Who Lost Iraq?

War, News and Stories of Iraq

Moderator: Super Moderators

User avatar
Riddick
Pirate
Posts: 12162
Joined: 11-01-2002 03:00 AM
Location: SE WI
Contact:

Who Lost Iraq?

Post by Riddick » 01-10-2014 03:41 PM

Two years after the last U.S. troops departed Iraq in December 2011, ending an eight-year presence, Iraq is in flames. Al Qaeda has seized territory in western Anbar province; Maliki’s forces are fighting alongside some Sunni tribesmen against al Qaeda; while other Sunni tribes are in a full-scale revolt against both al Qaeda and Maliki’s forces, whom they see as oppressive as the Sunni radicals they detest.

It begs the question that many are now asking back in Washington: What went wrong? Did America lose Iraq? What happened to the country that President Barack Obama and his aides have described again and again over the last two years as stable, prosperous and democratic?

The answer is a complicated story of an administration that struggled to define its relationship with Iraq as it withdrew the majority of its forces, unclear about what its future military presence should look like - and as well, an Iraqi government whose politics were poisonous, where one’s stance on the status of American troops became another weapon for rivals to bludgeon each other. And none of it fits neatly into a tight Washington narrative.

FULL STORY

User avatar
Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Posts: 2970
Joined: 02-16-2011 09:28 PM

Post by Dude111 » 06-16-2014 10:56 PM

THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE EVER BEEN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!

Now they are sending more...... UNBELIEVABLE!!

User avatar
Riddick
Pirate
Posts: 12162
Joined: 11-01-2002 03:00 AM
Location: SE WI
Contact:

Post by Riddick » 06-17-2014 01:23 AM

Dude111 wrote: THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE EVER BEEN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!

Now they are sending more...... UNBELIEVABLE!!
How about a diplomatic solution? Here's one a friend of mine might propose:
  • Give the rebel forces and Maliki 60 days to settle their sh!t amicably or the neutron bombs start flying.
Promising to wipe out the entire population may seem a little extreme, but hey! Dealing with extremists all around it may work best to talk their own language, eh?

User avatar
kbot
Pirate
Posts: 6953
Joined: 03-12-2008 05:44 AM

Post by kbot » 06-17-2014 06:06 AM

I guess that a concern is that as people leave the countries they had been living-in to go to Syria to train, and then get some real-world terrorist experience in Iraq, that they will start making their way back to their adopted countries of choice and start attacks there as well.

Snippet:


Syria Conflict Spawning ‘New Generation of Terrorists,’ Report Warns

The civil war in Syria already appears to have drawn more foreign fighters than the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s, and may prove an even more dangerous incubator for terrorism in the long run, according to a new report by a private security company.

The report, by the Soufan Group, estimates that 12,000 foreign fighters have traveled to Syria. The estimate is up sharply from 7,000 that U.S. and Israeli intelligence estimated at the start of 2014, and more than the 10,000 thought to have fought the Soviets in Afghanistan, the decade long conflict that spawned al-Qaeda.


http://time.com/2814331/syria-terrorism-soufan-group/

Those unintended consequences again..........
What the hell are we fighting for? Ah, just surrender and it won't hurt at all. You just got time to say your prayers. Yeah, while you're waiting for the hammer to fall. (Brian May of Queen)

User avatar
Fan
Lady with a
Posts: 5270
Joined: 05-09-2011 02:18 PM
Contact:

Post by Fan » 06-17-2014 11:51 AM

The only reason "terrorists" are training is because we are bombing and shooting the crap out of them. You would be training in guerilla camps too if another country was doing that to you.

Leave and let them work it out among themselves, with support as needed, and support does not mean killing innocent people.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

User avatar
kbot
Pirate
Posts: 6953
Joined: 03-12-2008 05:44 AM

Post by kbot » 06-17-2014 12:57 PM

How about the story of the LA gang members who have volunteered for duty in Syria? I don't recall hearing about LA gangs being bombed.......
What the hell are we fighting for? Ah, just surrender and it won't hurt at all. You just got time to say your prayers. Yeah, while you're waiting for the hammer to fall. (Brian May of Queen)

User avatar
Fan
Lady with a
Posts: 5270
Joined: 05-09-2011 02:18 PM
Contact:

Post by Fan » 06-17-2014 01:10 PM

kbot wrote: How about the story of the LA gang members who have volunteered for duty in Syria? I don't recall hearing about LA gangs being bombed.......


If in fact that is true, which I and many people know it is not, then I doubt they did it for fun. Amazing that they maintain Facebook profiles to make it easy to identify them, right? Sounds like your average terrorist? Give me a break. This is fake news from fake people trying to fight a fake war. Propaganda. If you go read the BS articles about it, it is 2 guys who were deported, the Crips and Bloods are not over there helping. Their names are "Wino" and "Creeper". Uh huh.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

User avatar
Diogenes
Pirate
Posts: 5784
Joined: 07-14-2011 03:01 PM

Post by Diogenes » 06-17-2014 02:06 PM

Fan wrote: The only reason "terrorists" are training is because we are bombing and shooting the crap out of them. You would be training in guerilla camps too if another country was doing that to you.

Leave and let them work it out among themselves, with support as needed, and support does not mean killing innocent people.


Fan,

Really these attacks on Americans go way back - 1979 at least. There are premeditated acts of violence and cruelty on good people for no reason.

These people are religious zealots and Sociopaths and misfits - personally this bunch - ISIS - they should be hung in the public square for the acts they have committed. Civilized people don't behead their enemies.
A man's character is his fate

User avatar
SquidInk
________________
Posts: 5862
Joined: 03-15-2007 03:48 PM

Post by SquidInk » 06-17-2014 11:45 PM

Diogenes wrote: Civilized people don't behead their enemies.
Of course not. Civilized people kill by entirely different means...

http://goo.gl/RuW2di

http://rense.com/general56/dep.htm

http://www.alternet.org/world/falluja-b ... egacy-iraq

http://vietnamawbb.weebly.com/napalm-agent-orange.html
“Napalm is the most terrible pain you can ever imagine” said Kim Phúc, a survivor from a napalm bombing. “Water boils at 212°F. Napalm generates temperatures 1,500°F to 2,200°F.”

[...]

The Vietnam Red Cross recorded over 4.8 million deaths and 400,000 children born with birth defects due to exposure to Agent Orange.


and we can't "forget"...

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... nt-of-iran
Last edited by SquidInk on 06-18-2014 09:13 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

User avatar
Fan
Lady with a
Posts: 5270
Joined: 05-09-2011 02:18 PM
Contact:

Post by Fan » 06-18-2014 07:43 AM

there is no arguing. If people think they can go kill other people with no justification then I am done trying to convince them otherwise. If you think your country is the sole arbiter of justice and you are so advanced socially and morally that you can judge who deserves to live or die, so be it. Just be aware that it works both ways and the reaper is not just a missile.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

User avatar
kbot
Pirate
Posts: 6953
Joined: 03-12-2008 05:44 AM

Post by kbot » 06-18-2014 09:27 AM

Fan wrote: If in fact that is true, which I and many people know it is not, then I doubt they did it for fun. Amazing that they maintain Facebook profiles to make it easy to identify them, right? Sounds like your average terrorist? Give me a break. This is fake news from fake people trying to fight a fake war. Propaganda. If you go read the BS articles about it, it is 2 guys who were deported, the Crips and Bloods are not over there helping. Their names are "Wino" and "Creeper". Uh huh.


Perhaps, but we do KNOW already because this administration has admitted as much, that we do have Americans siding with the terrorists in certain cases.

That being the case, what do we do when they return. In Europe, they are already contemplating their course of action. Here, they will probably be lumped-in with the "teenagers" coming across the border and be shipped off to inland cities and towns by military flights as Obama did with the kids in Texas - sending them to Massachusetts where they were released into the community Nice going....
What the hell are we fighting for? Ah, just surrender and it won't hurt at all. You just got time to say your prayers. Yeah, while you're waiting for the hammer to fall. (Brian May of Queen)

User avatar
kbot
Pirate
Posts: 6953
Joined: 03-12-2008 05:44 AM

Post by kbot » 06-18-2014 09:30 AM

Diogenes wrote: Fan,

Really these attacks on Americans go way back - 1979 at least. There are premeditated acts of violence and cruelty on good people for no reason.

These people are religious zealots and Sociopaths and misfits - personally this bunch - ISIS - they should be hung in the public square for the acts they have committed. Civilized people don't behead their enemies.
I think that if these terrorists had been Christian, this administration would have been all over the situation. As it is, many Christians have been killed by Islamic extremists from the Middle East across Africa, and nary a word of criticism, or support for the Christian communities being wiped out. The implication being pushed by this administration is obvious - and the take-away is that if you are a member of an ally, you're Christian, and are being attacked, don't expect any support from this administration.
What the hell are we fighting for? Ah, just surrender and it won't hurt at all. You just got time to say your prayers. Yeah, while you're waiting for the hammer to fall. (Brian May of Queen)

juslilolme
Pirate
Posts: 5
Joined: 04-18-2010 07:53 AM

Post by juslilolme » 06-18-2014 03:24 PM

‘We’re Leaving Behind A Stable And Self-Reliant Iraq’

Obama, 2011...

Funny how Obama takes credit but never ownership.

User avatar
Riddick
Pirate
Posts: 12162
Joined: 11-01-2002 03:00 AM
Location: SE WI
Contact:

Post by Riddick » 06-18-2014 04:53 PM

Their War, Not Ours
Is any of this in America’s interests? A commentary by Pat Buchanan. LINK

User avatar
Diogenes
Pirate
Posts: 5784
Joined: 07-14-2011 03:01 PM

Post by Diogenes » 06-18-2014 08:00 PM

Fan wrote: there is no arguing. If people think they can go kill other people with no justification then I am done trying to convince them otherwise. If you think your country is the sole arbiter of justice and you are so advanced socially and morally that you can judge who deserves to live or die, so be it. Just be aware that it works both ways and the reaper is not just a missile.


Fan,

We got it on 9/11 - we do get it and surely the families and friends of those in the Towers really get it first hand.

Would you not acknowledge there is such a thing as ‘radical Islam”?

I do think the US is morally superior to the folks you seem to believe do not exist- such as radical Islam and the rest of the acknowledged terrorists. I also know who comes to aid in terms of cash and folks when there is a tragedy far removed from US soil.

I wonder if it is that Canadians just don’t like the US much because the majority of Canadians are pacifists and they feel the US is a warmongering nation.

Does that pretty much sum it up?
A man's character is his fate

Post Reply

Return to “Iraq”