What did you last make??

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Re: What did you last make??

Post by Riddick » 11-19-2017 10:40 PM

I last made myself 3 bacon and tomato sandwiches on white toast -

But not just any tomatoes! They're GARDEN tomatoes. The real deal.

I've just enough left for 1 more batch of 3 & then that's it 'til next year

Oh sure I can get the store bought kind, but I may as well buy wood!
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-20-2017 12:11 PM

I made a batch of spätzle yesterday - which was a first for me as I've only had it once before - something like 15 years ago. My wife and I went to a German restaurant not far from our place Saturday night, and the food was so good, but we had leftovers. A LOT of meat, but not much of the spätzle, so I decided to cook some for supper last night. But, in order to do that, I had to get a spätzle maker, so I had to head over to Providence to buy one. Turned out pretty good,........... It's been cold here the past few days so it hit the spot - and the restaurant still had some Oktoberfest brew left over!!!! :mrgreen:
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-20-2017 04:00 PM

Wow! You guys know how to eat :D Real tomatoes And home made spatzle sounds so good! Compared to my 1 lonely scrambled egg , I had this morning. :(
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-24-2017 12:16 PM

This one I haven't made in a while as I look at it as something more for the winter, but it's good, very cheap, and simple. I started making it for my son - something to remind him of his home in Russia, and when I saw him yesterday his girlfriend said he had made a batch not that long ago.

It's a dish called haluski, and if you've never had it, it is common to eastern European cooking, and depending on the ingredients, you can make it all for under five bucks and you'll have leftovers that you can either freeze (or not). :mrgreen:

Basically, heat an onion in a frying pan with oil until soft but not brown. Add a head of chopped cabbage and simmer on low heat until wilted. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Keep the pan covered as it will reduce the time. Next add some sort of noodles. I use a whole bag of egg noodles but you can use bow tie or something like that.

When the noodles are cooked, drain, rinse and add to the cabbage/ onion mixture. and mix it all together.

Some people add ham. I add kielbasa cut into about 1" chunks. Other people add another type of sausage - it's all preference and there's no "right way" of doing this.

Add salt & pepper to taste. Some people also add sesame seeds........ Like I said, under five bucks - a head of cabbage may be about 33 cents, an onion (has to be a sweet onion IMHO) is under a buck, noodles, depending 1-2 bucks. If you want to add kielbasa, a whole one might be 3 bucks.

My wife, who is French-Canadian, Italian and Portuguese also loves it. Good for snowy or cold rainy days........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 12-01-2017 01:12 AM

Doka wrote: 11-20-2017 04:00 PM Wow! You guys know how to eat :D Real tomatoes And home made spatzle sounds so good! Compared to my 1 lonely scrambled egg , I had this morning. :(
Hey now Doka, hen fruit any way you make it, that's good eating too IMHO

Would you believe last thing I made was two pieces of white toast along with 4 eggs - said eggs fried in grease from the bacon that went into my 3 last of the season real tomato-bacon sammiches earlier in the day?

I readily concede that's not the heart healthiest of hen fruit prep methods but OOOOooo it's so good
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Would You Believe

Post by Riddick » 02-28-2018 01:21 AM

I last made myself....

(Wait for it)

...a glass of

CHOCOLATE MILK????

Hey, with the Dude MIA, SOMEbody's gotta do it!!

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Would You Believe

Post by Riddick » 03-01-2018 02:01 AM

...I did it again?

Brown milk. Two nights in a row. Is this how it begins? Am I headed for choco-holism?

When the ordinary isn't enough, a switch to harder "Special DarK" syrup?

Maybe I should stop now before I wind up a hopeless washed-up addict!

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

No Chocolate Tonight Folks!

Post by Riddick » 03-02-2018 02:20 AM

I got the cocoa monkey off my back before he could get me hooked

OTOH, I last made myself a nice big bowl of Cheerios... with M I L K

Am I in danger of becoming an incurable late night DAIRY FIEND?

Probably not so much, as to some degree, I'm lactose intolerant

I like milk but if I take it to extremes? It doesn't like me, KWIM

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Morning Joe

Post by Riddick » 03-03-2018 07:53 AM

I last made myself a cuppa coffee: Black with cream and sugar, AND full octane of course, else what's the point? Don't let 'em kid ya. Coffee without caffeine is criminal, plain and simple

Obviously
The Big Guy intended us to GET a buzz from the bean! Yeah, as if He didn't know what He was doing. You don't get to be The Supreme Being by being a screw-up, do ya??

Next time you have coffee remember Who's watching and just say "NO!!!" to decaf.

And Now A Word From Our Sponsor

-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 03-03-2018 08:35 PM

Going the other way Riddick - having a hot toddy with plenty of whiskey and tea to combat whatever spawn from hell invaded my respiratory system.

If nothing else, I'm getting one heck of a buzz.......... :rolleyes:

Riddick
Pirate

Nothing But The Best

Post by Riddick » 03-09-2018 03:03 AM

I last made myself lasagna from a can, mixed with my own garlic meat sauce and cottage cheese & Parmesan added

The key is not using just any old canned lasagna, mind you. " Thank Goodness for Chef Boy-ar-dee !! "

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Cooking With Kraut

Post by Riddick » 03-15-2018 02:01 AM

I last made myself slow cooked pork pot roast. With onion. And sauerkraut. Lots of sauerkraut. Like, a pork to kraut 2-to-1 ratio

Hey what can I say? I LOVE sauerkraut with pork, ham and other pig products. Like brats. And weenies. Polish sausage, smoked sausage, italian sausage, you name it.

That said? What else it goes good with, I can't say. Anyone cook with kraut outside the swine family of foods?

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 03-18-2018 01:26 PM

I got hungry for Split Pea Soup, since I'm supposed to be watching my salt intake, didn't use salt ,but a 'small amount of diced ham and a small amount of chicken stock , with some garlic and the usual grated carrot. It tasted great to me. Plus, it is super high in fiber.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Late Night Snacking

Post by Riddick » 04-17-2018 01:19 AM

I last made myself two sandwiches on buttered white toast, with a slice of ham, 2 slices of bacon, 2 eggs (fried in bacon grease!), 2 slices of American cheese, salt, pepper, ketchup, and both brown & yellow mustard on each

...And to wash it all down, a cold tall glass of CHOCOLATE MILK with Hershey's Special Dark Syrup! :D

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Another Late Night Snacking

Post by Riddick » 05-09-2018 01:04 AM

I last made myself two egg salad (3 hard boiled eggs, Miracle Whip, mustard, dill pickle relish, salt and pepper) sandwiches on white bread

No chocolate milk tonight! Just Mello Yello.

-Donald Trump Image

Return to “The Brig”