New Optimized Clients for SETI@Home Enhanced

Seti Team Art Bell

Moderator: Super Moderators

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 05-27-2006 03:05 PM

Keith L Dick wrote:

Don't think I'm the Fastest
Well, I looked at a few of your results and your computer had the fastest times on the ones I looked at. And if you'd optimize the Seti app, I think you'd see a rebound in your RAC.

We may never see RACs like we had with the first Boinc Seti, but that's sort of the way it was with classic Seti. On my PIII 500 MHz, at first I could do two a day, then one, then it took a week to do one until I discovered command line.

The game is just a little more complicated now, but it's still on. :)
I wish I had my radio,
I'd tune it to some friendly voices....

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 05-27-2006 04:25 PM

I have the optimized clients I just haven't installed yet...

I remember when I first joined it took forever to do 1-unit, then I got one of the optimzed ones way back when and I think I was at about 10-hours a unit on my old PIII 800MHz machine... hehe :D

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 05-28-2006 01:33 AM

Well I got the *Optimized Client* up and running...

Now seeing units are going from 5-Hrs. to a bit over 1-Hr. with one that was added to the Cache at over 5...

The other Optimized Client before Enhanced went from 2-Hrs. to under 50-mins. each...

Have a few done, and reported but they are not showing up in my *Results* so I have no clue if they are okay or approved yet...

Backed up the Enhanced Version just in case, hehe...

I still think that since the *Graphics/Screensaver* is not working in any of the optimzed versions I have used is one of the main reasons for the Speed-Up..

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 06-10-2006 12:15 PM

I am trying out Suse 10.1 x86_64 and an boinc and enhanced Seti from here

I am trying the linux on AMD 64 one, which is labeled opteron and I don't have opteron but it hasn't errored out yet, but I guess we will see how it works out.

I went to Suse since it said at the lb.shuttle website that the 64 bit BOINC was actually slower on Ubuntu:( . But the Suse looks nice and it was free from here

I was laboring under the assumption that this 5.13 Seti was optimized but they don't say that, so I don't know if this will do what I hoped it will.
Last edited by Pam Heinze on 06-10-2006 12:19 PM, edited 1 time in total.
I wish I had my radio,

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 06-10-2006 06:32 PM

Yeah, I goofed, that post doesn't belong in here, that was just 64 bit boinc and seti, not optimized seti. Not the same thing at all.

:o

I caught Suse snoozing- BOINC manager was showing no progress and the CPU meter was down at 44%. Then Suse did the unforgivable- it froze.

Back to Ubuntu for me.

Sorry if I got anybody excited, but maybe Akosf will get into the game. Ned Slider says he won't do it anymore, that is too bad, his were the first optimized apps and clients I tried. He is a nice guy and helped me get them going.

But for now, there are still no optimized enhanced apps.:(
Last edited by Pam Heinze on 06-10-2006 06:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.
I wish I had my radio,

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 06-26-2006 08:09 PM

Simon Zadra, AKA KWSN-Chicken of Angnor has made his Linux SSE2 optimized client public. You can get it here

I linked to his website but you can also get them from the Crunchers Corner New Optimized Apps topic, where he has direct download links.

He's still working on a Windows optimized app.

There are also OSX optimized apps in that Cruncher's Corner thread too. Any Mac users on the team?
I wish I had my radio,

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 06-26-2006 10:08 PM

Hi Pam...

I doubt we have many if any Mac Crunchers here... Apple Addicts tend to stay with their own and not intermingle with PC Users, myself I like both platforms... :D

I'm sure we may have a few that have Mac's & PC's Crunching, I know I used to have an old Machintosh 8500 crunching along side my Intel 800 Mhz while I was still in L.A...

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 07-07-2006 08:51 PM

Watch the Seti@Home Cruncher's Corner for Simon Zadra's optimized Seti Enhanced application for Windows coming soon!:D
I wish I had my radio,

Pam Heinze
Pirate

They're Out- Windows Optimized Apps!

Post by Pam Heinze » 07-08-2006 10:55 PM

Ahoy, mateys-

Get your Windows optimized apps here!

Crunch on!
I wish I had my radio,

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 07-09-2006 07:31 PM

Pam,

I see you had a hand in the development of these new Op. Apps.

Congrats, from everything I've read they seem to be running well and most users are reporting a 25 - 40% increase in crunch speed.

I'm just getting it installed on my main machine now (I may even get around to installing it on my secondary cruncher, if all goes well :) ) but I'll thank you now in advance for all your hard work in making these Apps possible.

The Seti Crunching Community must have, by far, some of the most wonderful and helpful people on the net. :)
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 07-09-2006 08:56 PM

Did you see how Daniel Schalma made an optimized client but kept it only for Seti.USA? That could not stand! Since I'm not smart enough to make an optimized client myself, and too squeamish to break the rules by distributing Crunch3r's apps myself the way some other guys were doing, I was happy to help Simon bring these apps to everyone.

So go forth, Pirates and optimize! We shall be unstoppable and uncatchable.
I wish I had my radio,

Numanoid
Pirate

Post by Numanoid » 07-13-2006 01:07 PM

Wow, I love the optimized client! Great work on this! My RAC has increased dramatically. I finally broke 1000 and I'm hopefully headed to 1200 or so. I really want to get into the top 10 for TAB.

Does anyone know if the team founder posts here? I'd like to see all the non active users removed from the team. It would give us a more realistic appraisal of our work.

Crunch on!

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 07-13-2006 05:30 PM

Numanoid wrote: Does anyone know if the team founder posts here? I'd like to see all the non active users removed from the team. It would give us a more realistic appraisal of our work.

Crunch on!

TABWebmaster. listed Founder of Team Art Bell stops in from time to time. In terms of removing Driftwood from the Team, he's done a great job so far, we had 13,000+ members on Team Art Bell at one time, the vast majority had no BOINC credit and were not active. So far he has removed 3,500+ inactive members.

From what I've seen we only have about 1000 or so active members, but TABWebmaster is working on weeding out the inactive driftwood weighing us down :)
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 07-20-2006 08:40 AM

Yeah, I've removed a lot...it's tedious work because you have to check a box next to each name that has had 0 Total and 0 RAC. I like to do a lot at once which takes time. A lot at once because I'm afraid that some of those folks are new members possibly and I don't want to confuse them. One day they join TAB and the next they're no longer a member:eek:

I'll do another mass delete right now and see how much I can get done. The problem is the active members are all mixed up with folks who have 0 credit so what I usually do is find the longest continuous list of members with 0 credit and mark each end and then I can check all the boxes without looking at the rest of the info. It goes a lot faster that way and is a lot less strain on the eyes.

Thanks for that link to the optimized app Pam! You rock!

Return to “Team Art Bell”