Help! Spider bite.

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Iris
Pirate

Help! Spider bite.

Post by Iris » 05-10-2005 01:01 AM

I'm allergic to all sorts of insect bites and stings. I got a spider bite (who knows how) just above my knee and it's quite hot, swollen and itchy. I mean over about a 6" radius (common reaction for me).

I packed it in wet flax seeds, which is generally my first line of defense, and that helped some. But it's still pretty bad. (No I will NOT go to a doctor over this, but have gone when my breathing has been affected). I also took a Benadryl, a couple of Ibuprofen, and did some Arnica under my tongue.

How do you all deal with insect stings and bites? Got any tips? I could sure use them right now, and I'm sure more times as the year progresses. TIA!
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

seattlegal
Pirate

Post by seattlegal » 05-10-2005 01:08 AM

I've heard that meat tenderizer can be helpful. (The ones made with papain, an enzyme from unripe papaya.) I hope it's not from a brown recluse--those bites can be extremely nasty!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 05-10-2005 01:28 AM

Thanks, Seattlegirl. I remember hearing that about the meat tenderizer. I should go look to see if I have any.

I doubt sincerely it was a brown recluse, although we do have them up here. This is just me and spider bites in general. I think my son has feared for years that I'd die of a spider bite. I'm reasonably sure that if a b.r. ever gets me I'll be in huge trouble within mere minutes and will high-tail it to the E.R.

I have made a deal with spiders; as long as they stay outside, I leave them alone (except I knock their webs off the deck and from around the front door). But if they're inside or on me, they're DEAD MEAT! It's self defense on my part. Unfortunately, they often don't keep their part of the bargain.

Anyone else have any remedies?
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 05-10-2005 01:48 AM

Poor baby! This is not your day! :(

You did the same things I would have done, and have recommended to patients.

Also, to reduce the swelling pain, itching and burning, use ice. Do no apply it directly to your skin, as it can actually cause damage to you skin, even frostbite, if used for an extended period of time. Put some ice cubes in an old sock, or wrap in a wash cloth, and apply to the affected area. If you must walk around, and wish to continue using the ice pack, you can cut the toe out of an old sock, slide it to cover the area of the bit, and tuck your wrapped ice pack under the sock. You don't want it so tight it impedes the blood flow.

{{{{IRIS}}}}

:(

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-10-2005 02:17 AM

So sorry Iris, spiders can be nasty...black widow? I'm sure you know this but if you see a red line going somewhere up your leg from the bite area seek medical attention right away..right Sandy?

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 05-10-2005 02:45 AM

Thank you, Sandy. I'll ice it. I had a friend who really did get frostbite by icing an injury. They say 10 mins on and 10 mins off -- would you agree? And honestly, any day that I finish the first mowing of the "back 40" it's a good day. :)

I did read one thing on the 'net in the meantime. It said Oil of Peppermint is good for insect bites and stings. I happened to have and used some and it did cut the itching. Yippee!

Thanks, Tiff. Yeah, I will keep an eye on it, promise. But please don't worry. It's just a nuisance is all. Stuff happens.

One thing I've learned is to get the poison drawn out of these things asap. Otherwise, with me anyway, they can itch off and on for a month or more.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 05-10-2005 02:56 AM

The most serious acute complication of insect bite is an anaphylactic (severe allergic) reaction, and it requires immediate medical intervention. A run to the emergency room is critical if you have difficulty breathing, itxhing, rash or hives over your body, swelling of the face or tongue, or feel weak or faint, following an insect bite or sting. Many people with known sever allergic reactions to insect bites have on hand injectable epinephrine, like an Epi Pen (my son is always so armed).

Other reactions, like redness, spreading from the bite site, are usually cause by infection, and occurs a day ot two after the bite. An infection can be either treated with antibiotics, or alternative medicine.

Another situation is poisoning. If you are bitten by a brown recluse, or black widow, and assuming you don't have an allergic reaction, you will usually feel weak, sweaty, or have nausea or vomiting. There are a lot of variables (age, health, where the bit occurred etc.), but it is good to see a doctor. Some patients I have had needed to be hospitalized, and needed IV fluid replacement, others were able to go home.

fabzilla
Pirate

Post by fabzilla » 05-10-2005 04:29 AM

Ouch!

I use a wetted mix of baking soda and a pinch of red man. The old nonna recipe for such. :D

Also use moth balls around the perimeter of our basement to help keep them out of the house, it works fairly well. And of course I treat my lawn especially under my decks.

Bug bites are no fun.

fab
Ah drrr drrr drrr

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-10-2005 06:05 AM

Iris...sorry about the bug bite...the only thing that has ever worked for me is baking soda on the bite, as Fab says. Something my grandmother told me and have always used.

Keep an eye on it my friend ...:)

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 05-10-2005 06:54 AM

Homeopathic apis miel. Potency 30. But this should have been done immediately.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

deeremom
Pirate

Post by deeremom » 05-10-2005 07:31 AM

"Fire Ant Sting Relief" after-sting gel, made by Tender, has worked great for me. Stops the itching, swelling and allergic "whole body" reaction if used quickly. Works for mosquitos, ants, wasps -- not sure about spiders.

Active ingredient -- Ammonia :)

If you don't catch it quickly enough, benadryl and ice paks.
Last edited by deeremom on 05-10-2005 07:34 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

from the better-late-than-never dept ...

Post by Jon-Marcus » 05-10-2005 08:29 AM

I don't know much about spider bites, but for wasp/yellowjacket stings I just use ice. when no ice is available I use wetted tobacco, sence I always have THAT with me. :)

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 05-10-2005 10:03 AM

So Sorry for the bite.....
For Chucks bite last week I got that jell Hand Alcohol and put some tree oil in it and with in 2 hours the swelling was way down. And the next day the bite was not even visible.....hope it works for ya...
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

moonchild2
Pirate

Post by moonchild2 » 05-10-2005 02:43 PM

This is so weird as my grandson and I were bitten by a spider a couple of weeks ago. I received about 5 bites and he had 3. At first I thought they were flee bites from our pets but after careful checking of the animals I found that they were not infested. The bite is very different as it leaves a lump over a much bigger area and is extremely itchy. I still have the lumps 2 weeks later. I have never before been bitten by a spider but it's the only thing that I can think of that "got us" considering where we live. This is indeed creepy! Pardon the pun!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 05-10-2005 05:14 PM

Thanks for the rundown on spider bites, Sandy . That was good and pretty much covers it. I do seem to turn red and swell not as a matter of infection, but just as allergy reaction. I know I'm allergic to them because I've had to go to the hospital with bites before, with breathing difficulties, and Pred sure helped. I know Pred would help with this one, but I try to avoid it if I possibly can.

Fab[/], red man? You mean tobacco? I think the moth balls would be poison to my pets. But I do need to get out there with some diatomaceous earth. I usually surround the house perimeter with that, about 1' out. That definitely helps, and isn't toxic.

Thanks, Linda. I can't believe I didn't even remember the baking soda!

Dev, yes the Apis Melifica! I used to have some. I need to pick up some more. Thanks for that reminder.

Deeremom, I've never heard of that product, but it sounds good. I do always have ammonia on hand, though. Probably because I hate the smell so much -- I bought it but don't use it. lol!

Jon-Marcus, yes, tobacco is said to work. Ice is always good, and I think I'm going to use it again today.

Turtle, I don't have any gel hand alcohol stuff. Good, huh? I did put some tea tree oil on it before bed. Seemed to help hold down the itching so I could sleep, at least. But it isn't better right now than it was when I went to bed. It's driivng me nuts and I'm trying not to itch it. Guess I'll put more on.

Moonchild, I'm sorry you were bitten, and especially your grandbaby. I hope yours will disappear soon!

Everyone, thanks! I hope this thread will help others, too, and I know if I'm bitten again (and knowing me, I will be) I'm going to refer back to it. In the meantime, it looks like there are a few things we can all pick up at the store to be ready for the next bite.

For fleas, I do find that diatomaceous earth is a great remedy for being/staying rid of them. Get it at a plant nursery, not the swimming pool kind -- the latter does contain some toxins. You can also use 20-Mule Team Borax inside. The trick is to sprinkle it on all your carpets after every vacuuming. Walking around on the carpets pounds it into the carpet backing. Both products kill fleas, spiders, etc., and are non-toxic. Just don't breathe them while they're airborne is all. I also use the DE on my flowers if they get aphids. I don't sprinkle it all over the yard unless it's an emergency flea infestation, as it probably kills good bugs too, like ladybugs and earthworms. Also, Frontline is good directly on your pets.

For flying insect infestations, like seed/pantry moths, and fruit flies, a vacuum is your best ally. You can suck the little varmints right out of the air. I have a little shop vac I use for that. Instant gratification! Plus I've never had them fly back out. They get messed up on the trip in, I guess.

Ugh -- itching!!! I'm diving for the ice again.

Return to “The Brig”