A Super Bowl WITHOUT Cheerleaders? Ay Caramba!

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

A Super Bowl WITHOUT Cheerleaders? Ay Caramba!

Post by Riddick » 02-05-2011 12:28 PM

This is it, mark your calendars folks: Sunday, February 6th, 2011 -
It's the END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT
SB To Be Sans Sultry Success Shouters on Sidelines

Excerpted from telegraph.co.uk:

More than 100 million people are expected to watch the final showdown of the American Football season on Sunday, but there will be no pom poms, no chants and no fancy flips to keep fans entertained.

This year's game is between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Green Bay Packers, among the small number of teams that do not have professional cheerleading squads.

Sports fans across America have reacted with dismay to the absence of sideline entertainment and there have even been fears it will affect television ratings.

The event is taking place in Dallas, where members of the renowned Dallas Cowboys cheerleading squad have offered to step into the breach.

But they have been banned from the stadium because they are not affiliated with either of the teams taking part, and they will have to perform outside.

Both Pittsburgh and Green Bay used to have cheerleading squads, but they have mostly "blue collar" fan bases that have rejected the razzmatazz that goes along with cheerleading.
A spokesman for the National Football League said cheerleading does "enhance the overall game day experience" for fans, but the organisation refused to let the Dallas Cowboys squad appear instead.

Defiant Cowboys cheerleader Carey DePasquale said: "The NFL just won't let us. They've covered up every star, every Dallas Cowboys logo, so we'll be performing outside before the game."

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-05-2011 04:54 PM

Well Riddick, this may surprise you, but I think 'cheerleaders' do nothing to enhance the game... so good! :D

But what can we expect from a league which had already seen it's best days by 1983? Back then, the cheerleaders were legit, and the game of football was a blue collar sport - it symbolized how hard work and endurance could pay off.

So I say kick out the cheerleaders, disband the league, and let the true game of football - America's Game - be played once again, behind the steel mills and meat packing plants all over this nation!

Wait... first, let's get some steel mills and meat packing plants... then... let the true game of football - America's Game - be played once again, behind the steel mills and meat packing plants all over this nation! The best part time job in the country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQzlBL-2TU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVkcZ0P7 ... re=related
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 02-05-2011 06:04 PM

Originally posted by SquidInk

let the true game of football - America's Game -

Hi Riddick :)

Hi Squidink :)

The Super Bowl and Football, Who Cares?

Not Me!

Horse racing is the Sport of Kings and the best of all sports :) (Apologies to U of L and UK Basketball fans, like me in theory ;), but the truth is the truth) still:

Baseball is America's game and pasttime, and rightfully so. ;)

There are only two truly "America's teams", the St. Louis Cardinals and the Cincinnati Reds (in that order and both National League. :cool: :D )
Last edited by racehorse on 02-05-2011 07:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.
racehorse

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-05-2011 08:05 PM

Hiya Race...

:D :D

I disagree that baseball is still the national past-time, but I will admit the baseball players' mentality more perfectly reflects that of the nation.
Last edited by SquidInk on 02-05-2011 08:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 02-06-2011 11:38 AM

I admit that football has lost a lot of appeal for me, although I still am a big Patriots fan.

When I was younger, I was a huge Minnesota Vikings fan. I just loved the way these guys played in all the elements. Now the game is a wussified relic of its old self with a celebrity status conferred where it really isn't deserved. Tweets, preening, outrageous demands both in terms of salary and perks has destroyed the game. Some of my more favorite memories of pro football include the "ice bowl" game between Dallas and Green Bay and a few years later, a game that helped decide the NFL championship between the the-LA Rams and the Vikings. No freakin' temperature controlled domed stadiums. No heaters on the sidelines and Gatorade boys. No fish tacos in high-rent wet-bar stocked booths. Just guys like Kramer, Nitschzke (sp?), Butkus, Ellis, Page, Unitas, Sayers, Gabriel, Tittle, van Brocklin, "Deacon" Jones, Brown et al. Now its about sponsors and contracts, hair gel, autograph signings and air time. There is no way these guys deserve the salaries they get......... Thankfully, pitchers and catchers report soon.....

Return to “The Brig”