Scientology's love affair with Hollywood

General religion and metaphysics topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

Lord Moon
Pirate

There are as many religions..

Post by Lord Moon » 07-10-2005 08:34 PM

As there are twists and turns in the mind...what little we have made of this world in the names of our gods...

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 07-11-2005 02:27 AM

Joolz wrote: There is an urban legend type of story that Scientology was born out of a bet made between Robert Heinlein and L. Ron Hubbard as to which of them could start a religion first. It is unknown whether or not this rumor is actually true--some say yes, others no (and the Church of Scientology sued and won against a German magazine who printed this story as true)--but there are numerous sources who say that Hubbard did state on several occasions that (paraphrased) "the best way to make money would be to start a religion." A lot of this is laid out quite well here, if you're interested.

Harlan Ellison is also reported to have said in a 1978 interview in a satirical magazine called "Wings": ""Scientology is bullsh!t! Man, I was there the night L. Ron Hubbard invented it, for Christ Sakes!...We were sitting around one night... who else was there? Alfred Bester, and Cyril Kornbluth, and Lester Del Rey, and Ron Hubbard, who was making a penny a word, and had been for years. And he said "This bullsh!t's got to stop!" He says, "I gotta get money." He says, "I want to get rich"."

And then, Wikipedia reports:

Soooooo... who knows???? Just thought some might find this stuff interesting, too...

As for Tom Cruise... I'd already lost what little respect I had for him during his divorce from Nicole, so the things spewing from his mouth now come as no surprise. He is arrogant and deluded, IMO. His comments about Brooke Shields are way out of line. :mad:

That's about right per my own research with one of his life long friends Lyn Watson.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

Lakesider
Pirate

Post by Lakesider » 07-11-2005 03:17 PM

My own research into Scientology would echo what Joolz posted. Ellison was talking about getting a penny a word for thier writings, Hubbard included, and Hubbard was looking for something more lucrative. Taking a pinch of this and a dash of that from several belief systems became Dianetics and Scientology. A completely fabricated belief system and a bit of a insiders joke for those who knew the story back in the day. Big business today though. Personally I can't imagine why anyone would join such a thing but there you go.

Operation Clambake is a website worth looking at if you got the time for lots of reading. Many ex-members post there and talk about their experiences within Scientology.

Xenu

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-11-2005 04:29 PM

Joolz wrote: ... and throughout history have each been willing to kill each other over it ...

I should add that it's not just "each other"... they've been quite willing to kill the rest of us as well... :(
Image Anchors Aweigh!

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 07-11-2005 10:43 PM

Joolz wrote: I should add that it's not just "each other"... they've been quite willing to kill the rest of us as well... :(

Absolutely and Thetan 8 has no concious to kill..........they are brain washed....they are quick to come after you .....legally...they are imo a very scary and determined group.

seattlegal
Pirate

Post by seattlegal » 07-13-2005 02:00 AM

tiffany wrote: Absolutely and Thetan 8 has no concious to kill..........they are brain washed....they are quick to come after you .....legally...they are imo a very scary and determined group.
IMHO, the Scientologists have equated the "reactive mind" with the "conscience."
from the article: The idea is to learn about, target, and shed negative forces” the reactive mind ” said to blunt potential.

Only bad things come from those who want to rid themselves from the influence of conscience...

drnewel
Pirate

re: Scientology

Post by drnewel » 08-17-2005 05:04 AM

I am a Scientologist.

Ask me a question. For example: is it true.

It doesn't matter how it started.

How about that for an answer.
Dr. Newel

Post by Guest » 08-17-2005 05:44 AM

Ask me a question.

Okay, are you running around like that batsh1t crazy woman Jenna Elfman trying clear the world of "Body Thetans?"

How much money has the Cult of Scientology gotten from you?

drnewel
Pirate

?

Post by drnewel » 08-19-2005 09:22 PM

Of all of the time I have been a Scientologist I have never heard of "Clearing The Body Thetans."

I was helped by the counseling offered to me at a very reasonable charge. I was also tested for Intelligence, and Emotional Intelligence, and counseled on how to communicate with women.

I took some of the programs that saved The New York Firefighters after 911 - and it saved my life. You forget how it saved the remaining New York Firefighters after they survived the tragedy.
Dr. Newel

drnewel
Pirate

Nicer To Islam

Post by drnewel » 08-21-2005 11:07 AM

Everyone is nicer to Islamic people than of Scientology.
Dr. Newel

Return to “Religion/Metaphysics”