36 US Servicmen Killed Today

War, News and Stories of Iraq

Moderator: Super Moderators

Bellisima
Pirate

36 US Servicmen Killed Today

Post by Bellisima » 01-26-2005 05:16 PM

Bush says the news will be "discouraging" to the American people- but emphasizes that "it is the long term objective that is vital". Nice eulogy.

Marine Helicopter Crashes in Iraq, Killing 31
By SAMEER N. YACOUB, AP

BAGHDAD, Iraq (Jan. 26) -- A U.S. military transport helicopter crashed during sandstorms in Iraq's western desert Wednesday, killing 31 people, all believed to be Marines, while insurgents killed five other American troops in the deadliest day for U.S. forces since the Iraq war began.

Militants waging a campaign to derail Sunday's election carried out at least six car bombings and a flurry of other attacks on schools to be used as polling stations, political party offices and Kurdish sites, killing or wounding more than two dozen people.

While al-Qaida warned Iraqis to stay away from the polls - saying they would only have themselves to blame if they are hurt in attacks - President Bush called on people to ''defy the terrorists'' and cast ballots in the crucial election.

A Bush administration official said the cause of Wednesday's crash was not immediately known but that there was bad weather at the time. An Accuweather map of Iraq showed sandstorms Wednesday in the western region of Iraq near the Jordanian border where the crash took place.

The CH-53 Sea Stallion was carrying personnel from the 1st Marine Division when it went down about 1:20 a.m. near the town of Rutbah, about 220 miles west of Baghdad, while conducting security operations, the military said in a statement.

A search and rescue team has reached the site and an investigation into what caused the crash was under way.

The administration official said Wednesday that all 31 people killed in the crash were believed to be U.S. Marines - the most American servicemembers to die in a single incident in Iraq. It was also the deadliest day for U.S. forces since the March 2003 invasion.

Bush expressed his condolences for the deaths. ''The story today is going to be very discouraging to the American people. I understand that. It is the long-term objective that is vital - that is to spread freedom,'' he told reporters.

He said ''a lot of Iraqis'' were expected to participate in the elections. ''Clearly, there are some who are intimidated,'' Bush said. ''I urge people to vote. I urge people to defy these terrorists.''

In Iraq's Anbar province, four U.S. Marines were killed in fighting, the military said in a statement.

The statement gave no further details, but WABC reporter Jim Dolan, who was embedded with the troops who were attacked, said the deaths came when insurgents ambushed a Marine convoy leaving the town of Haditha, west of Baghdad, hitting a vehicle with a rocket-propelled grenade.

Also Wednesday, insurgents attacked a U.S. Army patrol near the northern town of Duluiyah, killing one soldier and wounding two others, the U.S. command said.

With the four Marines and the soldier's deaths, at least 1,377 members of the U.S. military have died in Iraq, according to an Associated Press count. If all 31 dead in the crash are confirmed to be military personnel, the count would rise to 1,408.

The previous single deadliest incident for U.S. troops was also a helicopter crash: In November 2004, two Black Hawk helicopters collided while trying to avoid ground fire, killing 17 servicemembers. Earlier that month, a Chinook transport helicopter was shot down by shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missile near Fallujah, killing 16 American soldiers and wounding 26.

The U.S. military has lost at least 33 helicopters since the start of the war, including at least 20 brought down by hostile fire, according to a study by the Brookings Institution.

Previously, the most Americans killed in one day came on March 23, 2003, when 28 troops were killed in various incidents during the U.S. military's drive to take Baghdad and topple Saddam Hussein. Bush declared major combat over on May 1, 2003, but fighting has continued.

Last month, a suicide bomb exploded at a mess tent in a base near Mosul, killing 22 people including 14 U.S. soldiers and three American contractors.

With only days before the election, guerrillas carried out a string of attacks Wednesday targeting political groups and voting sites.

A suicide bomber detonated a vehicle packed with explosives at the offices of the Kurdistan Democratic Party in the town of Sinjar, just outside Mosul, killing or wounding at least 20 people, said KDP official Mahdi al-Harki.

Earlier in the day, gunmen opened fire with machine guns on the local headquarters of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan and the Communist Party in the city of Baqouba, north of Baghdad, killing a traffic policeman. The KDP and PUK are the two largest Kurdish groups in Iraq and have formed a coalition along with other Kurdish groups to run in the election.

Insurgents set off three car bombs in rapid succession in the town of Riyadh, north of Baghdad, killing at least five people - including three policemen.

Four American soldiers were injured in a car bombing Wednesday in Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit, the U.S. command said. Another car bomb targeted a multinational forces convoy on the road to Baghdad's international airport, injuring four soldiers, the command said.

The attack temporarily closed the airport road, one of the country's most dangerous. Up to four mortar shells exploded Wednesday near a police station in the northern Baghdad suburb of Sabaa al-Bor, injuring at least one Iraqi.

A Web site statement, purportedly from al-Qaida in Iraq, said it carried out the attack on the airport road, claiming that the targets were Americans.

The group also warned Iraqis to stay away from the polls Sunday. It said the Americans were organizing ''fraudulent elections'' and that Iraqi troops were protecting ''the Jews and the Christians.''

''The enemies of God will see that death is their destiny and failure their ally,'' the group said. ''Oh people, be careful. Be careful not to be near the centers of infidelity and vice, the polling centers ... Don't blame us but blame yourselves'' if harmed.'' The statement's authenticity could not be verified.

In new attacks, two schools slated to be used as polling stations were bombed overnight. A ground floor classroom in one of the buildings, a preparatory school for girls, was littered with broken glass and its main entrance was blackened and clogged with debris.

Al-Arabiya television broadcast a videotape showing three men identified by insurgents as election workers who were kidnapped in Mosul. The satellite station said the three were abducted by the Nineveh Mujahedeen, which threatened to attack polling stations on election day.

U.S. troops and insurgents also clashed in the city of Ramadi, west of Baghdad, in fighting that doctors said killed on Iraqi.

Iraqis will choose a 275-member National Assembly and regional legislatures. Sunni Muslim extremists have threatened to sabotage the election and many Sunni clerics have called for a boycott because of the presence of 170,000 U.S. and other foreign troops.

In Baghdad's Sadr City district, Iraqi forces backed by U.S. troops raided a Shiite mosque, detaining up to 25 followers of a radical cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, police and the cleric's supporters said.

AP-NY-01-26-05 14:41 EST
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

daboodaddy
Pirate

Post by daboodaddy » 01-26-2005 06:17 PM

:(
Question EVERYTHING, even your OWN thoughts.
A "Daboodaddyism"

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 01-26-2005 06:21 PM

This indeed is very sad news...
The battle rages on' and the rage' has cost and will cost many lives..
This we know.
It it very sad that war' has to be'...
Much saddness and heart ache, and devastation for all involved on the ground.

Bless the peace keepers' and the men and women that fight for their boss' the President of the United States.

I do not like what he has dragged the American people into, but now we do' have to win this war..

We just have too.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 01-26-2005 07:57 PM

This is very sad indeed...may they all rest in peace.:(

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 01-26-2005 08:32 PM

Much sadness again as is every day almost over there.

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 01-26-2005 11:26 PM

:mad:

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 01-27-2005 02:07 AM

Reuters reports the number has gone up to 37.

This breaks my heart. I woke up, turned on the news and cried.
:( :( :(

This war is so FRELLING stupid! Just flat ass DUMB!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 01-27-2005 03:00 AM

Very, Very, VERY sad news... :(
"it is the long term objective that is vital"
What an insensitive a$$. This makes my blood boil. :mad:
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 01-27-2005 03:02 AM

You don't have to convince me ... all wars are bad ones.

Those shiites and sunni's are fighting over culture and secular
control at our expense.

for a different perspective pick up Jared Diamond's book
Guns, Germs and Steel" it proves why an African Woman won the Noble Peace prize this past year. Waaghti worked over 30 years tirelessly to rebuild the envoriment to sustain life.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

Joolz
Pirate

Current Results of Polls on AOL About Iraq and Bush

Post by Joolz » 01-27-2005 03:04 AM

Just interesting... ahem.

Poll 1

How optimistic are you about the future of Iraq?
Not at all 48%
Barely 24%
Very 15%
Somewhat 13%

Total Votes: 177,828

---------------------------------

Poll 2

Has the war in Iraq been worth the human cost?
No 75%
Yes 14%
It's too early to tell 11%

What should we do with troop levels in Iraq?
Decrease 59%
Increase 21%
Maintain 20%

Total Votes: 170,572

Poll 3

How confident are you the election in Iraq will be credible?
Not at all 67%
Somewhat 21%
Very 12%

How concerned are you the election will be disrupted by violence?
Very 76%
Somewhat 17%
Not at all 7%

Total Votes: 149,416

Poll 4

How would you rate Bush's handling of Iraq?
Poor 74%
Good 11%
Excellent 10%
Fair 6%

How has your opinion of the war changed since it began?
(This was a bogus question, IMO, but anyway...)
No change 44%
I support it less 39%
I support it more 12%
I go back and forth 5%

Total Votes: 158,707

WHAT frelling "mandate"???!?

AOL polls used to be consistently "conservative" and pro-Bush. The results of the polls there since November 2nd have been anything but. Makes one wonder...
Last edited by Joolz on 01-27-2005 03:06 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 01-27-2005 12:42 PM

WHY was the helicopter going up at all during a heavy sandstorm? They could have waited a few hours for the sandstorm to 'blow out' which is what it did.

Investigation -- ?? what nonsense is this? It was a SANDSTORM - a very VICIOUS and HEAVY one from reports from the reporters IN Iraq.

VERY SAD when any lives are lost. Common sense should tell you that its not safe to fly a helicopter in a sandstorm.

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 01-28-2005 07:08 AM

Why does it seem that big helicopter crashes are usually non-combat related?:mad:
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 01-28-2005 12:12 PM

Dev -- good question.. They were troops being taken from one area to another... What is so "dumb" is that they would take a chopper up in a severe sandstorm... Common sense says helicopters and sandstorms don't mix. They could have waited a few hours as it was stated by another trooper - the sandstorm, came and went within few hours time....

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 01-28-2005 06:14 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Dev -- good question.. They were troops being taken from one area to another... What is so "dumb" is that they would take a chopper up in a severe sandstorm... Common sense says helicopters and sandstorms don't mix. They could have waited a few hours as it was stated by another trooper - the sandstorm, came and went within few hours time....

CherryK perhaps this was not just a routine ride on that chopper. Perhaps they were fleeing or rushing to something or someone. That would explain why they were in the sandstorm. Although sandstorms can come up without notice I have heard. But does seem suspicious to me. I wonder if they are telling us everything. I doubt it.

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 01-28-2005 06:47 PM

What I heard is that they were on their way to guard the boarder' so no one got in from a foreign country, a few days before the voting'.. I think it was on Syria's border...

You know how it goes in the service.. hurry up!

So very sad... :(

Hey' I just don't get it... this voting business... It's a joke, it's not democratic', hell ours is corrupted with Diebold'.. no paper trail in some key places... What the hell is that, but fakery...
and long 10 hour waiting lines.. What's that, but more fakery..

Maybe a good ole fashion rebellion'...

Ya sure.. when i see them taking to the streets and meet up with swat teams shooting rubber bullets and pepper spray, really wants to make you just want to join in..
Tanks would be their like in Tennimum? Square' in China...

Yep' a real bad case of a dicatorship, right here...
I say we Impeach' the whole bunch'.. and start again with some integrity..
Then a least we have a chance to uphold the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights..

...and if anyone has the balls to miss use them.
Off with their heads!

Oh.. ranting on.. sorry'

Hey, what are we fighting and dying for?

Oh ya.. Bushco Oil'

Return to “Iraq”