as I can. Until and unless things become totally ridiculous, I still think a world with substandard C2C is better than a world without C2C at all.

Me and you have a lot in agreement over the time about C2C and I am agreeing with you again. I think the Quiji board night was the moment I reconsidered everything about C2c, it's host, its direction, even its puprose.

After that night, the trust and the willing to give Noory the benefit of the doubt went away from me. I still listen to the show from time to time, but not loyal to it anymore and hardly will listen for the entire 4 hours like I used to.

I also notice a lot of his drive to be different or be do his best seems to be gone since Art left. I know a lot of people don't agree with me but I thought before recent times Noory did have some positivies to go along with his negatives. I liked how he tackled some current conspiracy stories but even that seems to have gone away from him.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-10-2007 06:08 PM

It's not just Noory. Look at the hosts of other popular radio shows as well. Putting aside their repulsive political views for the moment, listen to how Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity present their point of view. Are they any better than Noory? At least, Noory, for all of his witlessness and occasional cattiness, is not a vicious human being like those two are.

I keep saying this constantly, and I get no significant response: "In the Age of Dubya, people who have an interest in parapsychology and ufology are, ipso facto, threats to the national security of the United States." People do not respond to this statement --- which I have made again and again and again --- only secondarily because they do not like to hear what I am saying. They fail to respond to it primarily because they cannot conceive of the matter in the first place in such abstract terms. And this is only tertiarily because they are uneducated; it is only secondarily because they are dumb; it is primarily because they are spiritually coarse, because they exist to amuse themselves to death whenever they are not running some scam on other people.

And this is the listenership of Coast-to-Coast. And not only is this the listenership of the program, but this is the listenership that Prem Rad sought to gain from the start. The elite (and by that noun I include utterly brilliant but hideously evil people in the CIA and NSA) who listened to Art Bell with the most careful attention (and whom Art knew were listening to him) had to be chased away as the very first order of business. By the time of the Phoenix Lights Art Bell was a serious threat to the political stability of this county, which is why Prem Rd purchased the program. But what member of the CIA and the NSA would be assigned to monitor it now, huh? Let's get real about the current situation, huh?

But, of course, this post, like hundreds of others that I have on these topics, is going to be ignored. I understood that long ago and I post accordingly. How did Milton put it? "Fit audience find, though few." My obligation now is strictly and solely to my own kind. They will understand what I say...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 10-10-2007 08:01 PM

OMG wrote: I also notice a lot of his drive to be different or be do his best seems to be gone since Art left. I know a lot of people don't agree with me but I thought before recent times Noory did have some positivies to go along with his negatives. I liked how he tackled some current conspiracy stories but even that seems to have gone away from him.

Agree, OMG, that you and I seem to be of like minds on this matter. At a time when Art Bell did the show as if he were reading his grocery list (and by "that time" I mean latter 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006, and I will defend this statement), George was doing topics relevant to society. Which is why I found myself clikcing on the Noory shows more often.

But now, with the "edge" gone, well. As Pup put it:

"Here lately, George is acting like a man who really doesn't like what he is doing and is trying to entertain himself to get through the long hours of a job he drags himself into. "

The problem, is that the show goes down with it. Trust yer first instinct, is the life lesson I think I learned from this one.

(btw, the reason Rush Limbaugh is Number One is because he remains engaged, enthusiastic and sincere. And unlike other spectacular radio guys I could mention, he's never retired. As far as getting "no significant response", it is my opinion that this enitre thread qualifies as a "significant response". But far be it for me to spar, every now and then.)
Last edited by Live365 on 10-10-2007 08:14 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

zed
Pirate

Post by zed » 10-10-2007 08:31 PM

Originally posted by joequinn
It's not just Noory. Look at the hosts of other popular radio shows as well. Putting aside their repulsive political views for the moment, listen to how Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity present their point of view. Are they any better than Noory? At least, Noory, for all of his witlessness and occasional cattiness, is not a vicious human being like those two are.
The three of them share the element of fantasy, viz:

On one hand you have Noory, the guileless phone attendant of a talk show, the foundation of which was built upon discussion and exploration of fringe (i.e., often phantasmagorical topics). Noory is incapable of swaying anyone's opinion because he rarely has one himself to offer. Still, the guests tend to fit the mixed-fact-and-fiction genre, hence the element of fantasy.

On the other hand you've named two outright fascists who have made their purpose to promote (if not amplify) the propoganda of the current administration and act as their apologists. The fantasy they purvey is a revival of the 'glory' of the WWII mentality, with the sick twist that, rather than unite the American people, they're attempting to divide them by pitting a 6-year-old brand of "conservatism" (what are they trying to "conserve" anyway?) against anyone else who doesn't tow that line, a huge lump of people so-called "liberals".

So one passively and benignly serves up fantasy while the others actively and destructively serve up theirs.
I keep saying this constantly, and I get no significant response: "In the Age of Dubya, people who have an interest in parapsychology and ufology are, ipso facto, threats to the national security of the United States." People do not respond to this statement --- which I have made again and again and again --- only secondarily because they do not like to hear what I am saying.
Maybe you're not getting a response because your premise simply isn't true? I don't see punitive action being taken against some of C2C's more "out there" guests, do you?
They fail to respond to it primarily because they cannot conceive of the matter in the first place in such abstract terms. And this is only tertiarily because they are uneducated; it is only secondarily because they are dumb; it is primarily because they are spiritually coarse, because they exist to amuse themselves to death whenever they are not running some scam on other people.
I would suggest that you shouldn't be painting with such a broad brush of opinion. You aren't alone in understanding how to deal with abstract concepts. Again, perhaps it's your premise that's incorrect.

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 10-10-2007 08:47 PM

I do not like george in a box
I do not like hime with a fox
I do not like george sam i am
Life is short drink good coffee.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 10-10-2007 08:52 PM

Sam i am, I like your rhyme.:D

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-10-2007 09:00 PM

The important point to stress here is that Pem Rad is making it clear --- has been making it clear since January of 2003 --- that either you accept Noory (with all that accepting him implies) or you don't get Coast-to-Coast at all. That's the only choice. That's the only choice that there has ever been. That's the only choice that there is going to be.

If enough people vote with their feet --- if Noory loses, say, another million listeners --- then Prem Rad will pull the show and replace it with, say, infomercials. And if you do not believe this to be true, then you have a seriously defective understanding of late Amerikan corporate capitalism.
Last edited by joequinn on 10-10-2007 09:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 10-10-2007 09:46 PM

QUESTION: Anyone out there listening in to Noory?

I don't anymore.
Not because Art left again.
Not because I don't like Noory's style.
But because I have something far more important to do late at night now.
Sleep.
:D ;)
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 10-11-2007 02:39 PM

I listen if the guest is a good one but then fall asleep usually within a half hour.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 10-11-2007 03:53 PM

In our new Surveillence State of America an "Art Bell" type figure is totally unacceptable to the Management. In the late great mid '90s, Art surveilled the state. His systematic collection, analysis, interpretation, and dissemination of information was very powerful. From time to time he may have even disrupted their damned "black ops". As a blossoming populist hero, he may have been gaining a little too much influence over certain activities, hence the ugly allegations against him, and the violence which entered his life. Looking back, it's hard to imagine he lasted so long.

UFOs? Area51? Lazar? HAARP? Roswell? Wright-Patterson? Abduction? SETI? Animal mutilation? Echelon? Remote viewing? ... Art introduced me (and my generation ) to all of these things, and countless others. He forced his listners (through his engaging radio personality) to focus on places and events - things the Management intended to see pass silently in the dark.

Noory is ready made for - no, he is manufactured by - the New One State, in order that they may now regain control. Noory has the personality of the portrait hanging on the wall in the old mansion, the one with it's eyes cut out. Behind the wall lurks our enemy, using the portrait to spy on our movements - if we're stupid enough to remain in the room.

Do I listen? No, I got up and left the room long ago... and resumed my studies elsewhere.
Last edited by SquidInk on 10-11-2007 04:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Patric
Pirate

The answer is no

Post by Patric » 10-12-2007 11:40 AM

George's show is really hard to listen to, because he runs out of steam after about the second break. The second hour is drudgery, because George has used up any relevant questions in the first half-hour or so.
By the second hour, George usually trots out his favorite "angel" or "devil" questions (which are mostly absurd). This is apparently just to eat up time. It could be any subject, and he will bore/floor the guest with one of his stock angel/devil questions that take no prior thought: ("Mr. Lipton, do you think the devil has anything to do with this suppression of your biological work?").

The first hour is the most telling. George really has no real personality that he wishes to share with the audience. So he labors through the news, and a few phone calls, which makes the hour seem like an hour longer, because it's so unmemorable.

George is self-conscious, and that's really why he's so guarded, and why his questions are so blah and bland and have no REAL personality. (They call talk hosts with this unforunate disorder 'lightweights.') I notice the way George asks questions is designed to make them look sharper and more profound than they really are. He always sounds like he takes a deep breath, and follows through with all sorts of highs and lows in his voice. But since the question itself is so poopy, all that extra effort is obscene.

Return to “George Noory/C2C AM Topics/Radio topics”