Team Art Bell Driftwood

Seti Team Art Bell

Moderator: Super Moderators

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Team Art Bell Driftwood

Post by SetiCruncher » 12-28-2005 07:56 PM

How is it that a Team with over 13 000 Members is being beat by teams with only a fraction of its membership?

Has Team Art Bell (which I have recently joined) considered trimming the driftwood from its numbers? Of its 13000+ Members how many are no longer active in any aspect of SETI/BOINC. Why not consider dumping all members who have been inactive for a certain time period (say 6 months, to be fair)?

I would hate to see Members dropped if they wish to remain apart of the team, but is it worth keeping the driftwood just to have a large membership?

Now if we could light a fire under even 5% of those inactive members Team Art Bell could easily be the number 1 or 2 team out there.
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 12-28-2005 11:00 PM

Yes, while we have over 13000 members, Boincstats shows only 512 are active. I wish we could tap into that vast resource, then we would be unbeatable. I suppose the early days of Boinc were a little rocky and some people gave up on it in frustration. I was hoping the end of classic Seti would see a bigger influx of users. I've been seeing some new names zooming up the ranks (ouch! I got stomped!) and they are some huge crunchers. So maybe they will come around eventually. I think BOINC is getting better and easier all the time. I love the password feature.

I'd rather come up with some way to bring the strays into the fold instead of culling them from the herd. It's awful easy to leave a team. We lost Perle, a big cruncher to team 2cpu and I see Stan Pope, the classics stats guru crunches for The Planetary Society now. Stan invited me to Team Art Bell.

Would it be bad manners to mention Team Art Bell in other forums from time to time, as in, Yes, those aliens are pesky with their abductions and such and if your computer isn't doing anything else, won't you crunch some SETI for the Team?

Pam

:)
I wish I had my radio,
I'd tune it to some friendly voices....

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 12-29-2005 12:03 AM

I have no control over our stats page at Berkeley. I would like to, after a certain period of time, crop the inactives to make the number of members reflect what we actually have but I guess it's up to Angus (defunct member and founder). I will try his e-mail again if everyone agrees we should do some cropping but the last few I sent were bounced back.

Pam, and anyone else, of course you can mention Team Art Bell but don't solicit in other teams' forums. That could invite bad ju-ju:eek:

Tell your friends and neighbors and people you see on a daily basis. If you work at a large company (or any size for that matter)...ask if you can install BOINC/SETI@home on a number of, or all of, their machines. Make sure you have permission at work though.

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 12-29-2005 12:49 AM

If Angus is now defunct, and cannot be contacted to hand over control of his team, why not start a new team, say Team George Noory as he has replaced Art and build a new team with active members and an active admin?

Heck, with all the forums and Coast Fans it wouldn't be long before a new team of actual active members could give Team Art Bell a run for their money.

Unless Angus returns or hands over control to another Member...
Without Admin privledges the inactive members cannot be contacted...
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 12-29-2005 12:52 AM

I have most of the old e-mail addresses for the members. The only thing I can't do is purge the inactive members. I can probably talk David Anderson or Matt Lebofsky into helping out there though if it needs done.

I think we better stick with Team Art Bell. Team George Noory might not have the same attraction.;)

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 12-29-2005 12:55 AM

TABwebmaster wrote: I have most of the old e-mail addresses for the members. The only thing I can't do is purge the inactive members. I can probably talk David Anderson or Matt Lebofsky into helping out there though if it needs done.

I think we better stick with Team Art Bell. Team George Noory might not have the same attraction.;)

:)

I leave it in your capable hands then and hope that you'll keep us posted on any progress or lack there of :)
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 12-29-2005 12:58 AM

I should probably risk the backlash of sending out a mass mailing again. I will do that and invite all the original SETI@home crunchers to brave the new waters of BOINC if they haven't already joined. :D

Thanks for the inspiration, SETIcruncher!;)

Did you ever get one of the listserv e-mails from me? I sent out one about 7 times since I took over the webmaster job.

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 12-29-2005 01:04 AM

TABwebmaster wrote: Did you ever get one of the listserv e-mails from me? I sent out one about 7 times since I took over the webmaster job.

Never did, just joined the Team a week or so ago and have moved up the ranks over 700 positions with a single machine crunching in that short period.

May put on a couple more machines, well see what happens.
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

zargon
Pirate

Post by zargon » 12-29-2005 02:28 AM

why is it that every time I try to go past the first 20 on the Stats page I always get this error message

"can't read ../cache/74/team_display.php_teamid%3D30194%26sort_by%3Dexpavg_credit%26offset%3D20; lastmod "

Don't know if its just me or if everyone else has this problem.
Between the iron gates of fate,
The seeds of time were sown,
And watered by the deeds of those
Who know and who are known;
Knowledge is a deadly friend
When no one sets the rules.
The fate of all mankind I see
Is in the hands of fools.

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 12-31-2005 08:29 PM

I'm having the same problem. It's something to do with the data-driven webpages or the databases that hold the account info on their side.

If you click refresh a few dozen times usually it comes back.

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Re: Team Art Bell Driftwood

Post by Keith L Dick » 12-31-2005 09:14 PM

SetiCruncher wrote:

I'm Backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk and Crunchin'....

At about 500 times what I was before.. hehe

Hey Mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

I can't go into my Profile and change my old earthlink email to my new one nor can I PM you or anyone else....

Can you fix that??....

Thanks....
Last edited by Keith L Dick on 12-31-2005 10:07 PM, edited 1 time in total.

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 01-30-2006 02:44 PM

Anyone know if Angus (Team Art Bell Founder) was contacted or is he still defunct?

Are there plans to contact or trim the driftwood from the TAB Membership?

With SETI@home Classic long dead now, any members that have not made the transition to BOINC clearly are not going to.

Any updates?
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 01-31-2006 03:10 AM

One thing we *Do Not Want*... Is if those users are deleted and then their contributions to *Team Art Bell* are lost...

I can see where a few "may" have had major Computer crashes and lost all their data including their info for Seti, or they purchased a new machine and forgot the info and signed up again under a new name or they just gave up on the Project...

I had to do that myself becuase of a major *Crash* after nearly 4-years of being a member and too *DUMB* to write down all my info.... Like the Password... Doh!!!...

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 02-01-2006 01:07 AM

Keith L Dick wrote: One thing we *Do Not Want*... Is if those users are deleted and then their contributions to *Team Art Bell* are lost...

As I understand it, the team set up has been changed with the transition to BOINC to make things more fair. Any User who leaves a team does not take his contributions with him, in other words if I crunch 10 000 credits for Team Art Bell then decide to move to another team, although I keep my full personal credit, TAB does not lose those credits I contributed, but all future credits I crunch would be credited to my new team.

This set up was adopted to prevent Power Crunchers from bullying teams into doing what they personally want (apparently this was an issue with Seti Classic).

I would rather get Members crunching then remove them but after so long they become nothing more then driftwood used to boost Team numbers without ever contributing anything.

I still stand by the idea of removing all TAB members who have not contributed anything to Team Art Bell in the last six months or so. With Seti Classic more then a month dead now, those who have not made the transition clearly are not going to, or are now crunching under new names and accounts. If a Member or two has been sidelined due to computer issues I think giving people a six month window to contribute a single WU is more then fair.

But regardless of all our personal views, unless the Team's Founder can be contacted this is all just a waste of discussion (as the founder and founder alone has access to Members E-mail addresses and the power to remove inactive members).
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 02-01-2006 01:39 AM

I talked with David Anderson about this subject way back when BOINC was in early beta. He said that after BOINC went public and after SETI@home Classic was shut down totally that they would give a reasonable amount of time for the transferred membership to participate. I think he said 6 months. If they do that automatically, it doesn't hurt us in the least. Our Classic stats remain the same. Our BOINC stats wouldn't change either because it would only be those who never activated their accounts with BOINC that get removed.

SETI@home Classic was just shut down not too long ago. Does anyone remember the date? Then we can count down and if nothing happens within 6 months I will get a hold of David and see what's up.

And, really, it's just a number because if you go to Team Art Bell under BOINC and look at the member list...it cuts off at a low number because it's only listing Active members.

Return to “Team Art Bell”