Crunchers Break Room...

Seti Team Art Bell

Moderator: Super Moderators

Rocketman2
Pirate

Post by Rocketman2 » 01-28-2007 12:55 PM

Nice system, I am not the pc geek I used to be (haven't kept up with the latest pc's) but I bought the Asus A8N-SLI mobo because of all the features it had, including RAID SATA connections. So far it does everything I need it to.

So.....how many people here are regular listeners to Coast to Coast am?

pcalliance
Pirate

Cost to Coast AM

Post by pcalliance » 01-28-2007 06:41 PM

Hello Rocketman and Welcome to the forum. I believe I can speak for most of us here that we are all regular Coast listeners - however for no particular reason, we don't talk much about the show in this forum. No rules against it or anything...just geek-speak most of the time.

Hey Pam. Nice, nice system you have there. The one I built is similar but not quite as nice a processor. I've read on Internet blogs that some are taking the E6700 to 3.46 GHz stable with the standard Intel CPU fan. If you ever want to overclock you might end up near the top of the top CPU list for Seti. Perhaps YOUR pc may bring us up to 8th place...it's a lot of pressure I know but we're counting on you to get us there :) -J/K

cheers

-Patrick Holland

Rocketman2
Pirate

Post by Rocketman2 » 01-28-2007 08:37 PM

Ok, thanks for the info. As with all forums, there is etiquette to follow and I am glad to be informed and welcomed here.

pcalliance
Pirate

AMDX2 FX60

Post by pcalliance » 01-30-2007 12:30 PM

Hey Pam, are you applying the optimized seti client to your FX60?

-Pat Holland

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Re: AMDX2 FX60

Post by Pam Heinze » 01-30-2007 10:33 PM

pcalliance wrote: Hey Pam, are you applying the optimized seti client to your FX60?

-Pat Holland

Yes, I did. The revision 2 app was pretty good on it. And even with it, all my Intel's ran rings around it. There was even one sad day, where I was looking at the FX-60's Seti results and it was the SLOWEST- next to an E6600 and two Macs.

I did try overclocking that one, but I couldn't get the multiplier to go past 14 and Einstein would throw invalid errors when it was overclocked. PC Probe said the temps weren't that bad, in the 50's with a Big Typhoon. Maybe I don't have a big enough power supply on it, a 465 W Enermax.

Oh, that's another excuse not to overclock my Core 2 Duo's, they don't have very big power supplies, either. Those guys getting those big overclocks are using 600 W and up, aren't they? ;)
I wish I had my radio,
I'd tune it to some friendly voices....

pcalliance
Pirate

Those guys getting those big overclocks are using 600 W and

Post by pcalliance » 01-30-2007 11:07 PM

Thanks for the info Pam. I have to admit, I am running a 600 watt power supply with my E6600. Yes, it can make a difference, but not much. Kill-a-watt tells me I am only using 22 more watts at my current 24% overclock. I am only using 210 watts while running Seti (inludes 2 sticks of 1 Gig Ram, 4 hard drives - raid 5, and 2 DVD drives, 256 SLI Video). I'll bet your power supply can do it easily, all the way to 3.4GHz. After my overclock to 3GHz, my processor is only running at 116 F with the stock Intel heatsink and fan. I am taking it slowly to 3.2GHz.

I used to have nothing but AMD machines in my office (9 of them) but most have been retired and replaced with Intel.

I used to be an AMD man. I am partnered with them for my business. However, when it comes to seti, the new core2 duos seem to kick AMD's collective transitor. I am now partnered with Intel as well.

I hate to do this to you Pam but I think I must put it to a vote in the forum...:)

Who thinks Pam should eek up the processor speed a bit for the cause of Seti at Home in the name of Team Art Bell? :)

-Patrick Holland

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 01-31-2007 10:32 PM

Eek! Peer pressure! I can't take it!

I have played with it a little the last couple of days, and reading about it. The wireless card on the one computer stopped working, but that can't be from overclocking, can it? Since I can lock the PCI bus. I only went up to 300 fsb. But the wireless card hasn't come back on since I put it back to stock.

With the 300 fsb, that puts the cpu at 3.0 GHz. I cut the memory to 667. I sure can't find anywhere I can set the memory/fsb ratio, so I guess you adjust the memory. It only runs at 375 MHz at 667, while it would run at 450 MHz at 800, which I was worried might be a little much.

The temps haven't gone up much at all, to my surprise, so I'll keep fiddling with it and see how far I can take it.
I wish I had my radio,

pcalliance
Pirate

Eek! Peer pressure! I can't take it!

Post by pcalliance » 02-01-2007 08:43 AM

Pam, try taking it in baby steps... Try taking it in 2% increments. Don't forget to bump up the voltages slightly for the CPU, FSB and Memory.

When overclocking, the PCI bus should remain stable if the voltage and frequency are not touched. I never overclock the PCI/AGP bus. Going above 35MHz on the PCI can be bad for PCI and AGP cards.

My Core voltage is set at 1.4 volts (up from 1.3). What kind of RAM do you have? That can make a big difference, but only when overclocking the RAM itself. My Ram is overclocked from 667 to 837 at 2.15 volts. I have OCZ Gold memory (very overclockable). You can however overclock the CPU and CPU alone without touching anything else. You may need to start there.

My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6.

Try the wireless card in another PC to see if it works there, that could be telling.

Let me know....

-Pat Holland
Last edited by pcalliance on 02-01-2007 08:48 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 02-01-2007 07:41 PM

I got the wireless card back. I noticed in the device manager there was a big yellow question mark for SMBus. So I restored that by popping in the motherboard driver disk in and updating that driver. Then I was able to reinstall the wireless card and get it back.

I read one overclocking guide that said the P5B vanilla was not recommended for overclocking, and this trouble was on that board. I have Corsair XMS2 Cas 5 ddr2 800 on it. I had the PCI freq locked, so I'm not sure why the SMbus trouble came up.

But I'm still running the Bad Axe 2 board at 3.0 GHz and keeping an eye on the results it returns. It's still running at 55 deg C, which it was at default. I've left the voltages on auto for now and the PCI locked at 100/33. I have Crucial Ballistix Cas 4 ddr2 800 at 2.1 V, which I had to enter because the default voltage was 1.8 or .9. I'll keep reading the OC guides and try to go over 3 GHz this weekend.

We seem to be having a lot of upload and download trouble the last couple of days, so I hope they get it cleared up.

I got a cheap PCI card for the Pentium D 960 on the P5ld2-vm today, so maybe with the video card in place I can wring a little more RAC out of that.
I wish I had my radio,

pcalliance
Pirate

I got the wireless card back

Post by pcalliance » 02-02-2007 12:29 AM

Whew...I was about to send you a new wireless card thinking I led you down a path of thermal destruction...

Keep working on it...it's worth it, I increased my Seti RAC by almost 900 on my E6600 by overclocking and the optimized client.

Well, I just got a heap of new government IT projects to work on (always happens this time of year when their new budgets come in). I am going to be busy for a while (this burst usually lasts until late spring). The ice storm that moved through SW Missouri didn't help much. I am swamped!!!

Let me know how the OC is going...

-Patrick Holland

Rocketman2
Pirate

Post by Rocketman2 » 02-03-2007 10:41 PM

Is there any way to get Boinc to d/l more than two chunks of data to crunch on?

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 02-04-2007 12:24 PM

On Your Account page, you see General Preferences, Seti@Home preferences, Message Boards preferences.

In General Preferences, go down to "Connect to Network Every" where you can set it up to ten days. If you set it to 1 day, it will download a days worth of work. If you set it to three or four days, that is enough usually to protect against any protracted outages. I believe the default value is .1 day. This is a good setting if you like to run several projects on one machine, but if you run only Seti, then a big cache should be ok.:)

After you change the setting, go to your BOINC manager and under the projects tab, highlight Seti and hit update. You should get more work.
I wish I had my radio,

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 02-04-2007 02:25 PM

I tried to run the Bad Axe 2 at 320 fsb and it booted but I found later that it rebooted. After reading some more, it seems that one should set the memory at 533, so it runs 1:1 with the front side bus. I set it that way and sure enough it does. I was running 667, which was at 4:5 according to CPU-Z.

So I am trying 320 again. I am using Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool, which says it's only running 45-50 deg C at load. It sure doesn't look like heat is an issue at all. I am still running all the voltages at auto, although I am sure at some point I would need to start setting them manually to keep going higher.
I wish I had my radio,

Rocketman2
Pirate

Post by Rocketman2 » 02-04-2007 08:47 PM

Thanks Pam, When I was crunching keys for the RC-5 project, their client let you select how many work units to download, which I set to 1000. But evidently I have been away from this one long enough the brain rusted shut. Again....thanks.

pcalliance
Pirate

Overclocking

Post by pcalliance » 02-05-2007 08:53 AM

I am sure at some point you'll have to go higher, especially on the processor. Just fractions of volt can make a big difference. Keep up the good work!

-Patrick Holland

Return to “Team Art Bell”