Are you sure you're right?

General religion and metaphysics topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Are you sure you're right?

Post by CindyLouWho » 04-04-2004 01:11 AM

Here is a question that I ponder very often and wonder what the rest of you think. I suppose this is a question for those who have a faith-based belief in a higher power. That is not to discount those who do not believe in a higher power, which I respect. That's the beauty of FREE-WILL!! ... So my question is this: Assuming the following is true:

that Christians believe that through Jesus is the only way into God's Kingdom.

that Jews believe they are God's only chosen, and are waiting on the real Messiah.

that Muslims praise Allah, through the teachings of the prophet Mohammed.

that Mormans believe only good deeds will get you to Heaven.

Etc, etc .... (too many to name, but you get the drift)

Assuming that these things are all believed by the respective religions:

Do you believe that only one group of people (religion) is correct? And if so, what do you believe happens to everyone else in the after-life (if you believe in one)?????

My belief is that we (all faiths) are a little right and that the God we praise (or not) is one and the same. I have a family member (by marriage) who believes that everyone who has not asked Jesus into their life & heart is doomed to eternal damnation. My God, doesn't discriminate though, so I don't believe as he does. My God doesn't make mistakes, either.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 04-04-2004 01:51 AM

Just a general observation: When it comes to beliefs based on faith, i.e. belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence -

Then in general, one thing I'm sure I'm right about is, if I'm basing my beliefs on illogical proof & immaterial evidence, I can't really be sure about anything...!

Beyond that I can say, Cindy, I don't believe that only one belief is 'correct'. Basically? I believe if a belief works for you, that's cool.

Might not work for me, but I'm fine with whatever you believe... so long as it doesn't involve trying to change me or my beliefs by coersion or force.

I'll tellya one more thing: I do believe what's done in life does determine what comes in the afterlife. But what that afterlife is, well... all I'll say is if what was done in life wasn't much good, I figure the afterlife's not gonna be any better...
Last edited by Riddick on 04-04-2004 02:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 04-04-2004 02:10 AM

Riddick (and friends, hehe),

We are on the same page, exactly.

:)

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 04-04-2004 03:14 AM

I suppose I'm curious if there are pirates amongst us who are fundamental in their thinking when it comes to their faith. I'm curious, if they believe that they are absolutely right and others are wrong, then what do they think will happen to the rest of us?

And I promise that it isn't to pick a fight ... I'm just truly interested.

Burt Gummer
Pirate

Post by Burt Gummer » 04-04-2004 11:18 AM

OK, I'll bite...

Some fundamentalist Christian teachings talk of a second chance after crossing, yet others say no way, it's their way or separation from God...it depends on your flavor. My brand of Christianity feels the fair and true Creator (God) will take all of life's circumstances into account, Christian or non-Christian. However, I still believe Jesus was the son of God...and did say "No man come to the Father, but by Me" John 14:6...how this will work out is yet to be determoned...

What I don't understand is why people will trust in little green men but will cast off any truth in the Bible...

Thoughts...comments?

BG

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 04-04-2004 01:54 PM

Just from my POV
There are truths in the Bible
but IMHO it is not the only source for truths

And what truths there might be,
from any written source -

after centuries of
(re)interpretation

- I often see overcome by what
I would see as untruths
from folks -

Who (with their mouths as source)
would have me believe

that their POV IS
THE ONLY Truth,
the Whole Truth,
& nothing but The Truth

Well. OK. A little extreme,
That's one thing -
if it works for you
That's jake with me.

But then, fanatics -
of any stripe -
Those I see,
preaching love
but practicing hate

or, worse yet
preaching AND practicing
capital H-A-T-E

Well...
There IS a limit
to how much
I'll take.

...I'll leave them be
if they leave me be
But if not

if they get in my face

Well in life
there are pleasant truths
but then
there are also
unpleasant truths
one, at times, must face...

So. A word
to fanatics:

I like to keep things pleasant
but

If you don't want
to face unpleasantness
... DON'T
get in my
face
!!!
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

Burt Gummer
Pirate

Post by Burt Gummer » 04-04-2004 02:42 PM

Riddick wrote: So. A word
to fanatics:

I like to keep things pleasant
but

If you don't want
to face unpleasantness
... DON'T
get in my
face
!!!

Hi Riddick,

What's your take on a fanatic?

LisaA
Pirate

Post by LisaA » 04-04-2004 03:40 PM

From what I understand about firm beliefs and dogma, a person has to undergo a conversion to believing it, and then that set of beliefs becomes a discipline for them.

I've heard people talk about their conversions and then their struggles to fit their lives into the belief system, ie the diet and everything. Then, they tend to shape their attention to focus only on things in this world that confirm to their new belief system. They have new sympathies.

At first it's all new stuff to them, and they are really inspired to change. Then as the years go by it all softens. Some people snap back out of it, if it was an extreme change, and go the opposite way in a rebound. Or some people just become more normalized within their new faith system. I've seen this because I'm from Mormonism.

I can never be a "convert" because I can't stand being told to change. I get very defensive and bristly. When it comes to exercise and diet plans and church obligations and stuff like that...ew I hate impositions like that.

I think people's different belief systems are a "fit" for them, somehow.

It's scary to think of someone belonging to a group of people who will do what some unquestioned leader tells them to, including kill or socially shun or try to convert others. I used to really hate and be defensive about religious fanatics, so I decided to stop being afraid and I started looking at what they were reading and what they were saying.

The ones I looked at do believe that you have to believe in Jesus and Jesus alone or you won't attain salvation. I've never been mistreated by people who believe that, but I've never gone against them. I've thought there must be some other way to interpret those words about Jesus, "I am the Way, the Truth, the Light...Except ye believe in me, no man cometh unto the father," (just saying it from memory) and I can't accept that Jesus was asking people to worship him.

So you see, I think people are all driven by the notion of making sense of their beliefs.

I believe there is just one true relgion but that's a trick answer because I believe there is one Self with a million billion different thoughts and impressions. But I still focus only on what I want to see, and most of all right now I'm struggling with what it means to have freedom of conscience.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 04-04-2004 04:48 PM

Burt Gummer wrote: Hi Riddick,

What's your take on a fanatic?
My take? Closest def, From dictionary.com:

fanatic

\Fa*nat"ic\, a. [L. fanaticus inspired by divinity, enthusiastic, frantic, fr. fanum fane: cf. F. fanatique. See Fane.] Pertaining to, or indicating, fanaticism; extravagant in opinions; ultra; unreasonable; excessively enthusiastic, especially on religious subjects; as, fanatic zeal; fanatic notions.

But Faith, fanatic Faith, once wedded fast
To some dear falsehood, hugs it to the last. --T. Moore.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

-Donald Trump Image

Burt Gummer
Pirate

Post by Burt Gummer » 04-04-2004 04:52 PM

That was very well said LisaA!

Personally, I've never have gone in for "conforming" or for "organized religion"... Jesus seems to get blamed for things he didn't say! IMHO, thats where people get into trouble. One "leader" starts interpreting scripture for the masses and the masses don't test the leader by actually reading for themselves.

When in doubt get the Bible out and look for yourself... Try just reading what Jesus said...it a great starting point, IMHO.

PS, I'm not trying to apostatize anyone so please don't misinterpret my posts. I'm just trying to state my beliefs and to attempt to add some sanity and reason to a world that seems to be coming apart at warp speed!

Burt Gummer
Pirate

Post by Burt Gummer » 04-04-2004 05:01 PM

Riddick wrote: My take? Closest def, From dictionary.com:

fanatic

ultra; unreasonable; excessively enthusiastic, especially on religious subjects; as, fanatic zeal; fanatic notions.

That's great and you'll find MANY religious leaders (and others) that fit right smack dab into that definition. I really don't know where it comes from either...is it from fear, ignorance or both...

LisaA
Pirate

Post by LisaA » 04-05-2004 09:55 AM

Thanks, BG!

Have you ever known or spoken to Seventh-Day Adventists?

There's a lady that does hair and once when I was getting a haircut she told me that the US government is growing and leading us into a New World Order. I didn't know what she meant by that. I know that church, the seventh day folks, are mostly vegetarian and they believe in an end-times coming about. I wonder if there's a fanatic element in there.

Is the belief system what makes the fanatic, or is it the zeal and/or the unreasonableness, as stated above?

Burt Gummer
Pirate

Post by Burt Gummer » 04-05-2004 10:28 AM

LisaA wrote: Thanks, BG!

Have you ever known or spoken to Seventh-Day Adventists?

Hi LisaA

I have an acquaintance that belongs to that sect. Personally, their a bit too controlling and out of my comfort zone... Quite honestly when I speak to this guy my "nut alarm" goes off. I'm not sure if it's him or his beliefs...

Take care,
BG

Old65
Joker Pirate

Post by Old65 » 04-05-2004 10:59 AM

Cindy I am going to jump in and out real quick.
I thought this interesting

;)
A college professor, an avowed atheist, was teaching his class. He shocked several of his students when he flatly stated he was going to> prove there was no God. Addressing the ceiling he shouted: "God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you 15 minutes!"

The lecture room fell silent. You could have heard a pin fall. Ten minutes went by. Again he taunted God, saying, "Here I am, God. I'm still waiting."

His countdown got down to the last couple of minutes when a Marine--just released from active duty and newly registered in the class--walked up to the professor, hit him full force in the face and sent him tumbling from his lofty platform. The professor was out cold!

At first, the students were shocked and babbled in confusion. The young Marine took a seat in the front row and sat silent. The class fell silent...waiting.

Eventually, the professor came to, shaken. He looked at the young Marine in the front row. When the professor regained his senses and could speak he asked: "What's the matter with you? Why did you do that?"

"God was busy. He sent me."

One Nation Under God

old66

Burt Gummer
Pirate

Post by Burt Gummer » 04-05-2004 02:10 PM

We can always count on you...OLD63/4/5 and beyond!

ROTFLOL! :D

Return to “Religion/Metaphysics”