What did you last make??

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Re: What did you last make??

Post by Riddick » 11-19-2017 10:40 PM

I last made myself 3 bacon and tomato sandwiches on white toast -

But not just any tomatoes! They're GARDEN tomatoes. The real deal.

I've just enough left for 1 more batch of 3 & then that's it 'til next year

Oh sure I can get the store bought kind, but I may as well buy wood!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-20-2017 12:11 PM

I made a batch of spätzle yesterday - which was a first for me as I've only had it once before - something like 15 years ago. My wife and I went to a German restaurant not far from our place Saturday night, and the food was so good, but we had leftovers. A LOT of meat, but not much of the spätzle, so I decided to cook some for supper last night. But, in order to do that, I had to get a spätzle maker, so I had to head over to Providence to buy one. Turned out pretty good,........... It's been cold here the past few days so it hit the spot - and the restaurant still had some Oktoberfest brew left over!!!! :mrgreen:
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there......."

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-20-2017 04:00 PM

Wow! You guys know how to eat :D Real tomatoes And home made spatzle sounds so good! Compared to my 1 lonely scrambled egg , I had this morning. :(
Karma Rules

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-24-2017 12:16 PM

This one I haven't made in a while as I look at it as something more for the winter, but it's good, very cheap, and simple. I started making it for my son - something to remind him of his home in Russia, and when I saw him yesterday his girlfriend said he had made a batch not that long ago.

It's a dish called haluski, and if you've never had it, it is common to eastern European cooking, and depending on the ingredients, you can make it all for under five bucks and you'll have leftovers that you can either freeze (or not). :mrgreen:

Basically, heat an onion in a frying pan with oil until soft but not brown. Add a head of chopped cabbage and simmer on low heat until wilted. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Keep the pan covered as it will reduce the time. Next add some sort of noodles. I use a whole bag of egg noodles but you can use bow tie or something like that.

When the noodles are cooked, drain, rinse and add to the cabbage/ onion mixture. and mix it all together.

Some people add ham. I add kielbasa cut into about 1" chunks. Other people add another type of sausage - it's all preference and there's no "right way" of doing this.

Add salt & pepper to taste. Some people also add sesame seeds........ Like I said, under five bucks - a head of cabbage may be about 33 cents, an onion (has to be a sweet onion IMHO) is under a buck, noodles, depending 1-2 bucks. If you want to add kielbasa, a whole one might be 3 bucks.

My wife, who is French-Canadian, Italian and Portuguese also loves it. Good for snowy or cold rainy days........
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there......."

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 12-01-2017 01:12 AM

Doka wrote:
11-20-2017 04:00 PM
Wow! You guys know how to eat :D Real tomatoes And home made spatzle sounds so good! Compared to my 1 lonely scrambled egg , I had this morning. :(
Hey now Doka, hen fruit any way you make it, that's good eating too IMHO

Would you believe last thing I made was two pieces of white toast along with 4 eggs - said eggs fried in grease from the bacon that went into my 3 last of the season real tomato-bacon sammiches earlier in the day?

I readily concede that's not the heart healthiest of hen fruit prep methods but OOOOooo it's so good

Return to “The Brig”