Religious Question

General religion and metaphysics topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

Neptoon
Pirate

Post by Neptoon » 07-02-2006 10:26 AM

I believe that God, the Creator, is an unknowable essence, transcendental and forever exalted above our understanding and comprehension, and who is distinct from creation.
We know of God, and His Will, through His Manifestations, or Prophets, who have been sent to the world in various ages and places. They include Adam, Moses, Krishna, the Buddha, Jesus, Zoroaster and Muhámmad. These Manifestations perfectly reflect God’s spiritual nature by their actions, and reveal God’s guidance progressively through their Words and Laws according to our developing spiritual capacity to comprehend them.

I believe the most recent Manifestation is Bahá'u'lláh, whose Revelation is the fulfillment of the promise alluded to of the 'return' in all religious traditions, and therefore I am a Bahá'i.
Last edited by Neptoon on 07-02-2006 10:29 AM, edited 1 time in total.

vadersp
Pirate

Post by vadersp » 07-05-2006 09:02 PM

If I HAD to pick a religion, I'd go with Budhism since it has no gods and is basically an attempt to bring peace through mankind.

If that's not considered a religion, I'd start a new one, stealing from Carlin. I'd worship Joe Pesci because he seems like a guy that can get things done!

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 07-12-2006 02:23 AM

.. ... ..

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-06-2006 05:41 PM

We are literally born 'at war' with ourselves on a spiritual level.
I think we are deceived from the moment of birth by something with evil intent that lurks within this realm that wants to lead us astray from finding any possible truth on our own. I know I stopped blindly trusting anything another ever told to me to be true since that day I learned on my own that santa was a load of bull. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. ;) I will not war over what others merely believe now - I can find peace and spirituality and any truth all on my own now ... and it's good others are discovering this too now.
Last edited by Divinorumus on 08-06-2006 06:25 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 08-06-2006 06:23 PM

I would desire any that are based on long and careful study and introspection.

Which means, I should think, that "faith based" instant revalation is a muggs game.....and leads nowhere but self substantiation.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-06-2006 06:27 PM

oh, something else came to mind ...
who have been sent to the world in various ages and places
That's quite a bit different an idea than I've been onto myself. I feel as if we are given the free-willed choice to BECOME like any of those you feel are sent into this world. I mean, where is it written that any one of us could not become like another Jesus? I mean, certainly one would need to know how to do that, but where is it written and commanded that none can know how? That might well be that case as you say, but to say-so so definitively, where did you find this written, and how have you come to know this to be so true to say so? If you do not actually really KNOW, you could be misleading yourself and others astray, be it even unintentionally or unwittingly. I prefer to leave all options on the table and in play until I happen to know for sure. You never know ... especially if we create our realities, why would you want to exclude that option to be whatever we would want to be within any of them we may be ?
Last edited by Divinorumus on 08-06-2006 06:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 08-06-2006 06:27 PM

Just realized that I said exactly (more or less) what Divinoramus had posted.

I would also like to announce that I will soon accept any monetary gift for "The First Church of the Screaming Hedonists".

...........as soon as I can remember the name of my bank. :D

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 08-06-2006 06:42 PM

For the world religion of the future, I would nominate what has been called Gaia spirituality. Now, I personally have many religious beliefs that exist in a polar tension with Gaia spirituality --- but that is my personal business. For a global public religion, I would nominate Gaia spirituality.

And need I mention that Gaia spirituality is absolutely incompatible with the global capitalist socio-economic paradigm of the New World Order? Of course, I didn't... :D :D :D
Last edited by joequinn on 08-06-2006 07:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-06-2006 07:01 PM

...........as soon as I can remember the name of my bank.

No problem Corvid, you can use my bank, I remember the name.:D

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 08-06-2006 07:13 PM

Shirleypal wrote: No problem Corvid, you can use my bank, I remember the name.:D

Great... you shall be the high poobah and we shall split it all 40-40... (twenty percent to the sherrif and whomever else we must buy off).

....and guess what... it's all tax free!

Hell.... now cherryk will want to join. ;)

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-06-2006 07:32 PM

I would nominate Gaia spirituality.
we needn't even call it that, or try to even be so specific. But yes, we must begin to give full respect and priority to that which is basically hosting us here - that which created us and is sustaining us here. If we become like bad guests here upon this planet ... well, I can only imagine what would happen as a result of that. We may even want to look out into space and imagine why it isn't teaming with life as one would have expected .. Could there be any reason why it appears not? ... This is a drastic thing though, a change of venue ... It means a complete societal redesign .. going back to a slower and simpler way of life. I'm not saying going back to cave man days, but it would mean giving up even capitalism and a lot of other holy cowpies too. And of course nature CAN force this upon us too, and don't think for a moment she can't and won't and hasn't! In fact she stands ready to right NOW! BTW, I've seen beyond 2012 ... and it was quite beautiful ... but that was in another dream ... What worries me now is what will become of this one now ... one can only imagine!

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 09-09-2006 11:49 AM

Is there an Artificial God?
Douglas Adams....Magdelene College Cambridge, September 1998.
http://www.biota.org/people/douglasadams/

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 09-10-2006 03:16 PM

I thought The Ruler of the Universe is a man living in a small shack on a world that can only be reached with the use of an Infinite Improbability Drive. ??

Return to “Religion/Metaphysics”