Orbit @ Home news

Seti Team Art Bell

Moderator: Super Moderators

Astro_Tom1
Pirate

Orbit @ Home news

Post by Astro_Tom1 » 09-11-2005 10:17 AM

September 9, 2005
First application now available, for the i686-pc-linux-gnu platform only. We are generating WUs, and of course we are noticing a lot of problems, as expected. Please report any problem, using the forums.

It will still be some time for the Windows platform to be made as they want the Linux working first. I find that strange as the majority of users are on windows.

Astro_Tom1
Pirate

Post by Astro_Tom1 » 09-20-2005 07:45 PM

From Pasquale Tricarico, Creator of Orbit@Home.

9 Sep 05....Great! This first wave of WUs spotted so many problems, all fixed now. Thanks to all the users promptly reporting the problems. The last 2 WUs created are returning successful results now, and this is great. Other BOINC sections still need work, but now we know that the application is working correctly on remote computers.

More WUs and news tomorrow (it's almost 1 AM now in Tucson).

They are going to work out any bugs for Linux and then start on the Windows app.

Astro_Tom1
Pirate

Post by Astro_Tom1 » 10-21-2005 11:45 PM

October 21, 2005
In the last month, we've not been able to work on orbit@home on a daily basis for various reasons, but still some important results have been achieved. The most important improvements to orbit@home are the result of the collaboration with Pan-STARRS (http://pan-starrs.ifa.hawaii.edu/public/) researchers in order to be ready to analyze their observations as soon as their survey starts (first light for PS1 prototype is scheduled for early 2006) and the observations are made publicly available. This requires substantial science-code development, and the results so far are extremely positive. As the first wave of WU demonstrated, the code based on ORSA works correctly on remote clients (only Linux platform tested for the moment). In order to provide WUs on a daily basis, we are developing a science-database and the relative management code. This will take a fair amount of time, about two more months of work. For this reason, the beta phase will be postponed to early 2006. Clients for Windows and Mac OS X will be provided as soon as the scientific application is considered sufficiently stable on the Linux platform. All the clients will be provided and tested during the alpha phase, to fix all the major problems before the beta phase.

Astro_Tom1
Pirate

Post by Astro_Tom1 » 01-02-2006 08:52 PM

November 30, 2005
We are updating the system to the latest version of BOINC. Some WUs will be released in the next days to test the preliminary version of the scientific database now under development.

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 01-02-2006 10:36 PM

Hey, Tom! How's it going?

I can't keep up with all the different projects. There are 8 or 9 now!

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 01-02-2006 10:41 PM

What is Orbit@Home ???.....

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 01-02-2006 11:36 PM

http://orbit.psi.edu/

I don't see any info on it here:
http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/index.php

That's where I find out about all the new projects. He seems to have the most comprehensive list (even alpha and beta projects).

Did you ever get a description of what the science is, Tom?

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 01-02-2006 11:38 PM

This is a quote from the message boards (http://orbit.psi.edu/forum_thread.php?i ... estamp_asc):

Let's start with this easy question. Orbit@home is a project based on BOINC and ORSA, monitoring the orbit of all the asteroids passing near the Earth. Every time a new asteroid is discovered or re-observed, the orbit of the asteroid is updated and propagated in future to check for possible impacts with the Earth.

As bigger and better telescopes are built, the number of orbits to update every day increases, so more computing power is needed in order to do it. It is at this point that the distributed computing philosophy enters and helps doing the work. The basic idea is the following: each different client can work with the data relative to a single asteroid, because there is no correlation between asteroids (excluding extremely rare cases, like asteroid-asteroid impact or gravitational perturbation; both these cases can be handled in an improved version of orbit@home). If the number of clients available is greater than the number of orbits to update (times a redundancy factor), it is possible in principle to update all the orbits in the same time needed by a single computer to update a single orbit. This is what makes the orbit@home project so appealing.

Astro_Tom1
Pirate

Post by Astro_Tom1 » 01-03-2006 12:01 AM

TABwebmaster wrote: Hey, Tom! How's it going?

I can't keep up with all the different projects. There are 8 or 9 now!

there still doing the Linux thing and then they will be doing the windows thing. We now have funding and a scope to give WU's I guess were just on a Dev and WU hold.

Return to “Team Art Bell”