Buddhists Hold Key to Happiness

General religion and metaphysics topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Buddhists Hold Key to Happiness

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 05-22-2003 08:17 PM

LONDON (Reuters) - Buddhists really are happy, calm and serene people -- at least according to their brain scans.
Article

See what can happen when there is an abscience of religious hatred and intolerance. The fights over who really has "the truth," end with the killing of either the body or the spirit.

If you can equate freedom with happiness then "the truth shall set you free."

rapa
Pirate

Truth Shall Set You Free

Post by rapa » 05-23-2003 01:42 PM

The truth may be as simple as always telling the truth whatever the consequences may be, that may have nothing to do with religion. I think when we categorize being a certain religion it puts us in a box of beliefs which automatically limits our freedom. I like to think of lifes journey of experiences and learning as my religion. One of my best learning lessons that brought me the closest to "truth setting me free" is being true to myself and others.:D I should add, I used to be a people pleaser which brought me a lot of heartache! By the way Eliza I love the topics you start, Thanks:)
Last edited by rapa on 05-23-2003 01:49 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Out beyond wrong doing and right doing there is a field, I'll meet you there. By Rumi

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 05-23-2003 10:56 PM

That's what I admire about those who walk the Eightfold Path. Each must discover the truth in one's own way. No easy formulas or "saving" rituals. Just continuous growth and enlightenment.

Yes, I admit that I am culturally bound into my belief system. But I stretch it as I see it needs to be stretch to get into a closer understanding of the original teachings and the meanings of those teachings. I just love to being heretic! :D

rapa
Pirate

Post by rapa » 05-24-2003 12:54 PM

I guess we all have some sort of belief system when it comes to the nitty gritty. And as long as we stay open to the new things we learn about ourselves we are growing and awakening.
Out beyond wrong doing and right doing there is a field, I'll meet you there. By Rumi

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 05-24-2003 01:03 PM

I'd like to see the stats on this study. I wonder what "other" religions they included in the study. That could be telling. I don't doubt their findings one bit, but without knowing what other spiritual paths were also tested, and how these other paths fell into the stats would be interesting.

I must agree with rapa that perhaps it is not so much Buddhism itself as it is a particular way of thinking, of mindfulness, of living IN the moment, not FOR the moment, that puts one in the state of mind described in this article. Granted, these teachings are a part of Buddhist practice, but they are also a part of many non-Buddhist paths as well. For this reason, I'd be interested in seeing how other paths weighed in.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

rapa
Pirate

Post by rapa » 05-24-2003 01:48 PM

Good point--- I think whatever path we choose to follow can open the door to our next step on our journey. A good example is the death of my grandson many years ago awakened me to a spiritual realm that I had never experienced before and has guided me into many spiritual experiences since. Sometimes we find peace in what the brain may define as tragedy. Momentary living has everything to do with it. We can't change yesterday and we can't know tomorrow. We can respond with truth, integrity & responsibility now.

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 05-26-2003 12:50 PM

All human suffering comes from craving or aversion.
Be satisfied, enjoy, be happy. Fear not.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 05-26-2003 05:19 PM

Ah, Rapa, that is a tough lesson to learn. To live in the "eternal now." To carry as baggage only lessons learned and the gift of love.

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 05-28-2003 06:53 AM

The big difference between Buddhism and most other religions:
There is no supreme being in Buddhism.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Return to “Religion/Metaphysics”