A new direction at 48

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

A new direction at 48

Post by Jon-Marcus » 03-01-2010 02:46 PM

Every now and then we, or at least I, need a change of pace.
I turned 48 last month. I'm reaching the point where, as Captain Picard said; There are more days behind me that there are in front.
After 20 + years as a Private Security Officer, a profession I enjoy, there's just no challenge in it anymore. I've grown bored, and my present position isn't exactly what I call security. It's more public relations/ babysitter. I refer to it often as the PSO retirement home. But in Private security there is NO retirement.
So after giving it a lot of thought and balancing the pros and cons ( there's a pun in there), I've decided on a career change.
8 months ago I applied and tested for a position as a Correctional Officer for the state of Texas, better known as a prison guard.
Off my meds? No, I was never on meds. Crazy? Maybe so. Yes, I'll have to deal with hardened criminals on a daily basis. Oh, I'm sorry. Detainees is the proper PC term these days. But, on the plus side I'll have state benefits , insurance, and I can retire after 10 or 15 years.
The really odd thing is; I said for years that I'd never be a Police Officer or a prison guard. Times change. Reality is a pain and I have to think about mine and my family's future.
And I do love a challenge. So, Wednesday a new chapter in my life begins as I attend the Texas Correctional Officer Academy.
Last edited by Jon-Marcus on 03-01-2010 02:48 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-01-2010 02:54 PM

Jon, wishing you the best of luck in this new chapter of your life. Stay safe, you are not going to be doing a easy or safe job, but you will be just fine :)

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 03-01-2010 02:55 PM

Hi Jon-Marcus. :)

I wish you the very best in your new career. I am sure you will find it both interesting and challenging. I hope above all else you will be extremely careful and take great care. Stay safe, my friend.
racehorse

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 03-01-2010 03:01 PM

Thank you, dear Lady and Sir. Rest assured, the eyes in the back of my head are reopening. I do have several advantages going for me. The 20 years I mentioned. Several family members who have been or are correctional officers. Plus I know the inmates ( oh how un-PC of me. Must watch that.) will screw me over if I let my guard down. So, yeah, I will be careful. :)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-01-2010 03:16 PM

J-M, I understand the shifting of gears at that age. It happened to me, too. May you find that which you seek. Best of luck to you in all your endeavors. Stay safe and enjoy your life! (That is so important, the enjoyment.)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 03-01-2010 07:08 PM

Jon Marcus, how thrilling. In a previous life as a health inspector (isn't it funny how "they" tell us we're washed up if we haven't figured it out by thirty, yet in our 40's and 50's we're still changing careers?!), I inspected the kitchen of the county prison, and it was almost...dare I say an almost a family-environment in ways. The ladies in the kitchen knew the ladies in Pod 6 liked the fruit cups, so they would make sure they got double portions. Then the ladies in Pod 6 would send thank you notes to the ladies in the kitchen. Stuff like that. I don't know; this is Iowa, after all. But I always since wondered if prisons were really the hell-holes they're made out to be. You might be suprised.

Godspeed on your new life venture.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 03-01-2010 07:26 PM

Good for you, and best of luck, Jon-Marcus. I can definitely understand the desire for benefits and retirement security. Welcome to the next chapter in your life!
Anchors Aweigh

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-01-2010 11:33 PM

Congratulations on your new Corrections Officer career, Jon-Marcus!

They need more like you. Your positive energy will make a difference, I'm sure - in combating the cynical influences you will also find in that line of work.

Also, I think you will prosper in the shared responsibility and pride that comes with doing a great job as a state civil servant.
;)

Good move!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-02-2010 09:36 AM

Jon -- best to you on the career change.

Son was a 'jail guard' so ok PC terms correction officer, and went back to college to obtain more education in that area. He is now in security. (reverse of your job change)

Will you be required to obtain higher education degrees? or courses?

Just wishing you the best and stay safe!

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 03-13-2010 01:41 PM

Home for the weekend.
First full week of the Academy completed with a test score of 92 %. Four weeks to go.
The in-flow of knowledge sometimes can be overwhelming. Our lesson plan book is about 6 inches thick. Of course, no one expects us to retain all information.
So many thing to learn, from TDCJ history to self defense tactics to physical training.
Whew!
Several times this week I fond myself thinking, especially during the twice a week Defensive Training; "I volunteered for this? What the Hell was I thinking?" Well, I wanted a challenge. I got it. And the physical benefits far outweigh the sore muscles. I'm already stronger and more flexible than I've been in 20 years. Thank God for Icy Hot. :D

Seventeen years from now I can retire with full benefits.

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 03-17-2010 06:10 PM

... or transfer to TCSO (Travis County Sheriff's Office). ;)

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 03-19-2010 07:58 PM

cherry wrote: ... or transfer to TCSO (Travis County Sheriff's Office). ;)

I kinda doubt it, but it's worth considering. :)

Second week done. Test score; 98 %.
Muscles aren't as sore, and today we went through a CS gassing. That wasn't fun, but not as bad as I expected.
This past Monday and Tuesday we assisted in shake-down inspections on two units. Lady Linnea, you are correct about the "cynical influences". I got a look at some of it then. Officers doing inspection ran the gamut from overly hard-nosed to complete indifference. Seems like if I only half-ass on inspections I'll be better than most. But Half-ass isn't my way of doing things, so they'll at least have one Officer who does his job ... the right way.

Three more weeks.
Still hanging in there.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-19-2010 08:17 PM

Jon Marcus, I am very happy for you !

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-20-2010 05:04 AM

Congrats, Jon-Marcus! Sounds like you are doing great, and I hope you will earn some recognition and be given some choices in the areas where you will be working. Hope you get placed with some of the inmates who are shorter-timers and would benefit from training and motivation.

Keep us posted.

:cool:

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 03-20-2010 07:56 AM

cherry wrote: ... or transfer to TCSO (Travis County Sheriff's Office). ;)

Our TCSO rocks! Congrats on the new adventure in life. My days in Austin are drawing to a close. Like you I made a life altering decision to make a change. In another month or so I will relocate back to Phoenix Az. I love Austin but am semi-retiring and need to make this change for financial reasons. All the best to you!!!
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

Return to “The Brig”