What has happened here at FF?

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

alphacentaura
Pirate

Post by alphacentaura » 11-10-2004 05:36 PM

Originally posted by shecoda
[B........... What started out to be a fun, thought provoking place built around Art Bell, George Noory and C2C has turned into a political forum, a quagmire that has very little to do with the above mentioned radio show.

Yes, shecoda ...I feel what you write....certainly seems so.

Most likely my post will get the response of, well post in the area of your interest, stay away from the P & G. It seems most who were truly here to discuss talk radio and/or the subject of talk radio are abstaining, gone or somewhere in between...or other.

IMHO, FF has been in flux and transition since Art's retirement.

For many of us, this change is not either pallitible or easy...reminds me of a book I used to use in business dealling with "change management" called: "Who Moved my Cheese" ....anway I digress.

My cheese, in this example is not grass root level politics, more specifically grass root American politics, but the paranormal specically relevant to subject and talk radio, although I understand how the subject of American politics is most important, near and dear to many here, with good reason....how it relates in is interwoven in much subject.

Yes, I agree....the FF IMHO has become more than not, a political forum....where 'nothing as it seems' has taken on a somewhat new meaning.

Election times pre and post are volitile....perhaps this is a storm that the FF will ride out and once again sail the seas of paranormal talk radio, well in to the night.

I have enjoyed my journey here and will continue to do so, management permitting: it's been great and I've always considered it a priviledge.

That said though, with predicitve hyperbole ;), I hope the good ship finds it's course, it's meaning and direction and declares what that is....what it's flag represents and what it's flying for....declare it and be done with it.

For many of us, IMHO, the vision and mission of this forum has become unclear, muddy and has been for some time.

Yes, shecoda, I would have to agree that the FF is more of a political forum today, than it is anything else...not that there's anything wrong with that...but there is, IMO in not declaring it so.

The recent treatment of certain long standing members here, with significant contribution in other areas, incomprehensible.

Sorry, Linn, RC, fellow Pirates....just the way I feel FWIW.

Peace and good will to all,

Westward Ho
Pirate

Post by Westward Ho » 11-11-2004 01:09 AM

I've intentionally stayed away from FF for several months because the vibs were becoming rather unpleasant, and I feared that my own posts would become part of that downward spiral of frustration and political animosity. I don't know exactly what happened in my absence, or who walked the plank or has moved on, but I invite people to self-regulate themselves at times, and take a long sabatical if they find themselves becoming something they hate, or find their lives being diminished by participation in FF.

Warning signs:

1. When you go about your normal day outside FF, do you find yourself filled with animosity, anger about someone in FF who you have never met and never will meet face to face? Do such reactions harm your body (immune system) and interactions with 3-D people?
2. Do you find yourself taking on a persona that at times "loses control", a made-up person who uses the forum to vent and say things you'd never say to your friends or people face to face?
3. Do you put off people because you prefer to sit in front of a PC and pontificate or argue with others in a forum?
4. Do you stay up half the night worrying about a post you've made or trying to determine the correct response to another person's post?

I suggest that these are warning signs that you are taking FF far too seriously, that this focus is detrimental to your physical and mental health, and you need to shut down the PC and balance your life in other ways.

Thank God I left this place before the political rancor reached higher levels. I feel like I left a school before some sort of Columbine disaster occurred!

Take care, people.
"I had plenty of pimples as a kid. One day I fell asleep in the library. When I woke up, a blind man was reading my face." Rodney Dangerfield

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 11-11-2004 07:53 AM

Westward Ho wrote: Thank God I left this place before the political rancor reached higher levels. I feel like I left a school before some sort of Columbine disaster occurred!
Did you merely come back to chide us and run away? Or can we count on you to visit us now and again?
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-11-2004 08:09 AM

I was thinking the same thing Dev

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 11-11-2004 10:21 AM

What happened here is we've been swabbin' the Ship. Gettin' cleaner every day! :D
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

Westward Ho
Pirate

Post by Westward Ho » 11-11-2004 11:57 AM

Devastated wrote: Did you merely come back to chide us and run away? Or can we count on you to visit us now and again?

I regret that you took my well intentioned post in this manner. I will participate as time and events allow. I am a full time mother of a 4 and 2 year old. I am expecting a third child in February. My father was diagnosed 2 months ago as having 7 arteries blocked to his heart, and stints are not helping. So I must also do "sentry duty" with my mom (both parents moved to be close to us, since they need a support system now). Now she is having daily bouts of severe IBS (probably from the fear and stress).

FF is NOT my life, but a diversion where I share my thoughts and respect your thoughts. I cannot make it the fulcrum of my human experience, yet I will participate as time and events allow, as I noted in the second sentence.

Thanks for your input.
"I had plenty of pimples as a kid. One day I fell asleep in the library. When I woke up, a blind man was reading my face." Rodney Dangerfield

Foxyred
Pirate

Post by Foxyred » 11-11-2004 03:34 PM

Thanks for you replys everyone. I see alot that is going on around the ship. Thanks for taking my post exactly how it was meant too.

I had been reading and was just totally dismayed with all the name calling to the extreme, short tempers, on the defense replys, banned/planked members(recently). You have to realize, when you do not participate much anymore and mostly read/lurk occasionally, well, sometimes being on the outside you see "comments" and such from a different perspective than everyone involved in the heat of the moment.

BUT.......on the other hand, only reading half the time, don't know the total picture. ;)

I have tons more to say but really this is as far as the Fox wants to get involved. I simply do not have the energy. Too much going on in my own 3D life.

Westward Ho, congrats on your new baby to be in February. :) I cannot wait for our new grandchild at the end of this month. I am sure our daughter cannot wait either. LOL "I want to sleep on my stomach MOM!!!!" LOL

Everybody take care, life is to short and you have no idea when it will be taken from under you. *Poof* Watch out for our future generation.

{{P.S....someone offered bubble baths on another thread....:D Can I exchange pretty boy for Sam Elliot?}} Laughing.
"Truth is not a fixed set of rules, but a spirit of discovery and a never ending willingness to learn."- Jeff Jawer

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 11-11-2004 03:53 PM

Foxyred wrote: Everybody take care, life is to short and you have no idea when it will be taken from under you. *Poof* Watch out for our future generation.
So true.
Foxyred wrote: {{P.S....someone offered bubble baths on another thread....:D Can I exchange pretty boy for Sam Elliot?}} Laughing.
Yes, an exchange for me as well, pretty boy for Sean Connery. :D

Foxyred
Pirate

Post by Foxyred » 11-11-2004 04:10 PM

Mudwoman posted:
Yes, an exchange for me as well, pretty boy for Sean Connery. :D
YES!!! :D :D
"Truth is not a fixed set of rules, but a spirit of discovery and a never ending willingness to learn."- Jeff Jawer

Faedrea
Pirate

Post by Faedrea » 11-11-2004 04:10 PM

Westward Ho! Very glad to see you here, welcome back. Congrats on the baby :)

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 11-11-2004 06:41 PM

West, My families thoughts and pryer's are being sent to your mom.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 11-11-2004 07:13 PM

Hi Westward, welcome back

The P&G has been a lil heated yes indeed. But so has this year's election. I think it is fine that we can really get our feelings out. There have been many good conversations, lots of infomative information and yes some trouble makers. But all in all we are still the same Pirates. We will survive the P&G and go on to the other threads as things subside. There is the radio threads also of course that is what the ship was founded on but then again we have many other threads that have nothing to do with the radio.

CherryK has a wonderful apple pie recipe in the Garden thread.
And old65 has some great and funny jokes. Pick your threads to your liking.

And my answer to your questions are all no's.

Happy new baby too.;)

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 11-11-2004 07:58 PM

BenSlain wrote: West, My families thoughts and pryer's are being sent to your mom.

See? This is why his rear-end (and the rest of him) is loved on this ship ... he's a tough-talking, rough n tumble cop, and also a mushy pl' sweetheart at his very core. ((((((Ben)))))))

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 11-12-2004 07:49 AM

Hi, Ho!!

Best wishes with your situations. Good luck to your dad with his heart, and happy baby! I have always enjoyed your posts, so I'm glad you'll be around.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

LisaA
Pirate

I lurk

Post by LisaA » 11-16-2004 07:20 PM

I stopped coming here because to me this place is more than opinons--it's a place where friends meet. I felt it becoming a place of enemies and hatred, and I include myself in that. I guess I don't know how to just volley opinions back and forth. It hurts when people tell me I'm a...whatever... and condescend and...bite.

Return to “The Brig”