Best places to live

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Best places to live

Post by CindyLouWho » 07-10-2003 07:10 AM

CNN money magazine voted these 10 cities the best places to live in the US.

Austin
Charlotte
Chicago
Denver
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Los Angeles
New York
San Francisco
Seattle

And they voted these 8 cities, the best places to retire in N. America.

Franklin, Tn
Bellingham, Wa
Portsmouth, NH
Largo, Fl
St. George, Ut (utah? wtf? might as well have listed WV, hehe)
Ann Arbor, Mi
Savannah, Ga (agree w/ this one ... awesome place)
La Paz, Mexico

How oh HOW did Maui get left of this list? (You can purchase a 1 bedroom condo OCEANFRONT in Maui for a quarter million dollars, thats CHEAP for Hawaii .... no billboards, no litter, no high-rises ... beautiful!) Perfect place to retire ...

Which brings me to my next random thought and question...

Lots of people around here (and other places I'm sure) refer to the West Virginia mountains as "God's Country". I don't have a problem with that, but I always feel "most spiritual" when I'm near the shore of any ocean. Don't know why, but thought it was interesting enough to mention.

Sooooooo...whats YOUR favorite place? In what location do you feel most spiritual?? Or does location matter to you? It certainly doesn't change who you are, but .... no actually thats not true for me, I feel much more at peace and centered when I'm near the ocean. And I'm a Capricorn ... is this normal?

Criminy, I'm awfully rambly for this early in the AM.
Last edited by CindyLouWho on 07-10-2003 07:13 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-10-2003 11:01 AM

Home is where the heart is -- me Iprefer living in the country! Unfortunately the city keeps encroaching -- as farmlands are sold off and culdesacs with houses spring up ... yuck!

COL -- location location location. Why would those cities be top 10? the COL is ridiculous!!

Besides - retire? ha - who can afford to do so these days?

OH ya the oceanside is nice to visit. THink I'd prefer to have two retirement places - one for winter, one for summer.

tiffany
Pirate

Cindypants

Post by tiffany » 07-10-2003 11:19 AM

Yosemite National Park sitting in a meadow by yourself is magical. You actually feel the energy there it is very spiritual.:)

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Very cool!

Post by CindyLouWho » 07-10-2003 01:31 PM

I've never been to Yosemite as an adult (when I began to understand spiritual energy), Tiffany. But after that description, I do believe I need to hurry there!!

:)

tiffany
Pirate

Cindypants

Post by tiffany » 07-10-2003 01:44 PM

I'm an hour away give me a post if you really are coming sometime.;)

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 07-11-2003 02:45 AM

Where ever I am can be a good place if I am centered.

But all I need is:

A dry place to sleep (Now if I could get that dang hatch to stop leaking! I've put more time into that puzzle than I care to think about.)

A warm fire

A couple of cats

Quiet nights

Bunches of books

A garden

Some woods to roam in

A couple of PCs - I have 3 (2 currently in use) and feel like a pig

Running water (I have that in my little sink but go next door to use the bathroom and shower)

Oh, yes, a refrigerator. I finally got one. Doesn't fit in the boat so it's outside but it sure is nice to be able to grab a cold beer!

I consider myself very, very fortunate. :D

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-11-2003 11:17 AM

Ah yes the conveniences of home, yet in an out of the way place.

I can sit on my back porch - deck, look across to the neighbor's pond and watch the geese come in to feed - well when the idiots aren't out chasing them away...

There is nothing like sitting on the beach watching the sun sizzle as it sets....

I'd prefer an ice cold marguerita (not into beer scene). Warm breezes and maybe some soft music in the distance.

BUT its also nice to sit in my own livingroom lounger with a decent movie - some peace and quiet!

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 07-11-2003 01:35 PM

Hey CK, I bring the DVDs and you can supply the ice cold margaritas.

PS: Don't forget the geese! I hear they like movies too! :D

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-11-2003 11:58 PM

It's funny, but when we're driving along winding mountain roads, with the mountain sides on both sides of the road, I feel like Mama Earth is hugging me!
Does that sound silly?
Not silly at all, maryals! I understand completely (and also think it's true)! I'm a mountain person, too... a hill person... a forest person... I love being in forested mountains, or green, green hill country. Mmmmmm I love northern CA, but the valley is just not GREEN enough... have to go to the foothills or the mountains to find that...
Image Anchors Aweigh!

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 07-12-2003 07:09 PM

maryals wrote: Even though I'm Cancer the Crab, The Moon and Water, I am most comfortable around and near Mountains. In fact I love mountains. I have always fantasized about living way up on a mountain top, like Heidi!
OK, that mountain top home must have a creek or stream, maybe a small lake nearby.
It's funny, but when we're driving along winding mountain roads, with the mountain sides on both sides of the road, I feel like Mama Earth is hugging me!
Does that sound silly?

Absolutely NOT, Maryals. I know exactly what you're speaking of. I feel the same way about the ocean ... its so beautiful & powerful at the same time .... an awesome marriage of masculinity & femininity ..... I feel at home there.

The area I live in is called the Kanawha Valley, much of the interstate has been cut directly out of the side of the mountains ... I love my drive to work, its gorgeous ... especially in winter when 30 foot icicles hang all around you. I noticed a few years ago, that I was taking this beauty for granted. Now when I drive to work, I try to remember to thank God for my surroundings. (He/She is an AWESOME artist, no?)

... when winter rolls around, I'll take a few photos to share with you. I'm having a good time, imagining you, Maryals, living on top of a lovely mountain w/ free flowing creek, in your foxy red dress & dance shoes! hehe ;)

Love & Peace to all!

jeri sexton
Pirate

Post by jeri sexton » 07-12-2003 11:37 PM

Well San Diego has alot to offer as far as the ocean beaches and the mountains and the desert to the east.. All within an hours drive in any direction..
And the weather is great !

As far as living here.. It's just fine, but i'ed sure like to travel around in an R.V. and see all the rest of the nation..

For now my own backyard suits me just fine..
YOUR EMAIL BOUCES PLEASE FIX IT or DO NOT subscribe to email notices.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-13-2003 11:44 AM

mudwoman -- might be difficult to play DVDs while sitting on back deck :)

maryals -- another cancer WOW we got a lot of us around here! (7/15 for me) Yes I love forests and lakes and peace and quiet - not too thrilled with mountains though -- too hard to cook stuff! BUT a nice valley nestled between mountains would be great!

There is beauty to find everywhere - even in the trash piles of society. Cities are nice to visit when needed, but I do prefer living in the country.

The best place to live -- is where each individual prefers - where each is comfortable. For some its in the city, for others its in the country. Home is where your heart is - - and while we all would probably enjoy vacationing elsewhere - its that welcome of HOME that we love the most.

NeelyGirl
Pirate

Post by NeelyGirl » 06-28-2004 11:56 AM

This is an extention from the original post from Ms. CindyLouWho:

Top Five Most Stressful Cities
Tacoma, WA

Tacoma residents contend with one of the highest divorce rates in the country as well as one of the highest unemployment rates. It's cloudy in Tacoma much of the time, and the suicide and property crime rates are high. On a brighter note, Tacomans can feel safe from bodily harm thanks to the low violent crime rate.

Miami, FL

Miami has the highest violent crime rate in our study as well as one of the highest property crime rates. Making Miami even more stressful is the long commute time, a high unemployment rate, and a high rate of divorce. Despite these factors, Miami residents manage to maintain a positive mental attitude.

New Orleans

Maybe New Orleans should be nicknamed The Big Un -Easy, due to a high violent crime rate and a high unemployment rate. There's also a significant number of suicides and divorces.

Las Vegas, NV

The turbulent lifestyle of Las Vegas produces some extremely stressful conditions-- the highest suicide and divorce rates in our study, as well as a great deal of alcohol use. Unfortunately, the greatest number of sunny days per year doesn't seem to translate to overall happiness-- residents of Las Vegas have a great number of days experiencing poor mental health.

New York, NY

Beginning and ending their days with the longest commute in the country, the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple can really stress people out. Unemployment is high and so is violent crime, which may explain why New Yorkers spend many of their days experiencing stress, depression, and problems with emotions. But New Yorkers are not quitters - the suicide and divorce rates are some of the lowest.

Top Five Least Stressful Cities
Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY and Harrisburg-Lebanon-Carlisle, PA
These hardworking state capitals and their surrounding areas boast two of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. In fact, both areas score well in many categories- low divorce rates, short average commute times, a low overall crime rate, and low rates of suicide. One downside to these northeastern cities is their often-cloudy skies and dreary winters

Orange County, CA

Life really goes smoothly in "the O.C."- little crime, low unemployment, and a whole lot of sunshine. The commute can take awhile, but Orange County residents seem to be able to handle it. And their suicide rate is one of the lowest.

Nassau-Suffolk, NY

Although residents of Nassau and Suffolk counties have a very long commute, the area has the lowest violent and property crime rates in the country. The divorce and suicide rates are also among the lowest in the country, indicating a safe and stable place to live.

Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

The Twin Cities have a low unemployment rate and a low violent crime rate. Despite many cloudy days, the suicide rate is low and the stress scores are generally favorable across the board.

INTERESTING CITIES FOR DATING

Best Cities to for Dating
Austin, TX
Colorado Springs, CO
San Diego, CA
Raleigh/Durham, NC
Seattle, WA
Charleston, SC
Norfolk, VA
Ann Arbor, MI
Springfield, MA
Honolulu, HI

Worst Cities for Dating
Kansas City, MO
Wichita, KS
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Detroit, MI
Louisville, KY
Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC
Atlanta, GA
Pittsburgh, PA
Houston, TX
Charlotte, NC

LINK
Wiggle your big toe.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

thx girl

Post by Dale O Sea » 06-28-2004 01:44 PM

Either you've been reading back into some recent FF history or you searched and found an apt thread for your post. Either one is very cool with me. Reading this thread from the past I think "What a positivly harmonious bunch of pirates we can be.." Thanks for this reminder Neely. Intentional or not it brightened my afternoon.. Oh, your little cities article was interesting too...:)
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

NeelyGirl
Pirate

Post by NeelyGirl » 06-28-2004 03:01 PM

Thanks Dale!! I love to make people smile...and I am a nosey person by nature..so yes I've been looking at pirates pasts posts<say that three times really fast!!> I stated in another thread I like "people watching"...people and their behavior and thinking fascinates me. I'd love to do a book like the guy on CBS where he picks names out of the phonebook...and listens to them..they often think they don't have anything interesting to tell..but WE all have a story. I'd love to do that one day...

:D NG
Wiggle your big toe.

Return to “The Brig”