Dickens - A Christmas Carol

General religion and metaphysics topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Dickens - A Christmas Carol

Post by joequinn » 11-25-2005 09:21 PM

I have just finished watching the 1938 version of A Christmas Carol on the TCM channel. We all love A Christmas Carol. After all, what would Christmas be without it, right? All the beautful costumes. All the quaint London shops. All the snow banks on the street. And those ghosts! Which one is the coolest, huh? Ah, a Thomas Kincaid Christmas paradise!!!

Bah, humbug!

A Christmas Carol is a thirty-three year old man's dagger thrust at the Victorian ruling class. And what he says in the thrusting is this:

Listen up, you capitalist entrepreneurs! If you protect and assist the people who generate your profits and who are absolutely dependent upon you for your survival, then death will have no terrors for you. But if you abuse and degrade them, then the last thing that you will see in this world before you die are the fires of hell erupting through the floorboards to embrace you! Now choose how you will behave! Choose!

The unredeemed Ebenezer Scrooge was never more alive than he is in 2005, and the world never needed Jacob Marley and the three ghosts of Christmas more than it does right now. I hope that the filthy capitalist pigs who take in the Radio City Music Hall show with the wife and kiddies squirm in agony in their seats as they behold the fate that awaits them!

Plato accused art of being self-indulgent emotional masturbation, of no good whatsoever in this world. But Plato was not completely right --- he never knew Charles Dickens!
Last edited by joequinn on 11-25-2005 09:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 11-26-2005 06:04 PM

Lucky for Plato Joe. A Christmas Carol, wonderful story, kind of reminds me of something.

Lord Moon
Pirate

No one ever learns...

Post by Lord Moon » 11-26-2005 06:14 PM

Here we are again... another Christmas....coming up soon.....

And it seems again like no matter how many times I've watched this movie, the people in charge have no worries about going to hell no matter how much pain and suffering they have caused on this world....

No matter what they have done, I can still make a difference by helping people who need my support, and yelling and screaming about the injustices that people face everyday, because there are people who listen....people who care about this world of every political persuasion and from every walk of life....

I like to think of what Yoko Ono said when John Lennon was murdered... we live in a war of the sane against the insane.....something that's been going on forever in this world....

They would like to turn this world into a mad house...we can't let that happen...
If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace. - John Lennon
Last edited by Lord Moon on 11-26-2005 06:19 PM, edited 1 time in total.

BeckySue
Pirate

Post by BeckySue » 12-05-2005 06:47 PM

If only there were billions of John and Yokos.

Paladin
Banned

Post by Paladin » 12-05-2005 08:40 PM

BeckySue wrote: If only there were billions of John and Yokos.

I can agree with you on the first person, but you are really
s............t.............r..........e...........t........c....h..............i......n.........g it on the last.

WTF? YOKO ONO?

You are referencing her as a good human being?

She is/was just some hanger-oner that whores out John Lennon for cash.
"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
- Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

Faedrea
Pirate

Post by Faedrea » 12-05-2005 09:05 PM

"I can agree with you on the first person"

No, you wouldn't. Because if John Lennon were alive today he'd be against Bush, The New World Order and the Iraq War and he'd be standing shoulder to shoulder with Cindy Sheehan, who you hate.

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 12-05-2005 10:34 PM

Paladin wrote: I can agree with you on the first person, but you are really
s............t.............r..........e...........t........c....h..............i......n.........g it on the last.

WTF? YOKO ONO?

You are referencing her as a good human being?

She is/was just some hanger-oner that whores out John Lennon for cash.

Get a life or buy a vowel or (at least) get your head out of your bum!

.......or you could join the Marines.

Just quit ypour infrantile bellyaching about nothing.

You are quite boring.

Paladin
Banned

Post by Paladin » 12-05-2005 10:47 PM

Corvid wrote: Get a life or buy a vowel or (at least) get your head out of your bum!

.......or you could join the Marines.

Just quit ypour infrantile bellyaching about nothing.

You are quite boring.

Posting under the influence?:D Or just extremely unhinged?
"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
- Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 12-05-2005 10:54 PM

Paladin wrote: Posting under the influence?:D Or just extremely unhinged?

So.... you have been reduced to heroically combating typos?

Tell you what.... forget joining the Marines.

They would not have you.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 12-06-2005 04:09 AM

Faedrea wrote: "I can agree with you on the first person"

No, you wouldn't. Because if John Lennon were alive today he'd be against Bush, The New World Order and the Iraq War and he'd be standing shoulder to shoulder with Cindy Sheehan, who you hate.
Well said, my friend.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Riddick
Pirate

Re: Dickens - A Christmas Carol

Post by Riddick » 12-23-2015 02:07 AM

A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Return to “Religion/Metaphysics”