What has happened here at FF?

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Foxyred
Pirate

What has happened here at FF?

Post by Foxyred » 11-09-2004 03:14 PM

What is going on here? In all the years of FF I have never seen such hatered, and anger being spewed across all the decks?

I don't post often or even get the time to read anymore having a 2 yrs. old wonderful grandson that has enriched our lives and a new one due at the end of this month. That is what life is all about...FAMILY!!! The up and coming future leaders of our countries that will hopefully bring change from what we have now. I have faith somewhere they will have a world in which to find some kind of harmony in.

Which...FF used to be like. What has happened?

Ben Slain is one of my favorite posters and I cannot beleive the anger coming out towards him even when he trys to lighten things up.

I also see other posters being attacked for having an opinion???? What is up with that?

Being an outsider of late and coming into read all this anger is, well I just cannot find the words. It is quite disheartening to see FF this way.

The whole world seems like it is filled with ANGER!!!!!!!!!! Everywhere you read. What happened to discussions without calling people names? Or jumping down someones throat for a differing point of view no matter how much it differs with an individuals. Freedom of speech?? Freedom of thoughts???

Please don't attack me, I am just asking a question.

Reading here the last few days has really shocked me. It is incredible. :( :rolleyes: :confused:
"Truth is not a fixed set of rules, but a spirit of discovery and a never ending willingness to learn."- Jeff Jawer

Sinner
Pirate

Post by Sinner » 11-09-2004 03:21 PM

You are correct Foxy Red, All this hatred is tough to stomach.
-Sinner

swimmbadd
Pirate

Post by swimmbadd » 11-09-2004 03:45 PM

AMEN.

How's Rev. btw?

I was thinking maybe we could SUSPEND :eek: the P&G forum for a while, but that wouldn't work either as it would just move to another location on the board. Moderating the board heavily would bring accusations to the owners of being fascist nazis.
It's a no win situation.
:(
--Rick--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Foxyred
Pirate

Post by Foxyred » 11-09-2004 03:59 PM

Hi Sinner and Swimmbad.

Rev and Monsterette are doing really well together forever.

Other than that Rick, not sure. I really rarely post anywhere anymore. Have got back into 3D life with hubby, grandchildren and getting into lots of hobbies. Sketching, something I have not done for over 25 yrs. and than had only done it for 2 weeks. Learning scrapbooking, playing with the digital camera, taking long walks along the beach with our 3 dogs. Our youngest daughter (22) is moving out on her own Dec. 1rst. AND NO...no empty nest syndrome here. Laughing!!! :cool:

Just living life, ya know? :D

Hope your doing well too! Shutting down computer now. So take care of yourself.

Foxy {{hugs}}
"Truth is not a fixed set of rules, but a spirit of discovery and a never ending willingness to learn."- Jeff Jawer

Sinner
Pirate

Post by Sinner » 11-09-2004 03:59 PM

Perhaps the FF planked the wrong people, Since the big "Opening of the bilge" I see no change. Going after the source of the problem is always the best policy.
-Sinner

dotcosm
Pirate

Post by dotcosm » 11-09-2004 04:07 PM

What's happening is that some, many, people believe that an injustice of unimaginable magnitude has recently occurred, and some, many people can "see" more than just one or two steps ahead, and some, many people are trying to warn as many people as they can of what has happened and what is to come.

What some, many are fighting for right now, here on American soil and on the Internet, DOES affect Art Bell fans, and any fan of freedom of thought and expression. Are you so naive to believe that the "paranormal" realm of discussion will escape unscathed? If so, you do not understand your enemy.

First they came for the Democrats, and I didn't say anything, because I was not a Democrat... you know the rest of the story, I'm sure. Somewhere down on that list are Art Bell fans (or as you will soon be dubbed "followers of Satan" -- just wait).

So some, many of us see the connection between events of today/last week and the events coming that will affect, yes, even Art Bell and radio hosts like him.

Wake up now, soon it will be too late.

swimmbadd
Pirate

Post by swimmbadd » 11-09-2004 04:10 PM

Sorry to confuse you with monster, it has been a while.
Those long walks sound relaxing, I prescribe it for every one here.
:p
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Thomas Veil
Pirate

Re: What has happened here at FF?

Post by Thomas Veil » 11-09-2004 04:27 PM

Foxyred wrote:

Which...FF used to be like. What has happened?

Ben Slain is one of my favorite posters and I cannot beleive the anger coming out towards him even when he trys to lighten things up.

Well, the political season was quite nasty this year. I've read the politics forum, laughed at some of it and considered some of what was said. Ben and Racehorse have tried to stand up for the Republican side, Cherry Kelley too, and they all got attacked big time by the Democrat side. This went on repeatedly for months.

Heck Ben seems like a decent fellow, and I remember a post he made about betting to stay off the board for a month if he was wrong. Of course, Rombaldi called him on it. So, Ben kept his word and left for a month.

So, for months, these Republican boosters and others took a beating, repeatedly. Most of it is probably archived, but Ben, Racehorse, and Cherry Kelley hung in there through it all. They had to read over and over as the President was referred to in derogartory terms such as Chimp and other names. When others tried to apply the same treatment to the Democrat side, well, let's just say it wasn't pretty what happened.

As somebody who didn't vote for either side, I tried to stay out of it, though it was pretty tempting to say a few things to Rom. I didn't want to get planked for it, for one thing, and I didn't want to sink to his level for another. It's pretty tempting to go there now, but I refuse.

I sense a deep personal hurt that some of these Democrats are feeling, and I'm sorry for that. They seem like pretty good people too. Plus, to tell you the truth, I feel boned either way. I'm happy that Kerry lost, but I'm still stuck with President Bush (Yeah, President Bush, not Chimp or Shrub, but Preident Bush). Millions chose the guy they liked, but I'm sorry to say I bet Millions just picked between the lesser of two evils and will get what they deserve now.

So, back to your point. I see people on the Republican side now taking their victory lap after months of having it thrown at them. Kind of reminds of a football game between heated rivals and what happens afterwards. I would expect that to calm down in the next few days, but not for long. The battle will always continiue.

The neat thing about this forum is the exchange of ideas on such a wide range of topics. There will always be heated debates, and some will turn ugly. Some may get disinvited from the forum for going too far. But, the important thing is that the Fantastic Forum goes on with all of the discussions and great contiubuters that make this place so special.

I, for one, appreciate Ben, Racehorse, Robmbaldi, Iris, Spike Mike, Dale, Boomer, Alien Uk, Civillian, Tiffany, Linnea, Laird, John Lear and ALL of the people who put their thoughts out there for other people to consider. Whoops, can't forget my favorite Pirate and fellow Hoagland Fan, the one and only BadBoy :)

Looks like I wrote an epic here. Sorry about that. Hang in there Foxyred. The sea is a little rough right now, but we've been here before. We will pull through again.
"You can't give up hope because it's hopeless, you've got to hope even more, cover your ears and go blah blah blah blah blah."-Philip J. Fry

shecoda
Pirate

Post by shecoda » 11-09-2004 05:22 PM

Hello Foxyred, a clear cut indication of what has happened here is currently taking place at this thread:

showthread.php?s=&threadid=12330

Unfortunately whenever anyone voices a dissenting opinion for either side they get jumped on. It turns vehement and that is very offputting for many of the less political and nonpolitical members here. I don't have the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if many people have left permanently. I'm sure some will just never be heard from again.

You see it just doesn't stay confined to the P&G it carries over to other parts of the ship. I have thought of leaving, I don't like the negativity that has permeated this forum. What started out to be a fun, thought provoking place built around Art Bell, George Noory and C2C has turned into a political forum, a quagmire that has very little to do with the above mentioned radio show.

No one around here can seem to agree to disagree. Unfortunately none of the belittling is going to change anything. George Bush will still be President, Senator John Kerry will still have lost. It is just going to get worse as people dig in and become entrenched defending their opinions.

shecoda
Pirate

Post by shecoda » 11-09-2004 06:02 PM

Just to finish my thought. I am sure that most of the people who are the most active in this are probably the nicest people except when it comes to politics. The sad thing is for newer members like me I am now afraid to post an opinion on anything for fear of getting jumped on in the most unpleasant way by somebody who now thinks it is ok to voice their dissent by getting ugly and nasty.

I don't know this for sure, but it is my suspicion that rational discussion of any subject where there are differing opinions is now going to be a thing of the past in this forum. The floodgates have been opened to rude and mean behavior and I don't think that will be going away any time soon. This is what I meant when I said it is carrying throughout the ship.

I actually consider much of this behavior abusive. Differing opinions are ok, this is how new ideas are born and compromises are found as solutions. But when dissent degenerates to name calling and foul language, the ideal behind the dissent becomes lost and people only react to the attack. The underlying ideology is lost in the glare of the bad behavior.

The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
Will Rogers (1879 - 1935).

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 11-09-2004 09:49 PM

Sinner wrote: Going after the source of the problem is always the best policy.

I fully support this statement!! ;)

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 11-09-2004 09:56 PM

Hi FoxyRed

... Lots going on these days, some stuff just isn't as outwardly as other stuff. Hey, Art's saying ... "nothing is as it seems" has never been more apropos!!

No worries .. BenSlain is still loved as well as any rash (wink). Folks may have given him some grief over his "salt rubbing" but I'm sure he is still looooooooooooved by the pirate-masses!

Capt. Fantastic is sweeping the decks so I suspect things may get back to "normal" (whatever THAT is) soon. Hoping so, we'll see.

:) Good to see YOU, foxy!!!

Cindy

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 11-09-2004 10:20 PM

I don't have any problem with a difference of opinion. If we all agreed all the time, it would be boring. I'm sure that the Clinton fans took a bashing here for eight years, lest anyone forget. It's the hatefulness I can't stand. It's the attempts to silence opinions with which someone doesn't agree, and the personal attacks that are out of line. I really do think most people are good at heart. It's been a tough year. We're never all going to agree, but I hope things can settle down and folks will be polite.

The Internet is a fabulous resource, when used to its best advantage. We need to establish some good goals as a country, and to work together to achieve them.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Black Tassel
Pirate

Ol' Home Week, eh?

Post by Black Tassel » 11-10-2004 12:36 PM

I haven't had a chance to read the board for a bit, been really busy.......... but I did contribute a few $$'s to help keep the ship afloat...

Foxy, Shootzoo - shur nice ta see ya, eh?

This is a fine vessel and will stay sailing, I'm sure. :D :D

Today's my last day of 'Poppy Duty' at our local supermarket. I do it every year in thanks for the freedom of this great Country, eh Donna ?

Still lurkin'
Brenda
Grobanite Forever

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 11-10-2004 12:43 PM

Woooohooo, what a treat!! Black Tassel AND FoxyRed in the same week :)

Glad to see both of you girls!! Especially during this trying time. I hope it brings comfort to others pirates to hear from a couple of originals!!

:)

Return to “The Brig”