Man declines to have a smart meter installed

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 08-02-2011 12:14 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0XnOoLR-u0

I dont blame him @ all and im glad he stood up!!

These things are an invasion of privacy and could be a health risk also! (We are subjected to plenty of RF everyday,why have more??)

Its not up to the Power companies to decide for ppl when they want to heat water,wash clothes,cool the house,etc... They are in business to provide a service (electricity) to the customers want when they want it. Not when they decide "IF" and "WHEN" they want to!

Shazam
Pirate

Post by Shazam » 08-05-2011 11:54 AM

I'll tell you one thing that I think is totally ridiculous dude. That the power companies especially the ones here in Tennessee where I live are charging people by how many hot days are the power usage... Because of the heat wave my power bill doubled last month is rather ridiculous... And what's next after smart meters? I'll tell you what's next is that they're going to tell you how hot or cold you're allowed to keep her house for the you're paying your own bill or not.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 08-05-2011 12:07 PM

We've had them installed here for about a year. We had no choice on the matter. Last year they started time-of-day billing, different rates for certain times of day.

They say it makes them easier to read and monitor the grid, but the big question being brought up is if its easy for them, who else is it easy for???

Looks like they are making it easier for someone to cause trouble.......
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 08-05-2011 02:33 PM

What if you are one of those people who has a change-of-shift, every 3 months? It's hard enough to sleep during the daytime when you're altering your body clock... Do we really think the automatic meters are better for us than our own personal judgement of what we need in our lives?

There were some rattlings a couple of years ago in Los Angeles about getting a reduced bill for participating in some sort of program that allows the power companies to turn off your power in peak periods, so hospitals and other more necessary businesses can function at full power. Can you imagine coming home sick from work to no electricity and no water? Can you imagine your alarms being arbitrarily turned off? What if you have a sick loved one staying with you who requires a breathing machine or something of similar importance, while they recover from an accident or a surgery in your home?

Some businesses, from what I read, signed up for this service, but to my knowledge, no regular homeowners have done so.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 08-06-2011 03:23 AM

I think it sucks,IN SOME AREAS THEY ARE FORCING THIS CRAP (Ya cant say no)

PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP NOW!!!!!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 08-16-2011 11:27 PM

Heres a Texas woman ON FIRE about keeping her utility company from forcing her to install one of these things in her house!!

http://www.devvy.com/new_site/smart-meter-081511.html

GOOD,the more who stand up and not just sit back being puppets,THE BETTER!!

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 08-17-2011 01:50 AM

I posted the bulk of this to my FB. But I didn't post the link because, much to my horror, the site where this is published has a beginning banner that trashes my President, and I will not allow that on my site.

But yes... this is frightening. We have a hard enough time getting our DWP meter read properly, even though the curb over our meter (it's buried beneath a manhole in the street) has been painted red, because idiots keep parking in the red zone over the meter manhole. Then, when the reader comes by and we don't know where the owner of the car is (which house they're visiting) the DWP has to estimate our use... For 9 months in a row last year, before we got the City to paint the curb red, we had estimated water and power bills. By the time they could actually get to the meter to read it, they learned they had billed us nearly double what we'd used. So we've had FREE bills so far this year, to make up for the over billing.

Now the young, spoiled, entitled rich people seem to think they don't need to worry about red curbs on residential streets. We've tried putting a cone on top of the meter; it gets moved and tossed over into our yard, or mangled, or it disappears, altogether. We've had to buy 6 cones so far just in 2011, and Rod is getting REALLY pissed off over the incredible rudeness of these entitled elitists.

Life is never easy, but having this kind of problem is really aggravating; smart meters, on the other hand, may prove to be deadly.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 08-17-2011 09:34 PM

Hmmmm i didnt see any banners on that site like that (I assume your referring to the link i posted above)
Last edited by Dude111 on 08-17-2011 09:36 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Brig”